Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  59 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 57 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [POLL] What is the biggest threat?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : What is the biggest threat?
Foreign operating systems splitting the user base
Lack of cheap, brand new hardware
Community toxicity / lack of moderation
Something other (please comment)

PosterThread
coldacid 
Re: [POLL] What is the biggest threat?
Posted on 26-May-2020 22:30:50
#21 ]

Quote:

thellier wrote:
Alzemeir affecting all the too old amigans " but what is an Omega?"

I know perfectly well what an Omega is, young man! I take three of them every day!

Profile     Report this post  
matthey 
Re: [POLL] What is the biggest threat?
Posted on 26-May-2020 22:56:38
#22 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

DBAlex wrote:
Lack of hardware but also "regularly available hardware".

You are never going to grow a userbase if new hardware is only available for a sporadic limited time. For example if someone has say £500 / $600 to spend on OS4 hardware now there is nothing apart from used and some people will just walk away and look at other stuff.

Good point but I would be more concerned about having a noncompetitive price/performance ratio. The RPi only outsells Amiga hardware by something like 10,000 to 1.

Quote:

If we had something like a PPC based Pi that ran OS4 (Something like Efika but more powerful) it would be much better.

The PPC ship has sailed and sank. PPC needs lots of caches and memory meaning you get less with the same resources and it is more expensive to be competitive. Reviews of the Efika were that it was handicapped by lack of memory.

Quote:

Review wrote:
The EFIKA has 128MB of RAM, and while MorphOS itself is very light on resources; some applications are not. This amount of RAM is not enough to properly multitask on MorphOS, and while this may seem like something you could adapt to, it really isn’t. It is very frustrating to keep watching the RAM meter at all times to make sure you aren’t running out.

You can get along with 128MB RAM running a few light applications, but you’re going to be in most trouble when running a web browser. More often than not, even when being the only application running, the Orygin Web Browser would eat up all the free RAM, often to a point where it couldn’t even load a single web page because there was no room anymore for it in RAM! And trust me, in this day and age, it’s really annoying to have to close all your applications to free up just enough memory to load your web browser, and then hope that the page you are looking for will still fit in RAM.

https://www.osnews.com/story/22315/morphos-23-efika/3/

Severe lack of memory is bad for reputation but adding more ups the price. One of the biggest complaints with the first RPis was also lack of memory and it had 256MiB. The first instinct is that ARM has better code density than PPC but the first RPis only supported ARMv6 so no Thumb 2. The original Thumb was supported which offered inferior code density and at a much higher cost in performance due to elevated instruction counts. The result was that Linux distros often used the 32 bit ARM instruction set which has barely better code density than 32 bit PPC code. Even though later RPis received 64 bit AArch64 support, some still use 32 bit ARM code so the distribution will run on all RPis. AArch64 compares favorably at a quick glance to even 32 bit PPC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTyfDPXIN6i4thorNXak5hlP0FQpqpZFk2sgauXgYZPdtJX7FvVgabfbpCtHTkp5Yo9ai6MhiQqhgyG/pubhtml?gid=909588979&single=true

RPi was able to use old mass produced mobile chips to bring down the price but really didn't do much to reduce the footprint to a minimum using the best standards available from ARM. The Amiga pushed the small footprint further back in the 68k days and really didn't even try to leverage that advantage. 256MiB seems like a lot of memory on the 68k Amiga which originally came with 256kiB.

Quote:

I'd take that even further and try and bundle a "frontend" interface to RunInUAE and get it into the mainstream market with a joystick, something like the C64 DTV.

Problem would be pricing, I think the limit would be £100/$150 ish. Even that would too much for some folks i'd imagine. Look at how popular the SNES Mini, NES Mini, Megadrive Mini etc have been though.

Most modern mini console devices have been ARM CPUs using an emulator. This is a quick, dirty and cheap way to make money but not how you expand a user base. Jay Miner snuck in a keyboard port and memory expansion to the game console he was supposed to be designing which later became the Amiga computer.

Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle