Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 clint:  12 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiga.com change - what happens next?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Amiga.com has changed - now with picture
Posted on 14-Jul-2020 22:26:22
#41 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I am informed that Mike is willing to answer questions in the following thread:

https://twitter.com/mikelabatt/status/1283148043689304066

Quote:
Efficiturque id, quod Pythagoras vult in amicitia ut unus fiat ex pluribus.

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 14-Jul-2020 23:46:52
#42 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I haven't used Babelfish for a while now, but it's remarkable how many phrases translate to "Oops, something went wrong."

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 15-Jul-2020 3:11:02
#43 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@MrFrench

Quote:

MrFrench wrote:
@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

"And how could he know that company for oh so many years as you do, if he is a mere newborn! Crying in his cradle. Being breastfed."

You left one out... AND MESSING HIS DIAPER...

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL is the KING!

I love reading the Amiga funnies.

Friend MrFrench,
thanks for your public appreciation.

In such dark times where we are besieged by deadly viri, by economic uncertainty, by Trevor Dickinson, levity is paramount.

Let the nonsense be called out, let sarcasm replace forceful politeness, let messages be last_edited_by!

Forever cheers,
MEGA_RJ_MICAL

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 15-Jul-2020 7:47:02
#44 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Cloanto has nothing to do with it.

Please ask directly:

https://twitter.com/mikelabatt/status/1283148043689304066?s=20

BigD 
Posted on 15-Jul-2020 12:16:46
#45 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Please ask directly:

Why? Forums are far better than social media for Press Releases and this should come under that heading IMHO!

My guess is that like Trevor purchasing ExecSG, Mike has bought the www.amiga.com domain as an individual rather than as the CEO of Cloanto.

He has done so presumably as the 'white knight' of the Amiga community for the good of the remaining Amiga parties; A-EON, Cloanto and Hyperion in particular. This would be in order to unite them all for the good of the remaining community; Blue, Red, Classic, Vampire and AROS. The website will be used as a peace offering and to build bridges with Hyperion especially!

The hope is that the goodwill will extend to all corners of Amiga-dom, ushering in a new era of prosperity and hobbyist computing nirvana!

... is that about right Mike?

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 10:25:32
#46 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

From Twitter:

Quote:
ectomorph @ectom0rph · Jul 14
Question: what are your plans with http://amiga.com?

Mike @mikelabatt Replying to @ectom0rph
Thanks for asking. We have to remain open minded until the legal cases we inherited are resolved. The pandemic did not help achieve a speedy resolution. Once there is clarity, more will become possible. 10:58 PM · Jul 14, 2020

I think I prefer my conjecture. If the only answers Mike was going to give revolved around the need to get the court case dealt with then I fail to see why he announced anything at all!

An apt press release would have been;

"Cloanto CEO buys old retro computer domain! Tune in next year to see what he does with it after the Amiga parties duke it out in court!"

TRIPOS 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 12:34:56
#47 ]

@BigD

There has been no ”announcement” here at all, and the fact that they own the domain (as well as other Commodore IP) is old news since years. The only new thing was the picture on the amiga.com website, and the mentioning of an “Amiga Corporation” at the bottom of the page.

Regarding companies, there are several of them. First the italian Cloanto, that also has a US branch through a second company. The money for the legal processes aren’t coming from Cloanto, but from their *real* business outside the Amiga sphere (i.e. a third (or more) company). Then there is the “C-A Acquisition Corporation” (C-A probably stands for “Commodore-Amiga”), with appears to have the sole purpose of being an IP holder. This company may have changed its name to “Amiga Corporation” (or may not yet), or a new company might have been started (or might be in the future) with that name, or another name. In discussions it doesn’t really matter though, everyone will understand that if you mention “Cloanto” in the context of old Commodore/Amiga IP, then it is “Mike Battilana and his companies” you mean.

Regarding his motives, it indeed seems to be something “white knight” over it, and his comments in that Twitter post now reconfirmed that the future path is not set in stone, but depends on the outcome of many things. He welcomes community discussion about it, anything is potentially on the table, including putting the IP in a foundation, open source, etc: https://amigaworld.net//modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 13:39:17
#48 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
There has been no ”announcement” here at all, and the fact that they own the domain (as well as other Commodore IP) is old news since years. The only new thing was the picture on the amiga.com website, and the mentioning of an “Amiga Corporation” at the bottom of the page....

...He welcomes community discussion about it, anything is potentially on the table, including putting the IP in a foundation, open source, etc: https://amigaworld.net//modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

It would have been far easier to actually HAVE an announcement asking for input and discussion rather than us having to join the dots and then flock to Twitter!

Good luck to Mike but either he wants to be official and open about this or he'd be better staying quiet until the court case is over IMHO.

If my opinion is valid; the domain would be good as a stage for educating the world about the Amiga community as it is today (all flavours). If it linked to all the major websites and was a spiritual successor to the Amiga Web Directory then I'd be happy.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 16:33:31
#49 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Quote:
...He welcomes community discussion about it, anything is potentially on the table, including putting the IP in a foundation, open source, etc: https://amigaworld.net//modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

It would have been far easier to actually HAVE an announcement asking for input and discussion rather than us having to join the dots and then flock to Twitter

That thread I was linking to above is (today) exactly three years old. *That one* was based on an actual announcement.

The things you are complaining about here is merely some forum members own posts...

Last edited by TRIPOS on 17-Jul-2020 at 04:34 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 17:19:28
#50 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

No, I am complaining about those 'in the know' flocking to Twitter and having Mike's ear for discussion about what to do with amiga.com when the rest of the world is unaware that anything has changed nor even considering that Mike is EVER going to do anything worthwhile with it! The court case strangles any positivity IMHO. I would have just placed a knowing comment on the website like:

"Do you remember when retro computing didn't get involved in the law courts?"
(C= XOR patent dispute notwithstanding )

That or an A-EON type cryptic clue

Last edited by BigD on 17-Jul-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 17:35:55
#51 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
when the rest of the world is unaware that anything has changed

What makes you think that rest of the world gives a flying F what happens in world of Amiga?

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jul-2020 17:56:57
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

True, they don't but this sort of Parish Village Hall type 'juice box chat' is part of the problem IMHO! Is Mike the Amiga's new president or the bloke at the pub that will shift you a cheap Blizzard accelerator with a free copy of Amiga Forever and an Amiga coaster?

Why shouldn't there be an announcement that while Mike's hands are tied during the court case he is open to suggestions about how the website could be used in the future for the benefit of all Amiga parties / communities? Is that so much to ask? Why instead is there this whole, "Go to Twitter, ask for Mike and say that number6 sent you!" type interactions?

Last edited by BigD on 17-Jul-2020 at 05:58 PM.

bison 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 4:13:25
#53 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Mike has been criticized in the past for *not* communicating, so apparently he is currently in a no-win situation. But he is right: nothing of substance is going to happen until *after* the lawsuit is settled. Not what we all wanted to hear, but that's the way of it.

Hondo 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 6:41:43
#54 ]

I know we have probably been told this before, but there is so much scattered info around, that it's hard to follow.

1. When and where precisely will this lawsuit take place?

2. Could someone with good knowledge of the case, explain what is expected / probably will be the outcome?

kolla 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 11:03:19
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

1. When it’s ready, two more weeks

2. An announcement, obviously

BigD 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 11:06:20
#56 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Why change amiga.com's graphic then? Here are some alternative splash screens!

"The Amiga is on hold see you in 2021!"

"Do you remember when Amiga meant friend? So do we but that ain't now as I'm in court giving Cloanto's Amiga Forever profits to the the fat cat lawyers and duking it out with a major Amiga partner in court! How things change! Here's to a peaceful future of cooperation and enterprise!"

"Hyperion, do you remember when Amiga meant friend? Let's be friends and save some semblance of Amiga market before we blow it all up!"

"Good luck Stephen Jones, the Apollo Team and other Amiga entrepreneurs. We hope that you can keep your heads above water until licensing of the Amiga IP is possible again. If not, so long and thanks for all the fish! At least you don't have the unenviable task of bringing the Tabor to market. Matthew we are rooting for you!"

... there are many more productive uses for www.amiga.com right now than talking around the impossibility of doing anything until the court case is finished! Changing the picture is not high on my list of priorities

Again, Mike's a nice guy but we're used to, "When it's done! " or "Just two more weeks! " so let's not pretend this situation is any different!

Last edited by BigD on 18-Jul-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Jul-2020 at 11:10 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 11:12:17
#57 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Yeah, he could sell boing socks and coupons... real retro stuff :)

Btw - I use this opportunity to announce that I will too add a picture to my fabulous web site. Really soon, and it will be awesome.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 11:21:41
#58 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

How about just posting a giant

With, "When it's done!" underneath?

To be this self referential would take some Boing Balls!

paolone 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 13:11:25
#59 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@number6

I haven't used Babelfish for a while now, but it's remarkable how many phrases translate to "Oops, something went wrong."

OR, you might consider studying ancient Romans language. If I am not wrong (I've not used my under-average skills at Latin since 1992), it says

"we'll friendly do, as Pitagora wants, whatever it's needed to create a single one from many"

In a nutshell, he's suggesting they're collecting the 'parts' to 'make one' again. Please notice the verb efficio can be translated either with 'to do' or 'to collect': it has a lot of meanings in Latin as like as 'to make' has many in english. Don't ask me, however, why Mike decided to quote Pitagora, or what 'in amicitia' can mean.

Last edited by paolone on 18-Jul-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Last edited by paolone on 18-Jul-2020 at 01:17 PM.

number6 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 14:13:22
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
1. When and where precisely will this lawsuit take place?

Filing 92 from April 20, 2020 lists the "then" former schedule and the new proposed schedule.
for when (past tense)

for where

I said "past tense" because Hyperion's new attorney filed for further extension of dates a few days ago.

Quote:
2. Could someone with good knowledge of the case, explain what is expected / probably will be the outcome?

No. That's exactly why the vast majority of civil cases go to settlement where the parties can be sure of the outcome as opposed to risking the greater uncertainty that a trial offers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle