Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5970 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
55 crawler(s) on-line.
 18 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

redfox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 redfox:  2 mins ago
 nbache:  15 mins ago
 nikosidis:  26 mins ago
 BigD:  31 mins ago
 tygre:  32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Skateman:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 eliyahu:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Linux Kernel Developers Discuss Dropping A Bunch Of Old CPUs
Register To Post

PosterThread
bison 
Linux Kernel Developers Discuss Dropping A Bunch Of Old CPUs
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 4:03:12
#1 ]

Quote:
Some non-ARM platforms that might also be candidates for removal include:

- H8300
- C6X
- SPARC/Sun4M
- PowerPC/CELL (separate from the PlayStation 3 code)
- PowerPC/CHRP
- PowerPC/AmigaOne

Linux Kernel Developers Discuss Dropping A Bunch Of Old CPUs

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Linux Kernel Developers Discuss Dropping A Bunch Of Old CPUs
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 6:05:36
#2 ]
Elite Member

@bison

PowerPC/AmigaOne? When did they ever support PowerPC/AmigaOne? I've never seen an official kernel build in the past 15 years that supported PowerPC/AmigaOne out of the box so I don't know that means.

Do they mean removing support for configuring it in a custom kernel? In that case PowerPC/AmigaOne is rather obsolete as there has been PowerPC/SamXXX, PowerPC/AmigaOne X1000 and PowerPC/AmigaOne X5000 in the meantime. All completely different PowerPC/AmigaOne platforms. Also what about PowerPC/Pegasos that was directly supported in PPC distros?

To be fair running Linux on a PowerPC/AmigaOne platform these days is too dog slow. You can't do much with it. Even just on a simple desktop it's not good. A sub 1Ghz CPU and no graphics acceleration is just too slow for even basic work. It works but it isn't pretty to deal with lag. The only thing in its favour is the kernel can boot real fast on an XE and would be wicked fast on an SSD I imagine.

Last edited by Hypex on 11-Jan-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Geri 
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 8:51:49
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@bison

PowerPC/AmigaOne? When did they ever support PowerPC/AmigaOne? I've never seen an official kernel build in the past 15 years that supported PowerPC/AmigaOne out of the box so I don't know that means.

Code to boot Linux on a first-gen AmigaOne is in the official Linux source code since kernel v2.6.30 IIRC. Distribution support is naturally a different thing. In this case you're right: no GNU/Linux distribution ever provided kernel images for the first-gen AmigaOne machines.

Big problem in this case was that interest in PowerPC was declining due to Apples shift to x86 and Debian lost its PowerPC maintainer back then. So bringing AmigaOne platform support into Debian wasn't really possible at that time. My hope was to change that now that the Debian PowerPC Port again has a proper maintainer and new distributions like Void PPC are specifically targeting PowerPC. But hope dies last...

Quote:
Do they mean removing support for configuring it in a custom kernel?

They're talking about completely removing support for building a kernel that can run on first-gen AmigaOnes.

Quote:
In that case PowerPC/AmigaOne is rather obsolete as there has been PowerPC/SamXXX, PowerPC/AmigaOne X1000 and PowerPC/AmigaOne X5000 in the meantime. All completely different PowerPC/AmigaOne platforms. Also what about PowerPC/Pegasos that was directly supported in PPC distros?

To be fair running Linux on a PowerPC/AmigaOne platform these days is too dog slow. You can't do much with it. Even just on a simple desktop it's not good. A sub 1Ghz CPU and no graphics acceleration is just too slow for even basic work. It works but it isn't pretty to deal with lag. The only thing in its favour is the kernel can boot real fast on an XE and would be wicked fast on an SSD I imagine.

I agree that it is dog slow and the missing graphics acceleration is a pain in the ass, but according to this also support for the m68k/amiga platform would have to be removed where even booting the bare Linux kernel takes at least 10 minutes. But okay, this platform has probably more Linux users than the first-gen AmigaOne.

BTW: is any of the other AmigaOne platforms officially supported by a Linux distribution (and no, I'm not talking about the support provided by AEON for Linux)?

- A1 Linux support -

bison 
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 18:36:35
#4 ]

@Hypex

I searched the kernel,org mailing list thread, and at this time there's really not any further information, except for this brief note:

Quote:
I can also confirm that Pegasos2 users in the Amiga scene are running Linux (Debian) on these machines.

Old platforms: bring out your dead

Last edited by bison on 11-Jan-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 11-Jan-2021 20:29:17
#5 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:
bison wrote:
@Hypex

I searched the kernel,org mailing list thread, and at this time there's really not any further information, except for this brief note:

Quote:
I can also confirm that Pegasos2 users in the Amiga scene are running Linux (Debian) on these machines.

Old platforms: bring out your dead

Yepp, some users over at a1k.org have installed Linux on their Pegasos2 machines. More important however is that the Debian PowerPC ports maintainer is still using powerpc/chrp machines to which the Pegasos2 belongs to.

- A1 Linux support -

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle