Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Luc:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  31 mins ago
 kolla:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Apple moving to arm, the end of x86
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Apple moving to arm, the end of x86
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 8:16:32
#181 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

and Apple can make money with authorised centres...

but I would say it this way... who buys something from apple gets what he or she deserves

and yes Apple earns the money with the iPhones, computers (be it notebooks or desktops) are only of small importance today

Profile     Report this post  
Amigo1 
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 11:34:12
#182 ]

@OlafS25

Haha, funny when I'm with apple fanboys I say exactly the opposite!

Who buys something not from Apple gets what he or she or it (and every other new in-between sexes) deserves!

Especially when thy loose their phones or their system is obsolete or brakes after 13 months and they don't get replacement.

Oh wait.. this makes me sound like an Apple fanboy! I hate apple, I hate apple, I hate google, I hate facebook, I love Microsoft for saving apple, I hate microsoft for their low quality products over decades and how they made more money out of people and public institutions, I only love AAAAAAmmiiiiiga! Because only A-A-A-A-mi-ga makes it Po-si on-ly A-mi-ga makes it, on-ly a-mi -ga maaaakes it po- siii- BL!

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 17:16:19
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

how is apple making that record profit all the time?

Certainly not by being famous for attractive low prices

And the company is known for the behavior to force the customers to go to authorized and of course expensive repair center

Apple certainly not makes bad products but the products certainly are overprized. Additionally I do not like the behavior and attitudes of Apple and thus do not buy their products.

You can of course do what you want

amigang 
Posted on 11-Nov-2020 12:01:09
#184 ]
Elite Member

First Apple Arm powered devices, powered by M1. https://www.apple.com/
MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini

3x performance, low watts, much longer battery, but connectivity looks to be cut back, much less upgradeable ability gone, which lets face it, largely thanks to apple, has been disappearing specially in mobile hardware anyway. More lock down on what apps will be able to run on it, sound as if everything going to have to go though the App store so Apple make more money with the Cut of 30%.

And finally no real saving in money / cost of these devices! Not that surprising when its Apple, but still the Man Mini your basically paying for IPad hardware at the same price, minus the screen and cameras.

I think apple is going to have a hard time convincing the Pro user that this is all a good thing, (photoshop is not out for it till next year) but then the general public who do buy these machine just for web browsing and email (I SEEN THIS!!! drive me nuts when people who be perfectly fine with a chrome book, or even a pi most likely would do for there computer needs, own a MacBook or a iMac.) I think they might not know a difference and Apple will be even richer!

amigang 
Posted on 11-Nov-2020 12:20:05
#185 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I do wonder if this could lead to Apple making MacOS for its other Arm devices?

I kinda surprise to not really see it happen or pushed more and that is a simple Dock for your Phone that turns into a Desktop, Samsung offer it with there Dex mode, review here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsK1RmWamPY

I do wonder if Apple would ever consider it?

Kronos 
Posted on 11-Nov-2020 15:17:02
#186 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Quote:

but still the Man Mini your basically paying for IPad hardware at the same price, minus the screen and cameras.

+ more RAM
+ more storage
+ more ports
+ cooling (aka more performance)

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 11-Nov-2020 15:31:27
#187 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

amigang wrote:
@amigang

I do wonder if this could lead to Apple making MacOS for its other Arm devices?

Wait friend amigang, amigang will soon reply to you.

MRJM

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 12:21:51
# ]

Quote:

clebin wrote:

Let's just wait for the benchmarks shall we?

Well... there we are then.

But as amigang says, it's just overpriced iPad hardware. No-one's going to care that the entry-level MacBook Air is faster than the current top-of-the-range i9-based MacBook Pro, except with no fan and an 18-hour battery life. They want it to be different from the iPad so that they can tell their friends... or something.

I love how worked up some people get about Apple.

Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 12:39:55
# ]

@amigang

Quote:
but then the general public who do buy these machine just for web browsing and email (I SEEN THIS!!! drive me nuts when people who be perfectly fine with a chrome book, or even a pi most likely would do for there computer needs, own a MacBook or a iMac.) I think they might not know a difference and Apple will be even richer!

Also... didn't you spend £2000 on an OS4 machine that can't even do web browsing and email properly? People in glass-houses and all that.

Report this post  
Fl@sh 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 12:41:52
#190 ]

@clebin

it's really incredible how much inefficient x86 is!

amigang 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 14:26:03
#191 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:
Also... didn't you spend £2000 on an OS4 machine that can't even do web browsing and email properly? People in glass-houses and all that.

Yes but that an Amiga :) . Also that is a small community effort of building a custom hardware for a market of no more than a 1 to 2 thousands Amiga users. I'm sure if A-EON was targeting a market of the size of Apple they could of got the pricing down on the hardware, specially if they also know they are going to be taken a cut of 30% of all sales of apps/games on that hardware too.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 18:39:32
# ]

@amigang

The point is not the how much it costs to make. The point is that you can't patronise people and say they're irrational, style-led or whatever for choosing a Mac over a PC (which I would argue does have some advantages) if you're splashing out two grand for an underpowered Amiga with very little practical utility whatsoever. It's hypocritical. Let people buy what they want to buy and like what they want to like.

Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Report this post  
kamelito 
Posted on 12-Nov-2020 19:01:16
#193 ]
Cult Member

The problem is the OS, it is far too obsolete for today standard so better stick to 68k.

agami 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 3:04:25
#194 ]

@amigang

Quote:
Yes but that an Amiga :) . Also that is a small community effort of building a custom hardware for a market of no more than a 1 to 2 thousands Amiga users. I'm sure if A-EON was targeting a market of the size of Apple they could of got the pricing down on the hardware, specially if they also know they are going to be taken a cut of 30% of all sales of apps/games on that hardware too.

What are you saying?
1. If A-EON was operating at Apple scale, it would be OK to spend £2000 on A1 just for web browsing and email?
or
2. If A-EON was operating at Apple scale, users would be paying much less for an A1 that can't even do web browsing and email properly?

Last edited by agami on 13-Nov-2020 at 03:05 AM.

amigang 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 11:22:50
#195 ]
Elite Member

What Im saying is Im a die hard Amiga fan, anyone who even reads this I think would qualify.

I knew what I was getting, and I think the AmigaONE X1000 was/is a dam fine effort when you think about the budget and size of the community. No need to attack that effort. Yes do I wish it was better in not just software support but in price, yes, I think we all would but I think A-eon did what they could with the resource they had.

Apple most likely spent the budget and have more staff than the entire AmigaOne development to run one Apple Store, what I dont like is the rising cost of computing hardware, when I was a kid, my family couldn't afford a PC or Mac, and was kind of teased at school for it. Teachers and the world made it seem you needed Windows or a Mac to get computing done.

I did a lot of my school and college work on my Amiga, and I realised later on just how much it pushed above it weight in letting me do the work and found it shocking and a crime that in the late 90s there was no real home affordable computer, my first PC was a second hand run down business PC, that I needed to have simple due to the software no longer being on the Amiga.

Amiga helped me as a kid get into computing, that without it I would of been simple priced out of my family if it was left up to Apple. which is why I do have a particular dislike for them, specially when a lot of there adverts is about there device empower you and you need apple to be successful. well Im sorry it BS!! And I do feel sorry for kids today who I know most likely get teased for not owing an iPhone or not having a MacBook or the parents being conned into thinking they need to spend that much to have a good a computer.

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 14:13:32
# ]

@amigang

Mate, I'm not attacking the X1000 or your choice to buy one!

I'm saying "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Your record is not exactly squeaky-clean when it comes to rational and cost-focussed purchase decisions, let's put it that way. Neither is mine, FWIW!

Last edited by clebin on 13-Nov-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 13-Nov-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 16:07:33
#197 ]
Elite Member

@kamelito

The 68K is too slow to do much of anything. It's nice living in the 90's for a while but then I want a more modern system. The OS been updated heaps but it always looks like a lot of hard work put into it that just isn't good enough and takes too long to make a difference with.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 19:05:10
#198 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Yes, there is lot untapped potential in X1000, X5000, and even X1222 that is coming. The PowerPC chips use might not compete with fastest x64’s 8 cores, but they are crazy fast compared to 680x0. In my PC I have old i5, I thinking about upgrading the CPU, but there is really no point, I don’t need the extra CPU power, I wonder if come to point where its not really a need for anything faster, I wonder if the software bloat as problem catching up, right now.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 07:06 PM.

IridiumFX 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 20:03:44
#199 ]

Sometimes I feel honestly confused to see all these Amiga (custom hardware down its DNA, OS custom tailored to fit the hardware like a dress) people denigrating the only company doing custom designs still alive.

I am so confused about the rants about the superiority of the beige box of standard connectors that to my eyes it seems I am reading comments of pc guys.

Then I remember this is actually AmigaWorld, so it's probably sarcasm and the dumb is certainly me being unable to see it, because there's no way the Amiga paladins here have really mutated to become PC salespeople.

Or, even worse, what once was a proud community, cannot have become a "there's an apple sticker on it, so 100000 engineers working to create a product automatically suck and their brains will only start working again once they leave Apple"

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 21:36:20
#200 ]
Elite Member

@IridiumFX

Well I love a few custom chips in AmigaONE, but sadly it was not deigned that way, having the legacy PAULA, CIAA/CIAB and bitter might have helped a lot software. Most of 680x0 software is not abstracted, from the hardware, well there always option like sound.device and gameport.device, and lowlevel.device etc, and timer.device, and graphic.library but most people who writing software for 680x0 suck.. they don't care about syetem devices and libraries. let's poke the hardware they say...

When games in 2020 are released as ADF and can’t be installed on HD, without warping it in WHDLOAD, there is something really wrong.

And its not the computer its wrong with..

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Nov-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle