Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  32 mins ago
 Hammer:  40 mins ago
 pixie:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  55 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Nostalgia
Register To Post

PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
Nostalgia
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 10:51:59
#1 ]
Elite Member

I often find myself having a strong Amiga nostalgia.
I'm the only one who wants to get his Amiga back in business, maybe with a solid
company behind that offers a really interesting hardware and software package?
I would like to have a Commodore, Amiga, or Commodore-Amiga company back in business with all the parties joined together, with interesting projects to show.
I just saw the Bill Herd - Dave Haine youtube video, it would be nice to have these talents again
working together.
It would be nice to see all the lawsuits come to an end and everyone working together...
It would be nice to see Amiga advertised again here and there, now online, new Amiga, new products ...

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 01-Nov-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: Nostalgia
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 11:50:10
#2 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
how many thread i opened about this argument? Can't remember..

So this is your latest sequel to "time to join the forces" VII? heh.

Everblue 
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 12:25:48
#3 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Let's face it, it is never going to happen.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 13:40:33
#4 ]
Elite Member

@number6

"So this is your latest sequel to "time to join the forces" VII? heh."

Lol

You know, i'm really getting tired of this.

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 20:44:07
#5 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

do not forget world peace

that is as propable as "joining forces"

matthey 
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 21:02:39
#6 ]

@AmigaBlitter
What is dead may never die. Hope springs eternal.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 1-Nov-2020 22:20:57
#7 ]
Elite Member

Amiga and Amiga like solutions are great retro hobby systems and can thrive in that type of environment. They don’t have to beat Windows & Mac to survive.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 01-Nov-2020 at 10:21 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 2-Nov-2020 5:30:12
#8 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:

I just saw the Bill Herd - Dave Haine youtube video, it would be nice to have these talents again
working together.

It would be nice to see all the lawsuits come to an end and everyone working together...

I often find myself having a strong 1980s nostalgia.

I just saw a Ronald Reagan and a Mikhail Gorbachev videos, it would be nice to have these talents again
working one against the other...

It would be nice to see all the "woke" and politically correct shit come to an end and everyone trashing each other...

bison 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 3:56:32
#9 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Music too. I've been listening to Leonid & Friends on Youtube and wondering, Why can't we have new music like this? We seem to be regressing back in time.

agami 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 5:21:19
#10 ]

@AmigaBlitter

I know what you mean, and you are not the only one.
For me, it's not so much a nostalgia for the heady days of personal computing of the '80s and early '90s, it's a nostalgia for an ecosystem of possibilities.

The landscape of computing today has become so uninspiring. Windows 10, macOS, a ship load of Linux distros, none of them are exciting anyone. And don't get me started on hardware. Apart from a few blips here and there with RISC V, and the rise of FPGA, it's become so generic and evolutional.

I too long for someone to come out of left field and challenge the current status quo. With hardware, software, or both. Not to take over from Microsoft and Apple, but to shake things up. Get a new generation of people inspired to solve the big problems and change the world. To write a new chapter in human history.

Amiga had a good run at challenging the status quo. Who will challenge the current establishment? Hate to burst your bubble, but it definitely will not be what's left of the Amiga.
I look forward to a revolution in computing almost as much as I'd like to see a human walk on Mars.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 10:01:31
#11 ]
Elite Member

@agami

+100

Quote:
The landscape of computing today has become so uninspiring. Windows 10, macOS, a ship load of Linux distros, none of them are exciting anyone. And don't get me started on hardware. Apart from a few blips here and there with RISC V, and the rise of FPGA, it's become so generic and evolutional.

Quote:
too long for someone to come out of left field and challenge the current status quo. With hardware, software, or both. Not to take over from Microsoft and Apple, but to shake things up.

Turrican3 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 10:57:51
#12 ]

@agami

Quote:
I know what you mean, and you are not the only one. For me, it's not so much a nostalgia for the heady days of personal computing of the '80s and early '90s, it's a nostalgia for an ecosystem of possibilities. The landscape of computing today has become so uninspiring. Windows 10, macOS, a ship load of Linux distros, none of them are exciting anyone. And don't get me started on hardware. Apart from a few blips here and there with RISC V, and the rise of FPGA, it's become so generic and evolutional. I too long for someone to come out of left field and challenge the current status quo. With hardware, software, or both. Not to take over from Microsoft and Apple, but to shake things up. Get a new generation of people inspired to solve the big problems and change the world. To write a new chapter in human history. Amiga had a good run at challenging the status quo. Who will challenge the current establishment? Hate to burst your bubble, but it definitely will not be what's left of the Amiga. I look forward to a revolution in computing almost as much as I'd like to see a human walk on Mars.

This, basically.

amigang 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 16:38:12
#13 ]
Elite Member

I wish Amiga came back into the market, people say it wont happen its too late, I always think are thinking way too big! Main stream where unlikely to ever get back to that, (u could argue Amiga was never main stream anyway) but to capture a little market say as big as Raspberry pi is, I say that is possible or at the very least double the size of the current Amiga community, with the right plan/leadership and market targeted I see it would be possible.

Last edited by amigang on 03-Nov-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 3-Nov-2020 20:00:20
#14 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Quote:
capture a little market say as big as Raspberry pi

That's really realistic goal considering that Pi had sold only 4-5 times more than Amiga last december... And last 6 months of that sales were ~5 million... Before Pi 4 launch.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 13-Nov-2020 12:43:58
#15 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I agree!

amigadave 
Posted on 14-Nov-2020 0:27:32
#16 ]

@amigang

Quote:

amigang wrote:
I wish Amiga came back into the market, people say it wont happen its too late, I always think are thinking way too big! Main stream where unlikely to ever get back to that, (u could argue Amiga was never main stream anyway) but to capture a little market say as big as Raspberry pi is, I say that is possible or at the very least double the size of the current Amiga community, with the right plan/leadership and market targeted I see it would be possible.

I doubt that the current Amiga market, even when doubled, would be close to 1/10th of the current Raspberry Pi market (Amiga doubled probably = 4,000 to 5,000, compared to well over 30 million Raspberry Pi's sold). But, like you, I do wish the size of the Amiga user base would grow in the future. Unfortunately, most of the money and much of the development efforts today are focused in directions that IMO, are not bringing new users to the Amiga, and are doing a very poor job at bringing former Amiga users back to become active users again. Perhaps the Vampire boards are bringing a few hundred former users back, but to really spur more development in both hardware and software, we need several thousand new users brought into our tiny market, to make development profitable.

Last edited by amigadave on 14-Nov-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Last edited by amigadave on 14-Nov-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Last edited by amigadave on 14-Nov-2020 at 12:30 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 14-Nov-2020 0:39:47
#17 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigang wrote:
Perhaps the Vampire boards are bringing a few hundred former users back, but to really spur more development in both hardware and software, we need several thousand new users brought into our tiny market, to make development profitable.

We'll get Octamed and updates to Personal Paint, Image FX and Hollywood. In addition, MetroSiege will be a great game! We are blessed. Encourage the next generation to draw, code and play with the Amiga and who knows where it will go. If ex-Amigans don't remember what made it special then forget them and focus on our children instead! My friend has an A1200 and I've encouraged him to get a Vampire or to let me help him upgrade/recap it or to help him to sell his stuff but it's a lost cause IMHO. Those casual ex-A500/A1200 gamers have families now and they just want to buy their kids iPads to shut them up rather than educate them in fun and creative computer stuff Our kids are this community's future!

Last edited by BigD on 14-Nov-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 14-Nov-2020 at 12:43 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 14-Nov-2020 6:23:55
#18 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
I'm the only one who wants to get his Amiga back in business, maybe with a solid
company behind that offers a really interesting hardware and software package?
I would like to have a Commodore, Amiga, or Commodore-Amiga company back in business with all the parties joined together, with interesting projects to show.
working together.
It would be nice to see Amiga advertised again here and there, now online, new Amiga, new products ...

Again? The Amiga market is DEAD! You just have to accept it and rest in peace.

If you have nostalgia of the good, old, times, then power-on your Amiga or run WinUAE, and be happy: this is the only sane way of enjoying what you like.

Amiga is just another retro-platform (from very long time), and that's how you should use it.

BigD 
Posted on 14-Nov-2020 11:58:01
#19 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Amiga is just another retro-platform (from very long time), and that's how you should use it.

Yes, it's dead as far as the mainstream is concerned but it also has some limited development and productivity software updates. Nice!

cdimauro 
Posted on 15-Nov-2020 4:59:39
#20 ]
Elite Member

@BigD well, the same happens to other retroplatforms, and even more/better sometimes: take a look at the C64, for example, where superb quality games are still released (even in cartridge format).

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle