Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  9 mins ago
 outlawal2:  29 mins ago
 AndreasM:  32 mins ago
 sibbi:  41 mins ago
 saimo:  55 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  56 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Mega65
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaMac 
Mega65
Posted on 2-Jan-2021 22:51:12
#1 ]

Any Amigans here going to buy the Mega65 when it becomes generally available?

https://mega65.org/

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Re: Mega65
Posted on 2-Jan-2021 23:37:03
#2 ]

@AmigaMac

Me. I've been following this project since the beginning, and am probably more excited about this than anything else 'retro' out there.

-- eliyahu

AmigaMac 
Posted on 3-Jan-2021 0:18:30
#3 ]

@eliyahu

I think I’ll buy one if and when they become generally available. I’m impressed by what I have seen so far.

klx300r 
Posted on 3-Jan-2021 1:08:52
#4 ]
Elite Member

so cool but I still have my original 64 and even when I had my 128 I only used 64 mode ....I suppose if I didn’t still have my 64 up and running so great I’d buy a Mega65 and be forced to find some space in my mancave eh

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

rzookol 
Posted on 3-Jan-2021 12:03:02
#5 ]

@klx300r

One of biggest problem with C=128 was VICII working in 1mhz mode only. If somebody makes VicII replacement (if doable) to work in 2Mhz mode, it would give much more attention to C=128 (or VDC working in semi-EGA mode).

Regarding Mega65, I don't like fpga computers where fpga makes all things inside. If fpga chips were in some chip replacement for to put into real C65, that's ok, even with a new extended mobo. My two C16 have fpgated cpus but computer with single fpga which does everything is just yet another hardware emulator.

Last edited by rzookol on 03-Jan-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Last edited by rzookol on 03-Jan-2021 at 12:03 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 5-Jan-2021 18:07:46
#6 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@AmigaMac

Quote:

AmigaMac wrote:

This, my dearest internet friends, is retro done right.

Consider, will you please, the X5000! Just for a moment, so to not be too damaged by the unholy imagery. This... thing.... this expensive thing that looks nothing like a classic amiga, sitting in a PC case, entirely incompatible with classic amiga, and all for the sake of attempting to be a NEXT GEN platform. NEXT GEN! With an unusable cpu core and a useless xmos chip. Oh, the mirth!

Now take a gander at the Mega65. Looks like a vintage machine. It's entirely compatible with the bearer of its heritage, the venerable Commodore 64. Has no pretense to be a modern machine: it merely improves on a retro design with easier data access, and higher performance.

Take a page from the aptly named MEGA sixty five, oh grinning friends, oh lawyers and oilmen and fixers, all you carrion-eaters! Give us, can you, a reimagined wedge case with a Vampire v4 in its comfortable belly, running a polished Workbench 3.1! Give it to us, and call it, say, AMEGA!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

MRJM

bison 
Posted on 5-Jan-2021 23:55:53
#7 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
this expensive thing that looks nothing like a classic amiga, sitting in a PC case

True that, but to be fair, the A4000 and 4000T (especially the 4000T) were in PC cases as well. At least the A4000 had a custom face plate. Subtle signs of Commodore's then impending demise.

RobertB 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 7:25:50
#8 ]

Me!

Happy New Year!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

AP 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 10:45:54
#9 ]
Cult Member

@bison: You are right.

And:The purpose of the AmigaOne X5000 wasn't to be a Retro-system or look like a classic system (which is bogus in general - like you said, there are classic Commodore systems, which look like ordinary PCs, too.)

So it makes not much sense to compare the X5000 to systems like the Mega65 or the ZX Spectrum Next after all. Other purpose, other target group.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 11:13:59
#10 ]

@AP

Friend AP,

in my message I am already highlighting that the X5000 is not intended to be a retro-system. Which is exactly my point:

it was intended as a modern system, and as a modern system it was a 3k usd machine with the horsepower of a 400 usd pc and 1/10th of the software stacks.

Someone wants to see it as a retro machine? If so, it looks nothing like one, plays nothing like one, and has very little in common with its heritage.

It doesn't make sense to compare the X5000 to systems like the Mega65, my warmest friend,
but what it DOES make sense is to compare intents and outcomes.

IIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRR

MRJM

Rose 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 11:40:44
#11 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
it was intended as a modern system, and as a modern system it was a 3k usd machine with the horsepower of a 400 usd pc

Don't diss 400 usd PC's. It competeted on horsepower with dumpster dived PC's (Core2 at time of launch) and lost.

AP 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 13:35:39
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Rose: Nevertheless AmigaOS4 and related hardware where not the topic. The Mega65 even isn't about Amiga. So what's the point to bring the X5000 on the table?

But I have to accept that for some people her nearly every topic is a welcomed opportunity for their endless AmigaOS4-rant.

If you feel better, go on but don't except much answers (at least from my side).

One last remark on the real topic: The Mega65 is indeed an interesting machine especially for C64-fans. But at the end of the day it's a FPGA-board in a cool case with some "Retro"-I/O-ports. Like rzookol I wished there where more "real" chips (at least the CPU or an opportunity to use reale SIDs) on the board.

And for my taste they are too far away from the real C65 now, with Amiga-like features etc. More is sometimes less (in my opinion). Part of the fun of a retro-platform are the limitations of the platform.

But nevertheless an interesting project. If the price is right I may buy one in the future.

Last edited by AP on 06-Jan-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Petah 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 14:17:17
#13 ]

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 11:54:10
#14 ]

@AP

Quote:

Nevertheless AmigaOS4 and related hardware where not the topic. The Mega65 even isn't about Amiga. So what's the point to bring the X5000 on the table?

Because, friend AP, since we are on an Amiga forum and someone posted something that is not strictly related to the Amiga, WE the creative, WE the forward thinkers, WE who side with light, well we take this as at least a chance to see if the Mega65 can perhaps inspire THEM, the evil ones, those who slither in the darkness nibbling at the rotten corpse of our beloved machine, and perhaps drag them to the light.

SIGNED: MEGA RJ MICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 15:17:06
# ]

@AmigaMac

Do you know if they're planning to make a version without the floppy drive? (ie. beyond the dev-kit)

I'm more of a Spectrum guy, but it looks interesting. I just worry that it looks a bit over-engineered and prices will spiral, Vampire-style. The Spectrum Next kept its specs (FPGA, etc) really tight and is still £300-325 for the 2nd run.

Last edited by clebin on 07-Jan-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Report this post  
AP 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 15:31:44
#16 ]
Cult Member

@clebin: As far I know it's planned to integrate the floppy drive in the customer-version, too. For me this is one of the things they done right, a proper C65-recreation without a floppy is half baked. It's also fine that they integrated ports for old floppy drives/printers etc. It would be even better if they stayed closer the the real C65 but you can't have everything.

I am interested (C64 guy before Amiga) but the price is my concern, too.

EUR 300,- would be ideal, EUR 500,- will be the max for me.

And as I am an uncreative and insane AmigaOS4-user on the evil side I have to save money for AOSA4-hardware, too

trgswer 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 15:49:42
#17 ]

@AP

I'm interested too, and with regard to price i think you can probably think about it like a ultimate 64 with a case meaning ~250€ board ~100€ case then the floppy will be a refurbished one so dirt cheap but the question is about the ram expansion is it done in fpga or separate board, but most likely it will be fpga.
Soo 350-400€ max. I personally think 350€ or lower.

AP 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 15:59:34
#18 ]
Cult Member

@trgswer

Quote:

trgswer wrote:
@AP
Soo 350-400€ max. I personally think 350€ or lower.

I hope so

Anonymous 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 16:03:27
# ]

@AP

If there were two versions released, I'd probably choose one without a floppy drive. I don't have a great deal of nostalgia for disks which were always slow and unreliable. The best thing I ever bought for my Amiga was a GVP hard drive. So, I'd prefer a compact form-factor even if it's not authentic.

But I've just read that the price could be as high as €750. If true, that feels like a lack of discipline when it's only running an 8-bit core. Let's hope it's wrong, but the equivalent FPGA development board is over £200. That's before custom case, keyboard with Cherry MX switches, floppy drive, box, manual, assembly, logistics...

Good luck to them and all - it's mammoth project to take on - but my interest wouldn't extend to that kind of money.

Last edited by clebin on 07-Jan-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 07-Jan-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Report this post  
TRIPOS 
Posted on 7-Jan-2021 17:33:13
#20 ]

@AmigaMac

Quote:

AmigaMac wrote:

1. What will it cost?

2. Is it legal (copyrights covered)?

3. Can you connect it to any moden TV through the HDMI and it will just work?

4. When is it due for release?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle