Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 146 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  34 mins ago
 DWolfman:  43 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 37 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  NEW OS4 UPDAATE !! BANANA !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
kas1e 
NEW OS4 UPDAATE !! BANANA !!!
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 14:01:22
#1 ]
Elite Member

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/

https://youtu.be/Fa4tpDZFwoc

Update 2 for AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition available for download
AmigaOS 4.1 Final EditionBrussels, December 23rd, 2020

Hyperion Entertainment is proud to announce the immediate release of update 2 for AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition. Update 2 is by far the largest update ever released for AmigaOS and includes more than 200 updated components with hundreds of bug fixes, improvements and new features and six completely new OS components. The update is the combined effort of four years of AmigaOS development and will bring AmigaOS4.1 Final Edition to a completely new level of stability and usability.

The complete list of updated, improved and new components can be found in the changelog that also contains a list of the major bugs and issues that has been resolved. Some of the highlights of update 2 are.

New kernel (exec) version 54.28 with many bug-fixes and stability improvements
Improvements and bug-fixes in the graphics.library, workbench.library, dos.library, application.library, elf.library and many other essential libraries making them more robust, bug-free and future proof
Bug-fixes and improvements to the USB-stack
Many bug-fixes and improvements to console.device, ram-handler, appdir-handler and env-handler
Many bug-fixes in all reaction classes, datatypes and device drivers
New OS-components such as the append dos command, an OS4.1 version of DiskDoctor from Olaf Barthel, SataControl, appdir-handler, ssh2-handler
Many, many more bug-fixes, improvements and new features
Update 2 is free to registered users of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition and can be found in the download area at https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/.

This update is the result of the continuing effort of a dedicated group of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition developers and beta-testers. Thank you!

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition update 2 prerequisites

We strongly recommend that you install update 2 on top of a fresh install of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition update 1. If you decide to update your existing installation you should back it up beforehand!

Operating System: Installed AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1 Hardware

Compatibility: AmigaOne XE & SE, MicroA1, AmigaOne 500, AmigaOne X1000, AmigaOne X5000, Sam440, Sam460, Pegasos 2, Amiga Classic PPC.

Last edited by kas1e on 23-Dec-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Re: NEW OS4 UPDAATE !! BANANA !!!
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 14:11:23
#2 ]

@thread

There's a lot of fixes in there, folks, and my X5000 has never been this stable. A big thanks to the developers, beta testers, and especially Walkero, who pushed this update forward and handled all of the packaging work.

Now we just need to get that A1222 out of the door, and....

-- eliyahu

Rob 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 14:23:57
#3 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Your video was in my Youtube feed so I've just watched and then checked here to see if the news was posted yet.

Thanks to all those involved in making this update happen.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 14:36:22
#4 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Cool, I hope they fixed Amiga Input, it has bugged me a lot.

I expected there to be something wrong with console, but never reported it because most of the time can have easily blamed myself for the instabilities. Cool to see they fixed something there.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Dec-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Dec-2020 at 02:36 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 14:48:09
#5 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

They fixed some bits in Amiga Input (nothing radical, but still), but in console there were major bunch of fxes and improvements.

Check the changelog.guide coming with the update in the root folder , it 120kb of pure text data about fixes, updates and stuff in almost all (but not all) updated/fixed/new components. And for every component there is even not all changed noted. For example for DOS and for Kernel there were MUCH MORE changes which is added in changelog.

The work done by Colin Wenzel on DOS heart and all related components (ram-hadnler, appdir-handler, env-handler, bunch of dos commands) are really crazy in todays amiga time. Its just totaly absolutly unreal something is done of that sort (he works on it how much .. 5-6 more years, dunno).

The work done by Thomas Frieden on kernel is also somethng from other reality, as surprse he still here and works for amiga projects and that much time spend on (that probably still his main payment work, which in 2021 also surprise).

The work done by TonyW on Console for last years also remarkable.

The works done by Rigo (Simon Archer), Salas00 (Frederik), Andy Broad on the those shit-scary fixes in the classes, gadgets, other stuff are also should be noted.

And there is many other developers spend their tme on all components there and there.

That update2 is in whole amigaos4 history a first massive update of such size and quality. Its just for real can be called AmigaOS4.2 , or at least AmigaOS4.5 :) just wthout new icons :)

amigang 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:04:20
#6 ]
Elite Member

Wait what!! Wasn’t expecting this at all, plus the size of the update and fix’s.
Will test this out over the holidays thanks Hyperion and developers!

What the best way to make a back up of current setup? Just directory opus copy?
(Kind of not done it as I made a new partition last time for os4.1fe and kept 4.1.7 setup pretty much the state it was when amikit shipped it (plus maybe a year of updates and custom adding) and kind of use that as my backup, been so long since a big core update.

Big thanks if anything I only ask next time could the developers not release smaller update at say the end of each year so we know you guys are still working on os4. cheers

Last edited by amigang on 23-Dec-2020 at 03:05 PM.

bison 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:09:26
#7 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

The world of Amiga is a strange place. Either things are announced five years in advance and not delivered, or else they spring out of nowhere overnight. There seems to be no middle ground. The second case is preferable, or course, since something actually gets delivered.

VooDoo 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:10:31
#8 ]

Great :)

A really good reason to turn on my uA1c :D Thanks guys!

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich :)

Croatian Amiga portal

kas1e 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:11:07
#9 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

By checking changelog.guide you can see how they working :) There werent much bananas because it was unclear wtf happens even inside, but lately things changes, and hope for some few good years futher.

But in any case, does not matte what will happens after, update2 is here, delivering a lot, and that is enough for next 2-3 years of playing with.

@bison

Yeah. That amiga, unlogical, strange, crazy, but still somehow uniq, small, fast, full controlled OS and co. Saying truth, 5 years ago i for real think that "this all retro". Now, seeing how windows10 on latest hardware with all this memory protection and stuff, give me bloat in face, download things without me knowing, task manager filling full of shit doing things, i not sure that i want OS with memory protecton and all "modern" stuff. For real, i better just reboot for 10-15 seconds, and continu after a crash, than will fight with this new crap.

But surely new blood will not understand it, as they born in times when all this "oldschool" way of doing things with computers are the same as for us some stuff from 30th :)

Last edited by kas1e on 23-Dec-2020 at 03:14 PM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:12:03
#10 ]
Cult Member

Blow me down with a feather just when you thought things in 2020 could not get any more bizarre.

Thanks for the continued support!

samo79 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:33:06
#11 ]
Elite Member

Finally !!!

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:44:14
#12 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

das final final update?

What a surprise

AP 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:50:14
#13 ]
Cult Member

Good news, and good work!

I will update my AmigaOS4-Classic-Installation (Emulation) on my MacBookPro (till my Tabor arrives sometime in 2021).

BSzili 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 15:50:51
#14 ]

@kas1e

This is certainly unexpected to say the least. I thought there won't be another update until Tabor is released in 2291, so it's a pleasant surprise. I hope someone will post the contents of changelog.guide somewhere, unless there's some confidential information here.

Dragster 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 16:22:38
#15 ]

What the heck? Hyperion just released Update 2 for OS4.1 FE?! 2020 such a surprising year but thanks Hyperion for this totally unexpected update. A good reason to fire up my Pegasos II and my A4KD...

Cheers,
Dragster.

Powerbook G4 1139/MOS 3.9/OSX 10.5.8. Pegasos II 2B5 Mobo. 2 GB RAM. 400 GB x 2 GB ATA HD, USB 2.0 PCI. SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS Gold. Quad boot: AmigaOS 4.1 FInal Edition, MorphOS 3.9 regged, Debian Lenny PPC, OpenSUSE 11.1. Rockin'

kas1e 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 16:28:36
#16 ]
Elite Member

@BSZili
Not sure how much it of issue to publish change.log (that in end content of update), but will ask if no problems will post it here.

@Dragster
The platforms i tested update2 while betated were X5000 and my old trusty Pegasos2 (btw, lately i update my peg2 by sataide controllers, so use SSD on. It still noticable slower than x5000, but good enough for some tinkering with)

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 16:33:50
#17 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
New kernel (exec) version 54.28 with many bug-fixes and stability improvements
Quote:
The work done by Thomas Frieden on kernel is also somethng from other reality, as surprse he still here and works for amiga projects

What kernel is that? Is it trevor dickinson’s that ssolie works on or is it a new Hyperion in-house kernel?

kas1e 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 16:41:50
#18 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS
Is it Trevor Dickinson’s that ssolie works on, they come to some agreement or something, but i am sure i don't want to discuss all that crap, as thread will tunr out to that shit, and i know you love those dirty cheap talks about who own what and so on, so no, not with me :)

Trixie 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 17:46:06
#19 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@TRIPOS

Quote:
Is it trevor dickinson’s that ssolie works on or is it a new Hyperion in-house kernel?

There is only one OS4 kernel, and it is Trevor Dickinson's.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

nbache 
Posted on 23-Dec-2020 19:24:04
#20 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
das final final update?
I think the extra "Final" must have crept in there to signify that this is the final version of the Update 2 (as opposed to the multitude of alpha and beta packages we have been testing for tha past month or so). It should probably have been renamed before publishing. Then again, it's just a name.

Do not expect this to be the final OS 4 update. Unless of course you enjoyed the surprise so much that you want to be surprised again ...

Best regards,

Niels

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle