Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New X5000 system
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: New X5000 system
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 13:50:43
#1 ]
Elite Member

@geen_naam

Quote:
The usual topics are still unresolved/challenged
- Ownership of Amiga brand and Amigaos.

If you mean "the objection" (challenged}, no that changed.

Hyperion withdraws opposition against registration of US trademark 'Amiga'

If you read this you'll understand how this in turns affects the Hyperion filings in the U.S.

Since this filing a number of documents have been exchanged and the decision is currently in the hands of the assigned examiner. stay tuned.

Profile     Report this post  
bennymee 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 14:31:40
#2 ]
Cult Member

@geen_naam

With dual boot MorphOS and Linux is also running on the X5000.

The market is maybe splitted but we had recent updates of AmigaOS4, MorphOS, AmigaOS 3.1.x and problably Aros but don't see it.

Last edited by bennymee on 29-Dec-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 14:36:32
#3 ]

@geen_naam

Some of the current limitations of AmigaOS4.1 can be avoided by using also Linux and MorphOS:

SMP/64bit: In Linux both cores of X5000 are automatically used, and also some 64-bit distros
are working.

Browser: For MOS there is the brand new 'Wayfarer', and for PPC Linuxes (Fienix, Mint) several browsers which work in most respects much better than Odyssey

Office: For Linux there is Libre Office

One pittfall more: There is no up-to-date Mail program (development of Yam and Simplemail has ceased). But again, there are alternatives for Linux and MOS.

But if you do not want to use other OSs than AmigaOS, you can get some help by using AmiCygnix (a X-windows environment for OS4.1) and the programs available for it, e.g. Sylpheed/Claws-mail, AbiWord and Gnumeric). In X5000 AmiCygnix works quite well, if you have chosen the correct display settings.

See more here: https://schwan-clan.de/index.php?lang=en&fr0=AmigaFrameNav.php%3Flang%3Den%26sub%3D0&fr1=amiga%2FAmiCygnix.php%3Flang%3Den

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 15:35:46
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Gregor

Update 2 should solve some of issue with tread safety, that was main problem with the web-browser. It might need some changes here and there, but should be easy now.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Dec-2020 at 03:36 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 16:15:02
#5 ]
Elite Member

@geen_naam

Quote:
- No clear list of supported DDR3 dimms.

Should be in the hardware specification.

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=X5000

It says you should use 1600Mhz DDR3 dimms,

Quote:
My main concern is now to get a reliable an well supported X5000 system.

I think the best thing is to buy it new, so don’t get one has electrostatic damage, or some other issue you need to debug.

Quote:
Is Hans de Ruiter still active?

Hans de Ruiter is active.

He mostly post on amigans, but he also some time upload some youtube videos, he some video blogging about his projects, as I understand they are also intended as being advice for developers.

Besides graphic drivers he is working on a FTP server.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Dec-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Dec-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Dec-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 16:39:01
#6 ]

@geen_naam

Quote:

By "any other pitfalls" I was referring to other hardware components like an SSD, network and audio.

Ok... OS4.1 does not have Trim support, so it is safest to choose a SSD model which has been designed to work reliably without it. At least OWC Mercury Electra is such one (e.g. Amiga On the Lake has chosen to sell those for NG Amigas).

Gregor 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 17:34:21
#7 ]

@geen_naam

Quote:

geen_naam wrote:
@Gregor

Ah, that is a huge pitfall. I would have probably bought a samsung SSD. Would the OWC Mercury Electra 6G (3D nand) 250GB work? Don't know what the 6G suffix is supposed to mean. But at least it is available from stores.

It should... I bought a few weeks ago exactly the same model but has not yet been able to test it as I'm away from my X5000. I use currently a 120 GB 3G Mercury Electra for OS 4.1.

The 6G means that the drive is capable of 'Sata 3' speed (and 3G 'Sata 2', respectively), as most SSDs nowadays do. But the onboard Sata controller of X5000 is only Sata 2, so it cannot take full advantage of a 6G disk - it works at the same speed as a 3G drive.

With Linux you can add a separate Sata 3 controller board and use the full 6G speed (AFAIK, for OS4.1 there are no drivers for any Sata 3 board).

Gregor 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 17:55:21
#8 ]

@geen_naam

Quote:

geen_naam wrote:
@Gregor

Can you be more specific about what will happen when you use other SSD drives with AOS4.1? I see lot's of people using all kinds of SSDs with the X1000, SAM and X5000. But I get no hit when i search for OWC Mercury Electra on this site.

If the 'cleaning system ' of the disk does not work properly, the SSD slows down when the disk gets full, and in worst case it is not anymore possible to write on the disk. Only way out then is to copy the contents to another disk and reformat it.... But also some other SSD brands than OWC may have working 'autocleaning' systems. Leaving a good amount of the disk's storage capacitity unused may help to avoid problems, too.

Before I bought my first SSD for NG-Amiga, I sent a request to the technical supports of several major manufacturers (cannot anymore remember exactly the list), and most of them recommended NOT to use their disks without Trim!

outrun1978 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 19:54:42
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Geen_naam

If you are getting an X5000, for the time being I would get a Radeon 7970 or equivalent rebadged Southern Islands chipset Radeon RX 280/290 second hand as your main graphics card as thats probably your best option for the time being if you wish to experience the whole Amiga OS4.1 experience fully.

You will notice I have a Polaris card in my email signature as I have one in addition to the 7970. The Polaris 12 RX550 card is pretty decent and definitely one you should invest in for the future as mine was easily picked up new for about £40, however you will miss out on any games which require legacy Warp3D and the video playback for the time being isnt as polished as the older cards whilst we await updated drivers.

An SSD is a must, I use a Sandisk 512GB model and touch wood its been reliable and flawless in use.

Other things you may wish to get an Envy 24-HT sound card and a SATA Sil3512 card.
There are only two on board SATA ports on the machine.

As a hobby machine Amiga OS4 will suit if you want to explore OS4 games there are over 200 available in addition to the classic collection of Amiga games, the Run in UAE integration from Workbench feels authentic to the experience you get on an A1200 running WHD Load games.

Emulation of other systems isn't bad either, Final Burn Alpha, Playstation 1, Atari ST, Sam Coupe, Atari 800, Megadrive, SNES. Granted its stuff you will find on a Raspberry Pi/Retropie at a fraction of the cost, but a Raspberry Pi wont run Amiga OS 4 like the X500 will.

Joypads such as a 8Bitdo SFC-30, Logitech F-310 or the Competition Pro all work fine.

Print support is quite decent providing you have a postscript compatible printer.

Web browsing is ok, spoofing as Nintendo Wii or Ipad in the latest Odyssey works. Granted not all websites will render properly and until there is an updated browser, it is what it is.

You can run MorphOS as suggested by others, but trust me things will start to get messy, just by a 2nd hand Mac mini, its easier all round rather than risk poking any rattlesnakes. Short story is that to get the most out of MorphOS you will need to run an ancient Radeon 1950 card on it. With that you will lose any 3D support on Amiga OS and Linux is stuck with an old version of Open GL. Even then don't expect to run everything on MorphOS, even their new browser, which is why I suggest buying a 2nd hand Mac.

You can load Linux too, but again things get messy becuase there is no hardware acceleration when using the suggested graphics card for Amiga OS4 (Radeon 7970/Radeon RX 280/290) As far as this machine is concerned, graphic card support is more advanced on Amiga OS4 on the X5000 than it is on MorphOS or Linux.

nbache 
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 23:36:39
#10 ]

@geen_naam

Quote:
This time around I will buy the "best" while still available. Just because I can now
If this is the case, I think it should be mentioned that a higher-specced X5000 model has also been announced, although no release schedule is fixed.

It's called the X5000/040 and has a four-core CPU slightly higher clocked than the two-core on the current model, the X5000/020.

At the moment, the 040 is still only in the hands of a relatively small number of beta testers etc. (I'm lucky enough to be one of them ).

Sorry if I haven't made it easier for you to decide . Guess it comes down to how badly you need your fix ...

Best regards,

Niels

BigD 
Posted on 30-Dec-2020 0:17:13
#11 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

That’s a bit disingenuous plugging a mythical beta-tester machine that had no public roadmap for release! I would wager that the X5000/040 won’t launch unless the X5000 currently in stock is close to selling out, SMT enabled AmigaOS update is ready and the A1222Plus has already launched. That could be at least a year’s wait! If the guy wants a AmigaOS machine currently available why talk him out of it?

Last edited by BigD on 30-Dec-2020 at 12:18 AM.

nbache 
Posted on 30-Dec-2020 23:51:46
#12 ]

@BigD

I know, but on the other hand if he's really determined to get the very fastest one, he'd risk feeling cheated if he didn't know about it and bought the 020, then a year (or whatever) later he sees it being second best.

I think I did tell honestly about the situation of no release date etc. and even wrote that it was a choice dependant on how fast he wanted a machine vs. how badly he wanted it to be the ultimate one.

Again, not trying to mislead. The sanest choice for most would likely be to get the 020 now. It's also a great machine - as I understand from end users and fellow testers (not having owned it myself).

(But I got the faster one - muhahaha ... err, sorry ...).

Best regards,

Niels

Rob 
Posted on 31-Dec-2020 23:08:05
#13 ]
Elite Member

I was just having a browse through the Cyrus+ technical manual and googled some of the parts on the board. In doing so I noticed that Renesas issued an end of life notice for the 89H12NT12G2 PCIe to PCIe switch at the beginning of December and last date to order is the 6th of April 2021. I hope A-EON are on top of this in regard to future production runs.

OldFart 
Posted on 1-Jan-2021 9:55:19
#14 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@geen_naam

Welcome back to the scene! And enjoy a healthy and prosperous 2021!

Quote:
This is the list that i intend to buy: - X5000 motherboard obviously ( includes AmigaOS4.1FE and Enhancer plus) - 2x HX316C10FW/4 = 8GB DDR3/1600MHz - Radeon R7 graphics card.

That's a nice 'wish list' you've come up with.

If you intend to use it only for Amiga OS4.n-purposes then you can skip the 8GB memory as Amiga can only address 2GB.
Radeon R7 if you're into the upper region of the graphics scene then OK, otherwise take something like a 6450. Such a card provides you with VGA, HDMI and DVI-ports.
I've got such a card installed and hooked up to a Philips Brilliance 240B (1200 x 1920) monitor.
A Radeon R7 requires you to buy that driversuite as developed by Hans de Ruyter in order to make full use of its potential. Available from A-Eon's website.

I would go for an additional SiI (= Silicon Image) 3112, a SiI3114 or a SiI3512 expansion. They typically occupy on of the available PCI-slots and provide you with some additional SATA-ports. The x5000 falls a bit short on such ports.
Maybe another model/make will provide you with IDE-ports so that you can use the HD from your SAM440. Such cards won't typically break the bank, but are rather hard to find as they are New Old Stock products, which, when sold out, will never be available again.

And avoid being pennywise in the PSU-department: go for a (semi-)modular unit of some 450Watt at most. These too won't break the bank.

I wish you good luck on your endeavours!

OldFart

bennymee 
Posted on 2-Jan-2021 9:47:21
#15 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

With the new Emotion 1.9 update the Radeon RX cards are more attractive with GPU supported video decoding (depending on the release of Enhancer 2.0 offcourse).

kas1e 
Posted on 2-Jan-2021 10:15:27
#16 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

The only problem which is somehow big for some of us: Radeon RX has no support for classic Warp3D (while RadeonHD has it). So all minigl stuff we have (games/demos and co): fail.

There is some hack done by Daniel where he packed up gl4es inside the library which translates all the calls of minigl to gl4es, and this kind of works for 70% of software, but the other 30% didn't works. It is also pretty unstable: often crashes, you can't run more than 2 minigl apps at the same time, etc.

So if one does not need the support of old warp3d/minigl stuff, then sure, Radeon RX is a better choice today. But if one needs it, then RadeonHD still.

AP 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 14:49:39
#17 ]
Cult Member

@geen_naam: Congratulations and thanks for the info about VAT.

Petah 
Brexit and the Bitter English Generation
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 15:21:24
#18 ]

Anyone who thinks that EU citizens will benefit from the Brexit disaster is in for an ugly surprise. Although English and Walish stores can't enforce the UK sales tax any more, goods that are gray-imported into the Union are subject to taxation once they cross the outer border. Chances are that union states will tax any incoming goods by the local tax rate - and likely add an administrative surcharge on top of that.

The only people that Brexit favors are the bitter, old yellowed teethed generation that dreams of the so called haydays when Ye Old World was a major nation that "ruled" the seas. Well, until they realize that the world has moved on. It'll be a beautiful, long, bitter sweet symphony [cue audio].

AP 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 17:08:52
#19 ]
Cult Member

@geen_naam

Quote:

geen_naam wrote:
@AP

Maybe we should wait for the added customs delay before you thank me.

Ok, keep us informed

For me your information about VAT is good to know. From a customers point of view it's not so bad as I was afraid of. I am one of the pre-orders for Tabor/A1222Plus and my fear was, that with the waiting I have to pay much more because of Brexit.

On the other hand I consider to buy a X5000, too. Difficult, because my wive would possibly kill me...

Petah 
Re: Brexit and the Bitter English Generation
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 18:14:34
#20 ]

Please allow me to reiterate:

"The only people that Brexit favors are the bitter, old yellowed teethed generation that dreams of the so called haydays when Ye Old World was a major nation that "ruled" the seas."

Of course, this description should be of no concern to anyone but the 51.9% UK citizens who thought they were in favor of leave. Here's a photo that should illustrate the absurdity of this proud moment it in a fair way:

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle