Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  22 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 11 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 33 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Posted on 18-May-2021 19:46:06
#81 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
BigD is holding strong till 3.3 comes out.

Good point! There's still no sign of the AmiDock from OS3.9 Maybe AmigaOS3.3 will be third time's the charm?

From EAB on 25th April 2021 from Gulliver:

Quote:
No, there is no AmiDock in AmigaOS 3.2.

One of our developers managed to meet and have a brief and friendly
conversation with Frank Mariak. He said he would look into the matter
of taking a decision regarding his product. This was many months ago,
and unfortunately we have no news since then.

Shame, as it could have been his windfall moment considering how generous Hyperion are with their cash

Last edited by BigD on 18-May-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-May-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-May-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
matthey 
Posted on 18-May-2021 22:14:37
#82 ]
Elite Member

Chris_Y Quote:

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered it, so we'll see. It should fix all the annoying bugs in the classes I was working around/ignoring. If this is the case I may make it require 3.2/v47 as a minimum - it will remove a lot of horrid OS3 branches.

The classes from AmigaOS 4 may be well tested but the root classes extend into intuition's Boopsi objects. I would be surprised if the AmigaOS 4 Intuition.library replaced the AmigaOS 3 intuition.library so there may be some old bugs as well as some cut and splice bugs introduced. NetSurf should be a good cross architecture test program and maybe you can get bugs fixed.

Chris_Y Quote:

Something which is interesting from the FAQ that I wasn't aware of, is that P96 has a "native" driver, so I need to test that as I can get rid of a lot of OS3 specific graphics code if it works OK.

There are a couple of caveats with the P96 "native" driver. The native driver requires "a recent version of P96" according to the P96 "native" driver on Aminet. AmigaOS 3.2 does *not* include P96 (in whatever integrated form it is) and it looks like Hyperion would *not* be able to backport P96 from AmigaOS 4 as their license is only for PPC. P96 is an extra expense which AmigaOS 3.2 does not include (also lacks a TCP/IP stack) and which some users will not purchase. Users without RTG hardware may be more reluctant to buy P96 as they are getting less benefit from the software. The P96 "native" driver is likely to use several MiBs more memory further decreasing the appeal.

P96 "native" driver on Aminet
http://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/Native

AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ on Aminet
http://aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.2-FAQ.txt

Chris_Y 
Posted on 18-May-2021 23:39:46
#83 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
The classes from AmigaOS 4 may be well tested but the root classes extend into intuition's Boopsi objects. I would be surprised if the AmigaOS 4 Intuition.library replaced the AmigaOS 3 intuition.library so there may be some old bugs as well as some cut and splice bugs introduced.

I think most of the known bugs will be fixed, at least anything relevant to BOOPSI/ReAction should be known about already or found during testing (and OS3.1.4 already had a bugfixed intuition.library).

OS4 Intuition has some new root classes which probably aren't in OS3.2 (pointerclass might be though, given the screenshot of Pointer Prefs). There's one I use which puts the status bar in the window border, can't remember what that was but it either didn't exist or didn't work in 3.1.

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2021 15:40:47
#84 ]
Elite Member

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1448129&postcount=954

So what was the "much needed OS contribution"?

hth313 
Posted on 19-May-2021 18:21:12
#85 ]

Is the EULA public yet? Can I buy the CD and install it on more than one Amiga? Is it allowed to install it on Vampire V4 or using emulators?

Basically, can I get the CD and use it as much as I want on whatever Amiga or Amigalike machine I come up with, for my personal use?

BigD 
Posted on 19-May-2021 22:38:38
#86 ]
Elite Member

@hth313

I've just noticed that the Gulliver chap that has helped write OS3.2 was involved in the Boing Bag 4 project! Long time labour of love for AmigaOS!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52707

He's one of the good guys!

http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/

Last edited by BigD on 20-May-2021 at 12:51 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 20-May-2021 0:49:01
#87 ]
Elite Member

BigD Quote:

I've just noticed that the Gulliver chap that has helped write OS3.2 was involved in the Boing Bag 4 project! Long time labour of love for AmigaOS!

I doubt Gulliver did much writing, as in coding, but there is lots of other work to do on projects like these.

BigD 
Posted on 20-May-2021 0:53:14
#88 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

What did he do then? He obviously can code and compile scripts and installs including for the BoingBall compilations.

kolla 
Posted on 20-May-2021 1:02:58
#89 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I've just noticed that the Gulliver chap that has helped write OS3.2 was involved in the Boing Bag 4 project!

That is well known (though "write 3.2" is a stretch, Gulliver struggles with even writing shell scripts properly), his role has mostly been as lead tester. The other boingbag dude, however, Minuous, just loves ReAction, so he has been part of the OS team ever since it became clear that Hyperion's fresh ownership of ReAction meant integration into 3.2.

However - BoingBag3+4 was always a shady distribution of a lot of software that neither of them had any license to distribute. Minuous to this day hosts a kickstart and other OS components for download on his homepages (search for ROM) ... am I really the only one who find it mighty ironic how a starch defender of copyrights such as ThoR can work on the OS with people who have a long history with not caring much about copyrights on the platform? Also, Gulliver has stated that AROS/m68k is a dead end, as AmigaOS will be open source anyways. This also in starch contrast to what ThoR (and Olsen) have stated.

Last edited by kolla on 20-May-2021 at 01:06 AM.

khayoz 
Posted on 20-May-2021 1:38:41
#90 ]

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@all

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/news

Let's pirate copy the f**k out of this release and send an envelope(snailmail)
with money to Thomas and Olaf(so they can split out the money to all the devs!)
instead of feeding more ca$h into court bills!

EDIT: Don't forget where the money's at! Right here AMIGA community! :)

Last edited by khayoz on 20-May-2021 at 01:50 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 20-May-2021 1:41:53
#91 ]
Elite Member

BigD Quote:

What did he do then? He obviously can code and compile scripts and installs including for the BoingBall compilations.

Gulliver assembled all the "unofficial" patches for AmigaOS 3.9 in one place. I believe Minuous (James Jacobs) did the install scripts for the controversial BoingBags.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20247&forum=2&poll_id=435

I contributed some bug fixes and the Amiga guide Workbench help file with menu help support. It's nice to see 68k AmigaOS development done from sources but too bad some of the Amiga businesses are leaches who have developers working for free while gouging users directly from their work. I guess this is what happens when the market is too small to support these businesses but they retain their tight grip on their precious.

Last edited by matthey on 20-May-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Steady 
Posted on 20-May-2021 2:23:32
#92 ]

@kolla

I believe that was ThoR's MMU 680x0 libraries.

kolla 
Posted on 20-May-2021 20:54:14
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Steady

Ah yes, that makes sense.

So what is the arrangements, who has ownership over them now, are the ones in 3.2 “special edition” licensed to Hyperion? Or will all updates now only be provided through OS updates? I suppose time will tell.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-May-2021 2:04:41
#94 ]
Elite Member

AmigaOS 3.2 sales to the moon! Hopefully it works without issues on the Vampire V4.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-May-2021 10:02:38
#95 ]
Elite Member

@kolla Quote:

kolla wrote:
@BigD

Quote:
I've just noticed that the Gulliver chap that has helped write OS3.2 was involved in the Boing Bag 4 project!

That is well known (though "write 3.2" is a stretch, Gulliver struggles with even writing shell scripts properly), his role has mostly been as lead tester. The other boingbag dude, however, Minuous, just loves ReAction, so he has been part of the OS team ever since it became clear that Hyperion's fresh ownership of ReAction meant integration into 3.2.

However - BoingBag3+4 was always a shady distribution of a lot of software that neither of them had any license to distribute. Minuous to this day hosts a kickstart and other OS components for download on his homepages (search for ROM) ... am I really the only one who find it mighty ironic how a starch defender of copyrights such as ThoR can work on the OS with people who have a long history with not caring much about copyrights on the platform? Also, Gulliver has stated that AROS/m68k is a dead end, as AmigaOS will be open source anyways. This also in starch contrast to what ThoR (and Olsen) have stated.

This explains the hatred campaign of Minuous against of what he identified as Hyperion's "enemies" (AROS, MorphOS, and of course Cloanto/Battilana).

And it also explains why he wasn't banned from EAB (which is 68K-centric) when he has written certain statements about copyrights & piracy.

matthey 
Posted on 22-May-2021 12:42:35
#96 ]
Elite Member

cdimauro Quote:

This explains the hatred campaign of Minuous against of what he identified as Hyperion's "enemies" (AROS, MorphOS, and of course Cloanto/Battilana).

Minuous has not been one of the AmigaOS developers for long (signed up by Gulliver when it was known Reaction was being added to AmigaOS 3.2?) and he expressed strong opinions against Cloanto/Battilana (in regards to the lawsuit) and AROS before joining the development team. Other developers like ThoR have also publicly made statements favoring Hyperion as the 68k developer due to the resources offered to improve the 68k AmigaOS while ignoring the owner of the AmigaOS original source code and IP marks. As much benefit as there is for the 68k AmigaOS and PPC AmigaOS APIs to converge, more AmigaOS 4 code allows Hyperion to gain a tighter grip on the 68k AmigaOS. AmigaOS user support is likely to shift toward Hyperion as a necessary evil even though they are more like the mafia selling protection which takes all of the minimal profits. The hostility toward Cloanto/Battilana could very well grow even as he tries to do the right thing in putting the Amiga back together again.

cdimauro Quote:

And it also explains why he wasn't banned from EAB (which is 68K-centric) when he has written certain statements about copyrights & piracy.

EAB is very lenient as far as copyrights and piracy which is ironic considering how suppressive of free speech their heavy moderation is. It's about the opposite of this forum.

number6 
Posted on 22-May-2021 12:58:32
#97 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Quote:
live presentation of AmigaOS 3.2 this Saturday 22nd of May, at 6pm CET (5pm GMT+1)

details

number6 
Posted on 22-May-2021 13:18:37
#98 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Installing AmigaOS 3.2 - First Impressions!

tygre 
Posted on 22-May-2021 22:40:25
#99 ]

@matthey

Moderation is important and sometimes necessary...

The always excellent XKCD

Cheers!

cdimauro 
Posted on 23-May-2021 9:04:14
#100 ]
Elite Member

@matthey Quote:

matthey wrote:
cdimauro Quote:

Minuous has not been one of the AmigaOS developers for long (signed up by Gulliver when it was known Reaction was being added to AmigaOS 3.2?) and he expressed strong opinions against Cloanto/Battilana (in regards to the lawsuit) and AROS before joining the development team. Other developers like ThoR have also publicly made statements favoring Hyperion as the 68k developer due to the resources offered to improve the 68k AmigaOS while ignoring the owner of the AmigaOS original source code and IP marks.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
As much benefit as there is for the 68k AmigaOS and PPC AmigaOS APIs to converge, more AmigaOS 4 code allows Hyperion to gain a tighter grip on the 68k AmigaOS. AmigaOS user support is likely to shift toward Hyperion as a necessary evil even though they are more like the mafia selling protection which takes all of the minimal profits.

Unfortunately that's what's happening, as it was clearly seen already with AmigaOS 3.1.4.
Quote:
The hostility toward Cloanto/Battilana could very well grow even as he tries to do the right thing in putting the Amiga back together again.

Indeed. I liked the idea to open source the Amiga o.s. under a foundation / committee "umbrella".
Quote:
cdimauro Quote:

EAB is very lenient as far as copyrights and piracy which is ironic considering how suppressive of free speech their heavy moderation is. It's about the opposite of this forum.

There's free speech as long as you don't critic the totems (Amiga, 68K), otherwise you're considered a troll (no matter if you report facts) and maybe even banned.

Regarding piracy & copyright, well, I don't even comment...

@tygre Quote:

tygre wrote:
@matthey

Moderation is important and sometimes necessary...

The always excellent XKCD

Cheers!

I agree that moderation is important, but on EAB trolls/fanatics became moderators, and this CAN'T guarantee moderation of the forum by definition.

Recently one of the worst ones, Damien, was... banned! He was first removed by the moderator role because he did too much trolling on a thread (just by case: one about Vampire. Which he seems to hate), which was unsustainable even on a place like EAB. After that he was still trolling against other moderators, making cutting remarks. Now it's banned (don't know the reason).

But there are still moderators which act like fanatics.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle