Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  9 mins ago
 matthey:  10 mins ago
 RobertB:  11 mins ago
 pavlor:  43 mins ago
 VooDoo:  44 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  while I kinda like AmigaKit
Register To Post

PosterThread
cc3d 
while I kinda like AmigaKit
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 2:31:42
#1 ]

they could do a better job on communication.

Maybe it's just me, but I am on my third order and the only thing that tells me they are there is
that 1) my paypal gets charged and 2) a package shows up sometime after the paypal charge.

On my first order, I sent in a question, got no response.

On my second order, I included specific options for the order as they allow, but these were ignored. I sent in a note and got no response.

I'm in on my third order and the order shows pending. I imagine it will stay that until my package shows up...

just fussing.

Profile     Report this post  
Trekiej 
Re: while I kinda like AmigaKit
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 5:47:02
#2 ]
Cult Member

@cc3d

I have had good relation with Amigakit.
I have received all of my orders that I have placed with them.
www.amigakit.com

Last edited by Trekiej on 24-Jul-2020 at 05:48 AM.

John 3:16

Trixie 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 7:53:38
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cc3d

Quote:
they could do a better job on communication.

The following is not an excuse but I'll tell you this: I spent two weeks with AmigaKit last summer and I could see the guys were extremely busy, holiday period or not. Despite having a young temp in the office, the guys were snowed under all the time! Matthew rarely left the office before 8pm. I felt they were understaffed but I understand that hiring another full-time employee would cut into the budget for the Amiga Developer project and other activities.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

kolla 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 13:35:46
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

So why do they insisting on bringing even more work to themselves, like a self imposed denial of service attack...

Trixie 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 14:39:29
#5 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kolla

I am the wrong person to ask

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

cc3d 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 21:30:22
#6 ]

@Trekiej

Yep, and Starbucks sells coffee. Neither has anything to do with my point.

Just saying...

Dege 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 12:05:40
#7 ]

I love the stuff they have for sale but their communication skills are the absolute pits. It has taken on average 2 1/2 months to receive what I've ordered. I know the pandemic has caused issues but it takes a month or longer for the order to move from "pending" to "picking", whatever that means, and another month or longer for it to arrive. During this this time I have ordered from other stores and I get shipping info in a few days and in 2-3 weeks I have what I ordered.

I've emailed them once a week simply asking for a status to no avail. On one of my earlier orders I did receive a reply and they were very nice. To their credit they took care of some ordering issues I had with that order. They also told me about being overwhelmed with orders and understaffed. I get it that they have issues but until they clean up their act this last order will indeed be the last I make with them.

cc3d 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 17:06:38
#8 ]

@Dege

That's exactly what I am talking about. I've been in a lot of different business and things get crazy, but communication is what keeps people calm and reassured they're spending their money with someone or that they'll actually get what they ordered.

What other Amiga stores can you recommend?

kolla 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 18:06:37
#9 ]
Elite Member

@cc3d

Quote:

What other Amiga stores can you recommend?

Any of the ones that AmigaKit has seen necessary to domain-squat the dot-com variant of are probably well worth using, so at least...

amigapassion.co.uk - NOT amigapassion.com
amigashop.eu - NOT amigashop.com

etc. :)

Rob 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 20:40:17
#10 ]
Elite Member

@cc3d

Since you're in the US it would make sense for AOTL to be your first port of call when looking to order new Amiga bits and pieces.

When they started out they were focused on NG but have since branched out into 68k and have been expanding their product range over the past few years so if they don't have something you want it maybe worth asking.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 21:46:19
#11 ]
Elite Member

@cc3d

I used to more positive about AmigaKIT

I’m not sure who is responsible for A-EON web page, but it’s just a disaster.
link that go nowhere, link that point to wrong product, the web page feels inconsistent.

AmiStore is also another disaster, right now I wonder way they did not make normal webstore, it be easier, it should work, not depend on outdated web browser on AmigaOS, that can’t update their SSL encryption automatically.

Making subclass hardware for Amiga1200/500 sure it be interesting for a few people, it seems to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig, wont it be better to give the pig steroids? I’m thinking Warp060 and Vampire upgrades.

Don’t get me wrong, I do think “PRISMA MEGAMIX” is interesting sound card, considering it offload all audio decoding, and frees up CPU cycles. some thing even fast computers can benefit from.

The Joystcik stuff is also interesting, but in my option it a bit like a brick, but I guess its matter of taste.

I don’t get way they are wasting time on datatype for OS3.x, when Hyperion is working on 3.1.2, and I guess AROS already have their own datatypes, it seams to me like a lost cause.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Jul-2020 at 09:46 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 21:54:11
#12 ]
Elite Member

@cc3d

Amiga Classic is strange world, for long there has been no new models, so your selling upgrades. But what if the classic Amiga is replaced with new Amiga like Vampire standalone, it kill's the aftermarket, as you wont need the sound card addon, you need hd controller addon, you won’t need graphic card addon, you don’t need memory upgrades, and its should run almost all the 68k software. And the upgrades don’t even fit, wrong voltage levels, incompatible connectors. And no need to buy software because comes cd full pirated software.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Jul-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Jul-2020 at 09:57 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 26-Jul-2020 2:06:29
#13 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

it seems to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig, wont it be better to give the pig steroids?

As I read your post in the soothing candlelight of my master bedroom, I gasped in epiphany:
I think you involuntarily coined the almost perfect depiction of AmigaOS 4!

"A pig with lipstick, on steroids".

(A perfectdepiction being "A pig with lipstick, on steroids. With a wig. And a shark fin")

MRJM

Trekiej 
Posted on 1-Aug-2020 5:27:42
#14 ]
Cult Member

@cc3d

Sorry, I was not able to answer your question.
I also do not know why some have had good experience with them and some do not.

I hope you get a good resolution.

John 3:16

Juzz 
Posted on 4-Nov-2020 2:42:42
#15 ]

@cc3d

Long post, sorry.

Well, I have had quite a few orders that went well - but they were orders that had no special requirements.

But every time I have had some special comment or request on my order - they never answered me before shipping.

They've only ever responded when the outcome for them were negative.
I had an order where they didn't have one of the items in stock, but they sent it out - and I never really realized that one of the items were in back order.
So the order got shipped - I didn't notice that one item were in back order.

Later on I noticed that item were in back order and I contacted them - finally they responded, this response was: "My boss is not here, but he's back soon then I'll bring it up to him".

I never heard from them and had a few orders in the meantime.

Then I wrote them again - and the response I got was: "We're looking into it"

Never heard about it - had a few orders go out again - and one of them had some cables in them, and when I received the package I had one of my more technically inclined friends at my place, so I showed him a few cables - his response: "Could you care any less about the cables?"
I am not technically inclined (I do have many abilities - I can do a whole lot mediocre, but many things I can do above board - just not cables), I could have done better at the cables if I were 14 years old.

I did keep buying at them - but kept out of cables.

Then I had an order where I had questions - ignored!
I sent multiple questions - ignored!
Then I received my order - everything was there, so I thought no biggie.

Then I made a couple of orders - in the items were a few things that were important to my social life as I had some Amiga gatherings with some friends - I begged severeal times that they sent out the magazines separately, so that I could be the hero of the gatherings....
NO RESPONSE!
I then begged them again for the next gathering between my friends and I - NO RESPONSE.

I finally received my items - and they BENT the magazines to make them fit the package that they selected for the order!

They're not getting my money again.

They've reached out AFTER I've been outspoken about my experience - only then did they want to do some damage control - they didn't want anything to do with me otherwise.

They have made claims about their credit card company - but any contact about my orders did not go through their credit card company.

Sorry, but they can't rest on their laurels - I can only recommend that you take your order elsewhere.
For most items there are other shops and for cables there are excellent people on amibay that can accommodate you.

Best regards
Juzz

spudmiga 
Posted on 4-Nov-2020 20:53:12
#16 ]
Cult Member

@cc3d

I have always found their service to be pretty good but yes perhaps hiring someone to manage the emails / phones would help their image and in turn generate more sales... the impression I get it is the same guys who are doing all the work. They need to recruit someone purely to do the admin/comms side of things.... IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

Spud.

Night Operations

A1200 020/28MHz + 64Mb / 4Gb CF / OS 3.1.4.1 / 1438S
A500+ / 2Mb
A600

BigD 
Posted on 4-Nov-2020 21:47:08
#17 ]
Elite Member

@spudmiga

Quote:
They need to recruit someone purely to do the admin/comms side of things

It is run like an international cottage industry for a reason! The market is tiny but one lean forward thinking company can eke out a profitable existence if it keeps its costs down. The risk of hardware launches is the biggest risk in this market and bringing the A1222 Plus to market is the biggest risk AmigaKit has faced. I don't think that prior to its launch in a global pandemic is the best time to hire more staff!

They never managed to resell vampire boards or low risk third party products like the Warp 4060 or ZZ9000 cards. That would help mitigate risk.

It would also help if they could clarify whether you can run the clock port variant of the Rapid Road USB card off the Prisma Megamix's clock port as I'd be much more likely to buy the hardware then. Over two years and still waiting for clarification or for them to make them compatible.

AmigaKit are great as long as the product is in stock and you don't need to ask too many questions

AndyFC 
Posted on 6-Nov-2020 17:25:58
#18 ]

It doesn't matter about the size of the company or the size of the market, for a company based in the UK there are certain laws that apply.

For example, they will cover the amount of time in which a product is shipped (30 days after order unless an alternative is agreed), the amount of time a customer has the right to cancel the order (even if it's been shipped), the amount of time to process refunds, and what the refund covers (for example. a product which is faulty and returned, the refund covers the cost of the product, shipping and return shipping so the customer doesn't lose out).

There's a balance between supporting small businesses and making full use of what customers are entitled to in law. I start quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015 only when a company starts taking the mick.

Last edited by AndyFC on 06-Nov-2020 at 05:27 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle