Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  52 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 41 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 44 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [POLL] Do you trust your AmigaOS programs?
Register To Post

Poll : Do you trust your AmigaOS programs?
Yes, I mostly run open source programs (to make sure they don't contain any trojan-like functionality)
Yes, and I use software and/or hardware to amp my security
No, I'm aware of the problem and I never use my Amiga for anything sensitive
Undecided - this isn't an issue I've considered before

PosterThread
Petah 
[POLL] Do you trust your AmigaOS programs?
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 9:08:42
#1 ]

As already known to quite a few Amiga users, the operating system currently sports few ways of protecting its end user towards maleficent software. Tasks and processes aren't running in closed, "sand boxed" environments and Exec - the AmigaOS command center - allows system wide access to all sorts of memory pointers, allowing third party programs to potentially read and manipulate sensitive data. The lack of a native multi user environment adds additional complexity to the problem, granting all programs read and write access to the filesystems. A program posing like a utility may, in theory, alter data stored in the Amiga's RAM circuitry as well as in its hard disk.

To circumvent problems before they arise, Amiga users do have a slew of tools that can be used. Hardware-wise, legacy Amigas outfitted with Memory Management Units have an edge; in combination with software like mmu.library and MuForce, a limited memory protection-like environment is possible to set up. Moreover, software like Multiuser provides an additional layer of limited security. Users with modern Amigas running Release 4.1 have - while waiting for the ExecSG update - the option to run a software firewall such as Granite to keep the outer gates closed.

In this AmigaWorld.net Special Poll, you are kindly but firmly asked to answer whether or not you trust third party programs running on your Amiga not to compromise system security in any way and, additionally, whether or not you are taking any precautions to ensure as high level of saftey as possible.

Profile     Report this post  
OldAmigan 
Re: [POLL] Do you trust your AmigaOS programs?
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 12:41:23
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Petah

I voted -never considered it.

A bit daft, really because I'm very aware of the types of malware/viruses floating around and do take care with my Mac and Linux boxes.

I don't tend to do anything on my Amigas which interfaces with my other computers, though, and I suppose we do have a fair bit of 'security through obscurity' - more than Mac and Linux - at the end of the day.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 13:27:54
#3 ]
Elite Member

@OldAmigan

Other than old floppy based Sadam type viruses I have never viewed Amiga usage as particular at threat from malware and viruses! Maybe if I used more copied games or torrents but I don’t so no worries!

On the NG front; do the malware coders even know the AmigaOne machines exist? In regards to ‘trusting’ programs; the community is so small that if you had an issue or suspected a vulnerability you could speak to the coder directly!

NG machines seem secure enough for the Amistore/registering software IMHO.

kolla 
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 13:52:29
#4 ]
Elite Member

There's nostalgia in writing malware for Amiga too :)

redfox 
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 14:19:06
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

Never considered it on my NG Amiga system.

However, my QNX system required a root account for admin purposes and a user account for each user. I was the administrator and the only user, and I customized the look and feel of my user desktop.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 29-Jul-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 29-Jul-2021 at 02:28 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Jul-2021 18:39:27
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

AmigaOS designed to be hackable from that start, advantage anyone can make improvements to it, disadvantage, anyone can monitor anything.

Something to consider about internet services, is that some internet sites, require 2 level security, where, you depended on two devices to confirm who you are, for example mobile phone in addition to your computer, the problem with traditional passwords and users names, is that they are often reused, they often based on words, while the encryption improves the password does not. So even more secure operating systems, there is need fore something better then password protection.

AmigaOS defense against, ill minded hacker attempt to spy / monitor or steal data is that the community talks to etch other, if hacker attempt where to happen, everyone in the small community will mostly know about in an instant.

You can technically you can have secure application on an insecure OS, if you have high level language, where you have grant access, but that only work if it has no access to low level assembler. But if the OS is compromised so are the applications running on it too. that means a strict diet of applications you know is safe.

One thing even secure operating system has issue with, is insecure buffers, memory is recycled, it’s up to the programs to clear the memory when it’s allocating it, information can be left behind in recently freed memory. if memory is not initialized or clear, that memory or copies of it can find its way over insecure TCP/IP socket, by accident.

agami 
Posted on 30-Jul-2021 8:26:08
#7 ]

I know back in the day there were actual viruses written to execute and potentially exploit Amiga OS.

Since my very first A500 in the late '80s until today, I have never used any anti-virus software on any of my Amigas, and certainly nowadays I have little fear that someone has gone through the trouble of writing some sort of malware for the Amiga platform, NG or otherwise.

The target is too small. Why I bet I could actually put out a bounty for someone to actually write some Amiga malware and it would never get done.

If in the not too distant future I encounter some form of malware on my classic Amiga, or on the Vampire V4 standalone running ApolloOS, I will actually jump for joy. It would be a sign that the ecosystem is large enough for some developer to be tempted to exploit it.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle