Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 45 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 23 mins ago
 billt:  6 hrs 31 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 42 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 44 mins ago
 agami:  7 hrs 8 mins ago
 matthey:  7 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiGameJam 2021 - The annual Amiga game-making competition
Register To Post

PosterThread
Cammy 
AmiGameJam 2021 - The annual Amiga game-making competition
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 4:31:23
#1 ]

Dear Amiga friends and fellow retro enthusiasts, I would like to announce that the "AmiGameJam 2021" has begun!

AmiGameJam 2021 is the annual game development competition for the Amiga (originally the Festive Amiga Game-Making Competition).
This year the theme is "Ports", where all competitors will have six months, starting today, to port any game they like to the Amiga platform.
Each competitor will have the opportunity to win extraordinary prizes!

Competitors can use any means possible to code or build the game, that includes using game creation software kits (such as Red Pill, Scorpion Engine or GRAC).
This contest is open to two separate categories; Classic Amiga and the Next-Gen Amiga models (Aros, MorphOS and AmigaOS4).
A First Prize will be awarded to the winner of each category and, in addition, Second and Third Prizes will be awarded in the Classic category. In the case of games made specifically for the Vampire then it should be submitted be under the Next-Gen category.

To ensure the competition is fair for everyone, the work performed for the game should begin after this date.
Entries should be submitted by the 1st of February 2022 and the judging will begin after that. The winners will be announced on a very special awards show live-stream hosted by Amiga Bill, starring three celebrity judges and appearances from other special guests in the Amiga and retro community!

Introducing this years' amazing judges for the contest:
Judge #1 - The fantastic RJ Mical (creator of Amiga's Graphical User Interface)
Judge #2 - Hi7ch (an amazing variety streamer on Twitch who plays Amiga and retro games).
Judge #3 - TBA
We are all very grateful to have them onboard!

Please let me know if you are able to help out with donating prizes or money towards the prize pool!

Great thanks to Paul Kitching for his excellent logo! :)

https://itch.io/jam/amigamejam

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

Profile     Report this post  
ggw 
Re: AmiGameJam 2021 - The annual Amiga game-making competition
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 4:40:57
#2 ]

@Cammy

Quite inviting.
Have missed the Christmas version.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

amigadave 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 6:36:20
#3 ]

@Cammy

Nice to see you posting here Cammy. That's one great logo too.

Hope everything is going well for you and that I get to visit Australia soon, and can see you again in person to say hello.

jPV 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 9:52:59
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Cammy

Is this about porting (you have access to the source code and other resources) or making a remake (with no source codes, graphics, mechanics, etc)?

BigD 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 11:36:51
#5 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

It’s about creating new Amiga ports IMHO. This may risk copyright infringement? There is a place for porting of open sourced games but I didn’t think it was here! Inspiration yes, but reusing sprites etc is surely too far? May need clarification as to the rules!

Last edited by BigD on 01-Aug-2021 at 11:38 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 13:56:23
#6 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@jPV

It’s about creating new Amiga ports IMHO. This may risk copyright infringement? There is a place for porting of open sourced games but I didn’t think it was here! Inspiration yes, but reusing sprites etc is surely too far? May need clarification as to the rules!

I think that "port" or "porting" means that it is based on the original sources, but ported to a different platform or to different programming language. But if it is done without seeing the sources and you just implement similar behaviour and copy designs, it should be called as remake (you copy the game by writing it from scratch).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 14:01:39
#7 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

You recreate a game, but be careful with original art work.
many remakes require player to buy the original game copy data files.

BSzili 
Posted on 1-Aug-2021 15:30:59
#8 ]

@Cammy

Finally a competition for ports! Too bad I started Blood too early for this, plus I already had JFBuild working way back, so it wouldn't be fair to do another Build game.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what others come up with.

tekmage 
Posted on 3-Aug-2021 5:22:03
#9 ]

@Cammy

Love the new logo! Looking forward to seeing the results of the comp this year.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Cammy 
Posted on 4-Aug-2021 7:04:20
#10 ]

@ggw

Quote:
Quite inviting.
Have missed the Christmas version.

Me too, but it was time to expand away from the Christmas theme to attract broader attention. I think the Amiga community will still have a good Christmas with all the new releases coming out, and all the fun online contests and tournaments!

@amigadave

Quote:
Nice to see you posting here Cammy. That's one great logo too.

Hope everything is going well for you and that I get to visit Australia soon, and can see you again in person to say hello.

It's good to have something to post about again, Dave! Thank you, everything is going well for me now, I had a few rough years after we got to hang out in California, but I have a nice home in Tasmania now where you're very welcome to visit some day!

@jPV

Quote:
Is this about porting (you have access to the source code and other resources) or making a remake (with no source codes, graphics, mechanics, etc)?

This is really up to you, some people will use freely released source code, some will disassemble and reassemble games, and others will rip graphics and use them in some game-making software. The community and the judges will decide which games are the best ports/recreations.

@BigD

Quote:
This may risk copyright infringement? There is a place for porting of open sourced games but I didn’t think it was here! Inspiration yes, but reusing sprites etc is surely too far? May need clarification as to the rules!

I think as long as the games are free recreations and not earning any money, they tend to go under the radar (unless it's a Nintendo game). There have been plenty of unofficial ports to the Amiga and other classic systems over the last few years and the only one that was asked to be taken down was Mario for the C64. If reusing sprites and other assets doesn't feel right, you are welcome to modify or recreate them. I think as long as the final game isn't too far removed from the game that inspired it to be recognised, it should be well received.

@BSzili

Quote:
Finally a competition for ports! Too bad I started Blood too early for this, plus I already had JFBuild working way back, so it wouldn't be fair to do another Build game.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what others come up with.

I am so sorry the contest began after you started on your excellent port. I really hope you can find something else to enter, the main reason we chose "ports" as the subject for this year's contest was to repay the efforts of those who have been making all these unofficial ports, unable to sell them and be re-compensated for their efforts. The prizes are going to be amazing!

@tekmage

Quote:
Love the new logo! Looking forward to seeing the results of the comp this year.

Hi Bill, I'm glad you like the logo, Paul does great work and did it out of his love for the Amiga! And thank you again for your help with the competition in the past! I should be able to handle the postage of the prizes this year. Make sure you catch our live show with Amiga Bill and our judges where we'll announce the winners, we'll try to make it a fantastic Amiga awards show!

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

BigD 
Posted on 4-Aug-2021 22:04:28
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Cammy

It looks like other platforms are catching the bug! Zool is getting a remaster by the Sumo Digital Academy!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/04/amiga-classic-zool-is-getting-a-modern-day-remaster-this-month-15039106/

Cammy 
Posted on 6-Aug-2021 1:18:27
#12 ]

@BigD

Wow, ports of games to the Amiga, and now ports of Amiga games to other systems?! It really does seem like the season of ports. I wonder if they'll improve on the original much.

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

redfox 
Posted on 9-Aug-2021 7:13:51
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Cammy

Best wishes to you Cammy, and to a successful "AmiGameJam 2021" competition.

---
redfox

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 9-Aug-2021 9:07:24
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Cammy

aros on x86 is not Amiga NG.
Amiga ppc is the same Amiga as Commodore Amiga only better because faster.
Made two category:

- Amiga 500 0.5 MB CHIP 0.5 MB SLOW for people than want to code in good old style of Amiga 500 - hardware banging, may be floppy only, copper, blitter etc

- Amiga OS compatible for people than want to made software for anything better than Amiga 500.

Cammy 
Posted on 14-Aug-2021 6:15:02
#15 ]

@ppcamiga1

The two categories we have were decided on many years ago. The Classic Amiga category is for any game that runs on original Amiga hardware, using OCS, ECS or AGA, and Paula audio. It can include the need for a faster (680x0) CPU or more RAM. The Next Gen category, which has always been the most broad and received the least amount of entries, includes any Amiga-compatible system that uses RTG graphics and a faster CPU, so it includes a PC running Aros as well as official Next-Gen Amiga systems running OS4.x, and various PPC hardware running MorphOS, and now includes Vampire systems as well.

This year there are likely to be more entries than ever before, and we'll have an awards show with celebrity judges streamed online for everyone to join in and watch together. We would love to offer some incredible prizes, some of which have already been donated by our kind sponsors, but there are still more prizes that need to be paid for, as well as the shipping costs for when we send the prize packs out. If you would like to donate towards the prize pool, I have set up a GoFundMe page where we can publicly track donations. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far, and to anyone who would still like to help out!

https://gofund.me/4b1296fc

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

Cammy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2021 9:00:28
#16 ]

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for the delay between updates, but we finally have a big announcement to share with you all. I am very happy to announce that Glen Planamento from Glen's Retro Show (and a bunch of other Retro YouTube streams), arcade hardware developer and big time Amiga fan has agreed to be our third judge for AmiGameJam! As well as Glen joining the team, we've received some wonderful donations from the community to put towards the prize packs, and the main page for the jam has been updated to reflect these updates. I'd like to thank everyone who has entered the contest so far, and remind everyone that there's still plenty of time to enter, with just over three months left until entries close.

If you don't have time to enter yourself, please check out the current entries and be sure to check back towards the end of the contest so you can contribute to the community vote, which will be included in the tally along with the scores from our three celebrity judges. If you would like to donate towards the prize pool, there's still time for that too.

This looks like it's going to be the best year for the Amiga game-making contest so far, and I hope everyone enjoys playing the games and will tune in to the live-stream with AmigaBill in February when the winners will be announced.

https://www.glensretroshow.com/

https://itch.io/jam/amigamejam

Last edited by Cammy on 27-Oct-2021 at 09:03 AM.

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 28-Oct-2021 10:25:22
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Cammy

It was wrong decision but it is never too late to change this.
Made categories more adequate.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle