Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Bruce72:  23 secs ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 Rob:  31 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  47 mins ago
 t0lkien:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  3.2
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 10:27:29
#1 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

A thought, my friends, keeps me awake at night, shambling through the labyrinthine passageways of my manor, pensive sighs echoing in the darkness like laments of a tormented spirit from the world beyond...

"How did development of OS 3.2 happen exactly?".

Of course, oh brothers in Amiga, I can see the names attached to this wonderous piece of software. And truly wonderous it is, adding just so much on top of 3.1 without trying to twist it into some pig with lipstick, OS 4 style. Adding features that really, really improve usability, instead of transparent windows and animated backgrounds (ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS, JESUS H. CHRIST)

It is not the names of those modern heroes that I wonder about. Oh no.
What I ask myself, and you dearest friends too, is how they got together to make this happen.
How did they get the code from that rotten hollow shell of evil, that fountain of vomit that is Hyperion.
Whether they have signed any blood deal with that great Satan.

Because, as I return to my ornate, antique canopy bed and slide under the pure silk duvet, one last vision engulfs my mind before I finally fall again into the sweet arms of Morpheus: a vision of those guys getting to work for love of the Amiga name only, that catarrhous slithering attorney getting them to think HE is making them a favour, and ultimately profiting from their hard, unwitting-slave labor.

TELL ME my friends,
that it isn't so.

Tell me,
please.

FROM THE DESK OF

MEGA_RJ_MICAL THE FIRST,
PROTECTOR OF THE MEEK, SCOURGE OF BELGIAN CVBAS

Profile     Report this post  
BSzili 
Re: 3.2
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 11:51:57
#2 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

I think Olsen had the 3.1 code all along, Thor also has the code for the components he wrote. It was probably just the matter of the OS4 money drying up. The last surge of OS4 purchases was thanks to the PPC support in WinUAE, hell, even I bought a copy of OS4.1FE Classic. The 68k market is much more lucrative these days, so it made sense to get a slice of of that pie. Unfortunately that pie was laden with lawsuits, but that's another story

Birbo 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 12:51:27
#3 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Development of 3.2 took place in Amiga World. That's the only answer I can give.

Not really satisfying. Like almost every post in this forum.

Better ask Olsen

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 15:27:37
#4 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

“really improve usability, instead of transparent windows”

That is actually useful, because it hardware accelerated by GPU, it drastically lowers the CPU usage, when moving windows.

“(ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS, JESUS H. CHRIST)”

This are optional, part of AEON enhancement pack, I do not have that enabled, sure its fun for little while, but it does take resources.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Jun-2021 at 04:13 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 16:51:39
#5 ]

BSzili Quote:

I think Olsen had the 3.1 code all along, Thor also has the code for the components he wrote. It was probably just the matter of the OS4 money drying up. The last surge of OS4 purchases was thanks to the PPC support in WinUAE, hell, even I bought a copy of OS4.1FE Classic. The 68k market is much more lucrative these days, so it made sense to get a slice of of that pie. Unfortunately that pie was laden with lawsuits, but that's another story

Yep. I expect Hyperion originally obtained the source code from devs like Olsen as Amiga Inc. didn't have it. Olsen and ThoR supposedly approached Hyperion asking for permission to release a bug fixed 68k AmigaOS. ThoR at least had bug fixed and enhanced AmigaOS modules sitting on his hard drive which didn't make it into any of the AmigaOS 3.9 BoingBags. I sent ThoR a bug report about wrong results from MuRedox which I found while testing FPU libs for vbcc several years ago in which he claimed his Amiga 2000 with 68060 board was not working, likely for some time. He cleaned and reseated his accelerator and it was back up and running. Some things in the Amiga World come back to life no matter how dead they seem.

BSzili 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 17:02:55
#6 ]

@matthey

Tell me about it. I thought my 1260 accelerator was a goner, but apparently all I had to do is to reseat the Mach chip. Those corroded contacts can play tricks on you.

simplex 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 17:20:02
#7 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
PROTECTOR OF THE MEEK, SCOURGE OF BELGIAN CVBAS

Y'hain't been scourging too well lately, Mr. Omega; that Belgian CVBA found its lawyer.

matthey 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 20:18:05
#8 ]

BSzili Quote:

Tell me about it. I thought my 1260 accelerator was a goner, but apparently all I had to do is to reseat the Mach chip. Those corroded contacts can play tricks on you.

We are going to need replacements for our old Amiga hardware at some point. It is less capital intensive to produce low end hardware where the AmigaOS competes better.

PPC Amiga hardware: 1000 units * $1000 = $1,000,000
68k Amiga hardware: 100,000 units * $10 = $1,000,000

Amiga SoC, Digital output, USB, ethernet, uSD and GPIO are pretty simple and it wouldn't be difficult to surpass the performance of the fastest 68060 Amigas. Development costs would be higher but the end of Moore's Law means well designed hardware can be useful for decades.

kolla 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 22:53:40
#9 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:

Olsen and ThoR supposedly approached Hyperion asking for permission to release a bug fixed 68k AmigaOS.

That is indeed how I recall the first mentions of 3.1.4 as well - NOT the other way around - Hyperion asking them first. And it was all due to the hype of Vampire cards and various other 68k hardware popping up (much thanks to Chucky’s DiagROM). I believe “the official story” now is that Hyperion did the initiative by contacting Thomas via Olsen. As usual in Amiga land, it is important to change history in hindsight to protect the not so innocent.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 8-Jun-2021 23:30:22
#10 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

I think the 68K hardware is already available and selling well. It's called the Vampire V4.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 08-Jun-2021 at 11:30 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 2:41:10
#11 ]

DiscreetFX Quote:

I think the 68K hardware is already available and selling well. It's called the Vampire V4.

The price/performance of the FPGA Vampire is nowhere close to what is needed to revitalize the 68k Amiga market and attract software support. ARM 68k emulation may be able to undercut the price of FPGA hardware while providing better performance. Make the 68k cheap enough and it will be embedded instead of emulated by ARM. ARM is embedded everywhere because it is cheap from embedded market mass production. The 68k may be able to use the same trick again (the 68k was the best selling 32 bit embedded CPU in the world until Motorola abandoned the architecture, SuperH copied off it while licensing the 68000 becoming the best selling 32 bit embedded CPU before licensing the technology to ARM for the Thumb encodings which again resulted in the best selling 32 bit cores in the world).

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 6:14:12
#12 ]

Friends,
friends whom I treasure more than oh so many other precious things in my life,

you have already strayed from my questions like cute labrador puppies who just came into the world and whose attention can be hijacked in a second by a passing butterfly.

Let's get back on topic:

HOW COULD THOSE SERIOUS, INTELLIGENT, HARDWORKING FELLOWS PUT 3.2 IN THE HANDS OF THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS AND ENGAGE IN SLAVE LABOR FOR HIM???

If the ones who can do the most for Amiga still fall in line and kowtow at the mere sight of a "suit" (and I'd argue that conman even owns one) - like caricature nerd engineers from the 80s - then all hope is truly lost.

MRJM!
--
#FREEDOTFREE MOVEMENT FOR THE LIBERATION OF WORKBENCH 3.3

Birbo 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 9:08:43
#13 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

What options would they have had to distribute 3.2?

I do not like Hyperion CBVATZGHEGBB. The mistake of the imprecise and unclear contracts was mainly made by Amiga Inc.
Negotiations about the contents of the existing contracts will now also depend on the interpretation of the judges.

It is a pity that we have been running in all possible directions for many years. Every woman for herself or every man for himself. Without vision and strategy. With a lot of anger in our stomachs.

But the love for the Amiga somehow unites us. But that is all we have at the moment.

Last edited by Birbo on 09-Jun-2021 at 09:09 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 10:45:29
#14 ]

@Birbo

Quote:

Birbo wrote:
@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

What options would they have had to distribute 3.2?

FREE IT.

Only a naive fool would think there could be any legal consequences:

3.1's source - 30 years old, ownership unclear and distputed, by an insolvent company that has been called to be forcibly dissolved twice already, now made up by ONE person, who is insolvent himself.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN?

Moreover, that rotten dweller of festering trash mounds should be content enough of being able to claim ownership of the DERIVATIVE work that is OS 4.1.

MRJM!
#FREEDOTFREE MOVEMENT FOR THE LIBI don't remember what I wrote last time

Birbo 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 11:37:57
#15 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Olaf Barthel? May we have your opinion?

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 13:02:03
#16 ]

@Birbo

On what specifically, friend Birbo?

simplex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 13:32:40
#17 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
you have already strayed from my questions like cute labrador puppies who just came into the world and whose attention can be hijacked in a second by a passing butterfly.

I dint. Seems ta me tha question's easily anserd: y'hain't been scourging the Belgian CVBAs the way ya claimed. Insted a thumpin Belgian CVBAs ya been thumpin ya chest shouting VROOOM an such not.

Quote:
HOW COULD THOSE SERIOUS, INTELLIGENT, HARDWORKING FELLOWS PUT 3.2 IN THE HANDS OF THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS AND ENGAGE IN SLAVE LABOR FOR HIM???

They's waitin' fer ya to open a can o' whoop-[CVB]As.

bison 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 13:56:54
#18 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

Have you been reading Huck Finn or something?

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 14:22:25
#19 ]

@simplex

"You" was a plural "you" addressing multiple people.
As a matter of fact, everyone but you,
friend Simplex.

Bestest of all conceivable regards,
MEGA

simplex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 16:09:30
#20 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
As a matter of fact, everyone but you,
friend Simplex.

AWESOME I love being th'exception to th'rule! You rule, Omega -- but apparently you do not rule me, since I's the exception.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle