Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish.
Register To Post

PosterThread
fishy_fis 
So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish.
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 6:42:02
#1 ]
Elite Member

Bit of a random disjointed post, but hopefully making it will encourage me......

Some of you here are perfectly decent people, just enjoying a hobby for what it is. To you I apologize for my mostly poor behavior in recent and semi recent times.
Perhaps ironically in response to them I've become a very part of what I hate about this scene...... one of "those" people.

Life can be brutal, and while there's no need to go into it I've got a heck of a lot on my plate, have for years, and will for years to come. It makes a persons tolerance limited.

The Amiga was my main hobby for decades, a way I escaped, and doing something I enjoy.
Nowadays, to be too involved is an unhealthy environment. Like hanging out at an asylum socially. It messes with you.
I'm joking there, but there's some genuine truth to it too unfortunately.

It's time for me to mosey off into the sunset I think. I no longer enjoy the scene. That particular list of people (I have zero doubt that list would be much the same for those of you at least semi-sane) has infected it too heavily, myself included, and I have zero desire to add to that infection for those of you who are "normal" people just trying to enjoy a hobby. That'd feel entirely too hypocritical.

Hopefully by making this post I can break the decades long habit of routinely visiting Amiga sites, etc.

Profile     Report this post  
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Re: So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish.
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 7:00:59
#2 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@fishy_fis

Friend Fishy,
it is an event I'll personally mourn.

You were and are one of the very few here who possessed this lost mythical relic once known as "common sense".

GODSPEED, friend.
Godspeed.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL,
thy brother in underscore.

klx300r 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 7:03:19
#3 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

good luck though I tried to leave when Commodore going bust broke my heart but for me anyway once an amigan always one and I couldn’t help but check in on the Amiga forums regularly even in the worst times ...once I saw Amiga itself still had some life I couldn’t abandon it so if I were you I’d just check in every once and a while to check in on all the amazing new hardware and games and demos being released lately which is actually been very impressive the past 3 years and more and don’t let ‘those’ people annoy you while your enjoying your hobby

Last edited by klx300r on 23-Jun-2020 at 07:04 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Raffaele 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 9:04:54
#4 ]

@fishy_fis

Please reconsider your decision...

OldAmigan 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 11:40:06
#5 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

I can understand how you feel but try this - visit but don't log in every time, then you have a little pause to count to ten if you really do want to answer a post.

Don't let 'those people' get to you too much, and come back to regular posting when you've cooled off some.

Either way, best of luck in whatever you're at, fella

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

amigang 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 11:47:07
#6 ]
Elite Member

It’s always a shame to see someone leave the Amiga world, specially one with so many post and time here.

Best of luck I hope u still pop by now and again.

tonyw 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 12:07:58
#7 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Mate, don't take it all so seriously. There are better things to worry about in life, like avoiding the dreaded CV.

As someone said above, just read things from time to time to keep up, don't log in, and you won't feel obliged to comment on subjects that get you worked up.

If you feel that you are missing out, you could always join in the developing scene. There are several groups still actively developing and testing.

BTW, where are you in Oz?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

redfox 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 16:51:04
#8 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Best wishes for you fishy_fis.

---
redfox

amigadave 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 19:43:37
#9 ]

@fishy_fis,

I will 2nd tonyw suggestion, and encourage you to continue enjoying your Amiga hobby, by becoming active in developing new software/games for any, or all of the Amiga camps that you have the ability to run that camps OS. Check in on forums only occasionally, don't log in, which will help you refrain from posting and joining the insanity that is most prevalent on all forum sites. I think you will find learning and creating on your Amiga and Amiga-Like systems, can be very fun and rewarding, and definitely a welcome change from the toxicity of forums.

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@fishy_fis

Mate, don't take it all so seriously. There are better things to worry about in life, like avoiding the dreaded CV.

As someone said above, just read things from time to time to keep up, don't log in, and you won't feel obliged to comment on subjects that get you worked up.

If you feel that you are missing out, you could always join in the developing scene. There are several groups still actively developing and testing.

BTW, where are you in Oz?

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 20:26:52
#10 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Same happened to me yet in 2011 here.

Please consider changing forums entirely to another ones and the location of amiga-backed events.

Also, please reconsider getting back in ca. 10 years as I ultimately did.

matthey 
Posted on 23-Jun-2020 23:56:57
#11 ]

@fishy_fis
The Amiga is an emotional roller coaster ride. The situation is frustrating which makes it tough to maintain a good attitude. Unfortunately, bad attitudes affect the Amiga community which is probably the most valuable asset the Amiga has left. Sometimes we need a stress reliever and maybe getting away for awhile will be healthy. Your self reflection is a good start and should help you become a better person.

Trekiej 
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 2:25:40
#12 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Please stay if you can.
If it helps, take time off and come back when you are refreshed.

It is agitating to hope and wish that your favorite platform will live to see one more day.
Lately it has been doing well and I hope it gets better.

I hope you stick around.
Sincerely.

John 3:16

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 2:53:02
#13 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Bye!

kolla 
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 5:45:24
#14 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Cheers, and good luck!

My "solution" is to keep a certain tongue-in-cheek attitude towards all the nonsense that takes place in the realms of Amiga, and not waste too much "feelings" on what others are posting on forums. I have been told again and again (by people of rather "high rank") that I must be mental and should seek psychiatric help, since I spend so much time "trolling" on forums, while the truth is that I mostly post from my phone while commuting the bus, or like now, while eating breakfast and reading my "morning cron-mail" (sysadm habit).

These boards by no means represent the majority of "the community", only perhaps the most "vocal" fraction of it - keep that in mind, there are other social platforms where more sane people meet for sharing and enjoying :)

(Btw - I am posting this from IBrowse 2.5.3 on my MiST - at last we have a secure low-end browser that works well with the Amiga forum boards - this is not the time to leave, hehe)

Last edited by kolla on 24-Jun-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 15:03:12
#15 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Well the Amiga, be it involving computers, or just forum visits, is like a relationship. Each had their own journey and sadly, there can come a point, when it just isn't fun anymore. You must be at that stage or close enough.

There are complaints in this world about toxic masculinity. In our world, the Amiga world as it happens, there can be toxic Amigalinity. Unfortuately you have discovered this. If this means you to need have a break or leave, then so be it. It is time consuming, as rarely a visit here is there anything I don't want to read, or something to reply about.

But, before you go, off into bluer waters perhaps, I just wanted to ask. What is the deal with the "fishy_fis" name? Puns alert. It all looks a bit fishy to me. As if a letter is missing on the end. What the H is going on there? It implies a "fishy fish" but doesn't say that, it cuts short. Did the H fall off and get lost in the water or or something?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle