Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  1 secs ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  45 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [POLL] Is your Amiga a PC?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Is your Amiga a PC?
Yes - and why wouldn't it be?
No - my Amiga is not a PC (leave a comment in the forum)

PosterThread
paolone 
Re: [POLL] Is your Amiga a PC?
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 13:06:47
#21 ]

Yes. Definitely YES: My Amiga *IS* a PC.

It runs AROS x86 software natively OR Amiga M68K one under emulation (Janus or WinUAE, depending on what I have to do). And this is the fastest, cheapest and most reliable solution I could think about.

Profile     Report this post  
evilFrog 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 13:18:45
#22 ]

@Petah

No, my Amiga is not a 'PC'.
The irony is, it is probably the most 'personal' of all computing devices in my house. macOS and Windows are not my friend, and Linux, while understandable and less overtly harmful, feels quite cold and unfriendly.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 14:36:06
#23 ]
Cult Member

My Amiga is not PC. In fact I prefer it to be politically incorrect.

Edit: And my Amiga in fact has a PC in it, see the link in my signature.

Last edited by Chain-Q on 14-Apr-2021 at 02:37 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 22:39:47
#24 ]

BigD Quote:

And yet if you said to someone, “would you like to see my unique PC” and they saw AmigaOS with no MS Word, Fortnight or Minecraft they’d think you were mad. As previously clarified, text books would call the Amiga a form of personal computer but the rest of the world only see PCs as Windows boxes! Software that is available for the PC on Steam is for x86-64 machines only (heck Steam itself doesn’t run on the Amiga). To all intensive purposes other than historically obsessives a PC is a Windows box running on a x86-64. Linux might run on a PC but people would still question whether it’s a PC because Windows became the defining feature of PCs not form factor, size or use.

History can be forgotten rather quickly. The beginning of personal computers started in the 1970s. IBM PCs were originally DOS based. Windows was not released until November 1985 after the release of the Amiga in July 1985. Yet, the Amiga poll shows that the majority voting do *not* believe the Amiga is a personal computer. Wiki mentions the Amiga as a personal computer.

Wikipedia Quote:

Another famous personal computer, the revolutionary Amiga 1000, was unveiled by Commodore on 23 July 1985. The Amiga 1000 featured a multitasking, windowing operating system, color graphics with a 4096-color palette, stereo sound, Motorola 68000 CPU, 256 KB RAM, and 880 KB 3.5-inch disk drive, for US$1,295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

BigD Quote:

In the UK ‘home computer/home computing’ best described the Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC 464, Spectrum, Apple II, C64, BBC Micro etc. Maybe in America they were all marketed as ‘PCs’? In the USA the victor writes the history so no wonder the IBM PCs stole the classification name here like Hoover, Nintendo and George Foreman. It doesn’t mean that the Amiga was categorised as anything other than a ‘home computer/games computer’ in the UK/Europe despite being mainly a Video/Graphics Workstation in the USA and at games development studios around the world.

In my opinion, the Amiga was marketed as a PC in the U.S. with very minimal marketing. Gaming consoles were popular here for kids while parents could afford more expensive serious personal computers. Less expensive and smaller footprint all in one computers were more popular in other parts of the world. U.S. households likely had more money, space and TVs (for consoles) on average.

Chain-Q Quote:

My Amiga is not PC. In fact I prefer it to be politically incorrect.

Clever.

SHADES 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 22:52:37
#25 ]
Cult Member

@Petah

BOTH reasons!!

My Amiga is both my personal computer (PC) and also an IBM compatible computer which has taken the description for itself via mass adoption lol

Why?
Well, my A4000 is just no longer cutting it.
I find it very difficult to keep it running, and it's very slow now.
I can emulate faster than ANY real Amiga hardware including accelerators, I have superfast Disk, networking serial and other I/O, really snappy HD screen resolutions in full colour and much more memory Chip and otherwise, that I just cannot have on the real hardware.

That being said, would I prefer REAL hardware that could at least offer the majority of these abilities at a reasonable price? *ahem...ARM devices?
Seriously, 5k for a sub performing new device that still can't hold its own is not a viable alternative.
So, you BET. If it's cheap and can offer a great experience like an inexpensive Pi can, Absolutely!

Why?
Overheads, not relying on a host OS that still has to do other tasks, less to go wrong, bare metal performance enhancements, future development of my favourite OS that is still, light weight, fast and very user-friendly and enjoyable to use.

BigD 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 0:26:03
#26 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
Less expensive and smaller footprint all in one computers were more popular in other parts of the world. U.S. households likely had more money, space and TVs (for consoles) on average.

Those smaller footprint ‘home computers’ often used TVs as their VDU. Many were quite expensive but the fact that you could use a TV was a way of bringing the cost down. UK families had money too but parents needed to justify the outlay with the fact computers could be used for education and school work. I’m surprised home computers were never as big in the US as the NES was a failure here with very little traction in a market dominated by micros. I don’t remember any hype for the NES in the UK until Mario Bros 3!

simplex 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 1:49:29
#27 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Maybe I misunderstand matthey, but I think you've misunderstood him. What I think he's saying is that there were a lot more Atari consoles in the US, also Intellivisions, Osbornes, ColecoVisions, etc. than there were home computers. But there were loads of home computers. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

It isn't that a vibrant home computer market didn't exist; it's that PCs flooded the market, so the old-style home computer market disappeared. They were just deemed obsolete, and the market moved on.

For instance, the home computers I distinctly remember either seeing in person in my youth (up to about 1993), or at least talking with people who owned, included the Apple II and/or IIe, the Apple IIgs, a Commodore 64, a Vic-20, a TI-99/4A, a Sinclair ZX-80, various models of TRS-80 (one of the Z80 models and quite a few Color Computer models -- we were in a CoCo club), and of course an Amiga 1000. In the early 80s you could find home computers for sale in department stores (a la Sears) and Radio Shacks and who knows where else. They even survived the game console crash of that time.

I myself bought a Tandy Color Computer III with my newspaper route money, and later an Amiga 500 because Tandy abandoned the Color Computer line.

IBM's association with business computing (they were not a monopoly, but it wouldn't have taken much more to make them one) and their idea to call their "home" computer offering the "Personal" Computer, meant people wanted IBM PCs at work, wanted them to do their business at home, and automatically considered them "real" computers while those "home" computers were little more than toys. Rumor is that IBM deliberately crippled their PC with an 8086 instead of a 68000 because they wanted to make a few bucks and didn't want the PC to hurt their minicomputer market. Totally backfired.

I'm a free markets kind of guy, but I have no problem saying the market is composed of morons, and the triumph of the PC is Exhibit A. Though it didn't help that the next-generation machines (Amiga, Atari ST, Mac) were almost always incompatible with their predecessors.

matthey 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 1:57:22
#28 ]

BigD Quote:

Those smaller footprint ‘home computers’ often used TVs as their VDU. Many were quite expensive but the fact that you could use a TV was a way of bringing the cost down. UK families had money too but parents needed to justify the outlay with the fact computers could be used for education and school work. I’m surprised home computers were never as big in the US as the NES was a failure here with very little traction in a market dominated by micros. I don’t remember any hype for the NES in the UK until Mario Bros 3!

I loved the versatility of the Amiga and it had much better gfx and sound than NES but NES was very cheap and the games were higher quality on average. Most kids in the neighborhood had a NES and even the kids in my family bought a NES even though I let them play my superior Amiga. They bought a Sega Genesis later even though the Amiga was still superior. At least the Sega Genesis was superior in games that made heavy use of sprites and again, the games were higher quality on average. The kids respected my Amiga and some tried to get their parents to buy one but few were successful. The Amiga price was above the toy price threshold and it wasn't easy to find a store that sells them. If internet shopping had come on faster and the Amiga could have sold more online while continuing to reduce costs and update the technology, then they probably would have made it. Dropping the price low enough could have created a Raspberry Pi like Amiga earlier. Expectations drop quickly as prices enter toy/novelty territory.

IBM PC compatible (for business work at home) and Apple (for school work at home) are what parents wanted for U.S. home computers and they didn't mind spending more to get them. Kids were usually happy with their trendy console toys. If U.S. kids had been choosing the computers to buy and the Amiga had been available in more stores, it would have been more of a success here.

Last edited by matthey on 15-Apr-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 15-Apr-2021 at 02:04 AM.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 16:24:31
#29 ]
Elite Member

A silly poll. Anything that's a desktop computer as opposed to a mainframe or minicomputer can be called a microcomputer or personal computer. Is the Amiga a PC though? No because over time as IBM compatibles became the dominant platform they became known as the PC. This poll relies on the play on the initials for personal computer and what is a PC. People in the UK and probably elsewhere use the Hoover brand as a verb for vacuuming. But am I Hoovering when I am using a Shark or Dyson? Does Googling have to be done on the Google search engine or is it a verb for any search?

Quiet week in Amiga land. Must be some more lawsuits that could be filled??

evilFrog 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 16:48:10
#30 ]

@A1200

Quote:
am I Hoovering when I am using a Shark or Dyson?

Get a Roomba and then whatever it’s called it’s not you doing it.

Trekiej 
Posted on 16-Apr-2021 18:42:23
#31 ]
Cult Member

@Petah

My PC is an Amiga.
I say this because it is becoming more like an Amiga over the years.

John 3:16

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle