Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  10 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  27 mins ago
 agami:  27 mins ago
 RobertB:  47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [POLL] Which is the biggest Amiga hurdle?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Which is the biggest Amiga hurdle?
AMOS software - it generates code that violates basic system princples such as multitasking, networking and RTG
Diversification (leave a comment in the thread)
Hollywood software - it generates bloated binaries that in themselves violate the AmigaOS design philosophy
Sloppy ports from other operating systems - so called developers favor quantity over quality
The lack of hardware - even without the burden of AMOS/Hollywood, the platform can't do without new hardware
Something else (leave a comment in the thread)

PosterThread
Samurai_Crow 
Re: [POLL] Which is the biggest Amiga hurdle?
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 15:09:37
#21 ]
Elite Member

I've sent Andreas Falkenhahn links on how to make Hollywood faster. I'm willing to make or describe how to make an Amos to C transpiler for Freddix. Amos and Hollywood problems are temporary.

I voted diversity. MorphOS has a decent browser, AmigaOS4 has Warp3D Nova with shader support and Aros has multiple architectures. Too many plarforms with too few people working on each. That's the biggest hurdle.

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 15:14:09
#22 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
The biggest Amiga hurdle is not porting AmigaOS over to Arm processors so you can run it on a Raspberry Pi 400. It would be the perfect option.

You keep posting some variation of this, and I keep agreeing. The Pi 400 would be nearly perfect. It's certainly the best available option.

number6 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 15:28:49
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

I'd say communications is sorely lacking and applies to anything else mentioned...but that's just me.

jPV 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 19:37:15
#24 ]
Cult Member

This poll sounds very familiar.. wasn't there similar not that long ago? Pointless again.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 21:14:43
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Petah

Definitely the A3000T. The thing is a beast of a machine, and you'd certainly come a cropper if you didn't manage to jump high enough to clear it.

Great answer!

I can see a great idea for a post Covid-19 Amiga meet with alternating A3000Ts and A4000Ts to 'hurdle' over! I guess it would be difficult to get the insurance so I guess that's the major hurdle to Amiga hurdling!

Last edited by BigD on 04-Jan-2021 at 09:15 PM.

MrFrench 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 21:32:42
#26 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

As always stingingly to the point, MEGA_RJ! The tomb analogy was perfectly stated. I am not developer, just an former Amiga user from decades past with fond memories of a computer I loved to use, I will continue to visit the grave yard!
Cheers!

MrFrench

Halfwits!

BigD 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 21:48:12
#27 ]
Elite Member

@MrFrench

I'm glad you agree with the inane ramblings of the King of the Halfwits! If you look at the Amiga that way then we were all halfwitted fools to think that a small team from Los Gatos could take on the IBM PC especially as the Amiga was an over-engineered games console!

It strikes me that it is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes if you accept that a madman has seemingly described you as a 'forward thinker'!? I'm glad it gives you warm fuzzies knowing that you're superior! I guess the forward thinkers didn't view AGA chipsets or RTG cards as 'real' Amigas either.

The A1000/2000 & A500 were IT in the eyes of the 'forward thinkers'!
... Amiga fans the 'forward thinkers' weren't.

Last edited by BigD on 04-Jan-2021 at 09:53 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 4-Jan-2021 22:58:58
#28 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@MrFrench

Thanks friend MrFrench,
your approval and appreciation are a balm, A SOOTING BALM I say, for this old frail heart of mine.

@BigD

Silence, peon.

MEGA

Rob 
Posted on 5-Jan-2021 0:43:57
#29 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Your presence seems to be lacking in the Mega65 thread.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 5-Jan-2021 17:36:41
#30 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Your presence seems to be lacking in the Mega65 thread.

Friend Rob,
thank you for your cooperation,

I am directing my cybernetic presence to that particular thread right away!
QUICK, TO THE VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORMOBILE!

MEGA

Deniil715 
Posted on 5-Jan-2021 18:26:20
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
Even with a modernized browser the fun is limited due to lack of raw cpu power (Wayfarer on MorphOS).

Which takes us back to bloatware. Without bloatware, todays technology would be instant in pretty much everything due to the extreme computing power.

Think about it, when Amiga was something, raytracing a high-res image took an hour. Now it can be done in realtime 4k video games! But user interfaces, and simple things like opening an email client, or a simple file requester, takes about the same time as then. Extreme bloat. Extreme waste of time and power. Power that could be saved by closing polluting powerplants.

kolla 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 2:35:23
#32 ]
Elite Member

@mobileconnect2

Quote:

1) Toxic people in the forums like kolla

Boo!

Quote:

2) Legal nastiness
3) Half baked software releases

Looks very much like you are among the toxic people like me - those are the exact two things I am “toxic” about.

tygre 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 3:44:03
#33 ]

Quote:

Lack of a modern webbrowser. EVERYTHING happens on the web these days. Not having an updated browser makes it impossible to use Amiga as the main machine.

+1

amigang 
Posted on 6-Jan-2021 7:45:37
#34 ]
Elite Member

Like some in here I have to agree that this is a very odd poll for the question?

Of course it be great to see Amos and Hollywood improve but they are not holding back the Amiga, if anything they helped amiga in a lot of way.

For me it be the Amiga ip mess, that we gone though ever since commodore went bankrupt it cause divisions, time wasted, and opportunity to pass our community by.

I do think if one company owned all the ip and had enough money and real plan I do feel the market would improve, I don’t know if Cloanto is the right owners, let face it they effectively had the brand for the last year and done nothing more than a few Amiga forever updates, and fight Hyperion.

I get it maybe they want full owners rights and the legal fights to be over before maybe starting there plan, but time is ticking, at least Hyperion gave us OS updates
its other efforts and other company that are keeping the Amiga market keep going.

I don’t see Cloanto pushing the Amiga forward, at the very least they could make a proper Amiga.com web site and promote community efforts and Amiga books, films etc, but nothing.

scuzz 
Posted on 10-Jan-2021 0:43:57
#35 ]

@Petah

Is it possible for someone, anyone to define clearly a full specification of machine that can be classed as a suitable Amiga for the purpose of this poll. Also what numbers are we talking about in terms of users. Assuming the computer is being used as the primary machine.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 10-Jan-2021 20:55:24
#36 ]
Cult Member

@scuzz

Quote:
... a full specification of machine that can be classed as a suitable Amiga ...

It should at least have the official Name "Amiga" and nothing else.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 6:54:16
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

Quote:

Petah wrote:
As a lot of users frequenting the various Amiga likely know, the operating system and its community have their shortcomings despite its proven longevity. In this special AmigaWorld.net Quick Poll, you are kindly asked to raise your voice and let the world know what the Amiga's biggest current hurdle is.

Well that depends on what you actually mean by Amiga? The original or modern reimplementations?

Original? Time. There is a stop gap of 25 years since it was produced. And it was getting obsolete before it was stopped. Can't get over that hurdle.

Modern? A combination of hardware and software. In the OS4 case it lacks decent stable hardware for the price. And the OS needs lots of more work to support modern applications that expect 64-bit memory models, isolated processes and proper threading. A main critique is that people expect an OS to include a browser but OS4 does not supply one as standard.

To address some points in the poll:
AMOS software - it uses AMOS as the underlying layer so won't be suited for normal OS applications. Nor are most Amiga games. I don't see a big problem here.

Diversification - It's been 25 years. This is going to happen. Without any official leadership or a broken one I'd expect fanboys putting out their own ideas of what should have become of Amiga and we did while it sat in purgatory.

Hollywood software - it's multiple platform that supports a host of Amiga flavours, CPUs and RTG. It's not a Scala script running on an ECS A500. The modern support will bloat it up. For the same reason that even a modern strategy game with low requirements written for true colour and 16 bit audio will perform poorly when compiled for an A1200.

Sloppy ports from other operating systems - there isn't much choice if we want what everyone else has. You'd need a big team to implement an Amiga optimised alternative. But also, the OS makes it hard at times. Cross platform GUI engines tend to look and work well on another OS. But on Amiga/OS4 it always tends to look like a fake GUI. And rarely has a native Amiga GUI. Clearly more work is needed so cross GUI engines can translate to Amiga GUI better.

The lack of hardware - Certainly. It's become too slow and expensive. Even the A1222 which was set to be a selling snap as a cost reduced AmigaOne board has been delayed too long and isn't the market boost it would have been five years ago.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 7:03:10
#38 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
The biggest Amiga hurdle is not porting AmigaOS over to Arm processors so you can run it on a Raspberry Pi 400. It would be the perfect option.

£93 gets you a very well constructed and powerful computer that can play 1080p video in a up to date web browser, output in 4K, is as versatile as a desktop PC

The biggest hurdle with your idea is that if AmigaOS was ported to the Raspberry Pi 400, you would have a very well constructed and powerful computer that can't play 1080p video in an obsolete web browser, can't output in 4K, and isn't as versatile as a desktop PC.

Well, perhaps.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle