Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  2 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  28 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it game over for OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaOldskooler 
Re: Is it game over for OS4
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 19:41:20
#61 ]

@cgutjahr

What kind of consequences will A-Eon Technology not having a license for AmigaOS 4 have on the upcoming release of A1222? Do you think it will be postponed due to this?

I'm curious, since I've read that updates was made on the audio driver for A1222 on AmigaOS 4 a while back. Thought they had people working on adapting AmigaOS 4 to the A1222?

Profile     Report this post  
TRIPOS 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 20:12:41
#62 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
cgutjahr wrote:

Quote:

A-EON need to build a a review machine packed with software that shows it off to the best of it's ability and get it to Dan and others

This thread is about OS4. A-EON does currently not have an OS4 license (and stopped using the term "AmigaOne" years ago). Please stay on topic.

To stay in the realms of the topic, the fact that AeonKit has taken over the OS4 kernel and is developing their own Amiga OS replacement now is quite telling about just how much ”Game Over” they consider OS4 to be…

@AmigaOldskooler

Quote:

AmigaOldskooler wrote:
@cgutjahr

What kind of consequences will A-Eon Technology not having a license for AmigaOS 4 have on the upcoming release of A1222? Do you think it will be postponed due to this?

I'm curious, since I've read that updates was made on the audio driver for A1222 on AmigaOS 4 a while back. Thought they had people working on adapting AmigaOS 4 to the A1222?

It quite recently became public knowledge that they are developing their own OS. The working name seems to be “System 54”, but what it will be called when it’s finally finished (if ithat ever happens) remains to be seen.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44131&forum=33&viewmode=flat&order=0#844427

Edit:
In this context it’s also interesting to note that amigakit.com has removed OS4 from the store and deleted Hyperion from the manufacturer list together with all associated products, including everything who’s name was “granted” by alleged Hyperion controlled trademarks, including AmigaOne and AmigaOS.

Last edited by TRIPOS on 26-Sep-2021 at 10:26 PM.

number6 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 20:15:25
#63 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaOldskooler

I would guess no effect, since Acube is involved with A1222.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Sep-2021 16:16:51
#64 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
including everything who’s name was “granted” by alleged Hyperion controlled trademarks, including AmigaOne and AmigaOS.

But this can also be way to protect the settlement agreement, the partners Eyetech and Hyperion was greeted the use, of the brand AmigaONE, settlement does not say trademarks was transferred, nor does it say anything about sublicensing brands, or assuming any partner can use it. Acube-system made right choice, naming the computer sam440/sam460. If it’s called AEON A1222 or AmigaONE A1222 makes no different to the customer anyway.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Sep-2021 at 04:19 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Sep-2021 19:08:49
#65 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

ah FFS first they took AmigaONE and now even AmigaOS.....

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

TRIPOS 
Posted on 27-Sep-2021 21:13:00
#66 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

”AmigaOne” was always a name for *systems*, it was never used for motherboards.

Quote:
If it’s called AEON A1222 or AmigaONE A1222 makes no different to the customer anyway.

You, one of the most blind, rabid Amiga trademark followers suddenly try to convince us that the name ”Amiga” doesn’t matter to you?!

Rob 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 0:31:29
#67 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
”AmigaOne” was always a name for *systems*, it was never used for motherboards.

It would seem the name has been interchangeable between motherboards and systems since the beginning.

The aborted AmigaOne 1200 was supposed to be a board you plugged into your A1200.

https://amigaone.wordpress.com/amigaone-nowe-amigi/amigaone-1200/

Check the Eyetech advert on page 13 below.

https://www.totalamiga.org/pdf/totalamiga_16.pdf

The A-EON X1000 also has AmigaOne X1000 silkscreened on the motherboard.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MtFmiTxR9Jw/VTI8ZP_ZXHI/AAAAAAAAMkc/A3Wz2luvUhA/s1600/IMG_7008.JPG

redfox 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 2:17:06
#68 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
AmigaOne” was always a name for *systems*, it was never used for motherboards.

Perhaps that was the original intention, however, some of us purchased motherboards rather than complete systems.

Near the end of 2004, I purchased an Eyetech Micro-AmigaOne (AKA MicroA1-C) motherboard from a company called Livewire based in eastern Canada. The MicroA1 motherboard came bundled with a CD containing AmigaOS 4.0 Developer Pre-release Update 1. I purchased an Antec Minuet case and other components locally in my own city, and assembled the system myself.

---
redfox

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 9:53:09
#69 ]

@number6

Quote:
I would guess no effect, since Acube is involved with A1222.

Thanks for the info, number6!

AmiWest is coming up in October, so hopefully we'll get some fresh news concerning the A1222. If there is something the AmigaOS 4.x platform needs right now, it is some new and available hardware.

Last edited by AmigaOldskooler on 28-Sep-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Rose 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 9:57:59
#70 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaOldskooler

In true A-eon tradition Trevor will tell that people should buy next Amiga Future to get more info.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 10:03:19
#71 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:
It quite recently became public knowledge that they are developing their own OS. The working name seems to be “System 54”, but what it will be called when it’s finally finished (if ithat ever happens) remains to be seen.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44131&forum=33&viewmode=flat&order=0#844427

Edit:
In this context it’s also interesting to note that amigakit.com has removed OS4 from the store and deleted Hyperion from the manufacturer list together with all associated products, including everything who’s name was “granted” by alleged Hyperion controlled trademarks, including AmigaOne and AmigaOS.

Hi TRIPOS and thanks for the news about this. There is certainly a lot going on "behind the curtains" these days, that is for sure. Do you think they will make a statement concerning this in the near future, perhaps in connection with the A1222 release?

Last edited by AmigaOldskooler on 28-Sep-2021 at 10:05 AM.

FairBoy 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 11:33:40
#72 ]

@AmigaOldskooler

In all fairness, what TRIPOS describes as "public knowledge" is just a groundless rumor created and spread by amiga-news. In their article they interpreted quite a lot and quite too much into two leaked aeon mailing list screenshots. It should also be noted that TRIPOS gave you a link to a comment by himself, linking to another comment by himself, which contain nothing but speculations.
The truth is that from all we know aeon is working on some sort of new installation procedure for its Enhancer package which of course requires AOS4. All in all this is not even near a distribution, let alone an own OS.
Don't believe every crap you find on the internet.

klx300r 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 15:27:11
#73 ]
Elite Member

@FairBoy

of course this is true and the exact reason why we need open and regular communication from A-Eon...yes I know the legal mess with Hyperion and Cloanto/ Amiga Corporation limits what can be said but still regular communication with your clients is crucial in any business or even hobby

Last edited by klx300r on 28-Sep-2021 at 03:27 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

bison 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 17:09:47
#74 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaOldskooler

There will almost certainly be an update on the A1222 at AmiWest, but probably nothing substantial. If A-EON had good news, they wouldn't be sitting on it.

Cheese 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 18:42:47
#75 ]

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 19:23:01
#76 ]

@bison
Quote:
If A-EON had good news, they wouldn't be sitting on it.

I can't find any information about A1222 on A-EON website. What have they to do with it?

http://www.a-eon.com/

number6 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 19:42:25
#77 ]
Elite Member

@AmeegaGuy

http://www.a1222plus.com/

SHADES 
Posted on 28-Sep-2021 22:39:38
#78 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

It's not over but the "model" needs to change.
I still use 3.x to this day, because I like it but "hell" is it ever limited!!.

Buy-In costs $$$ it's always $ and unless you run emulation, it's not a fun hobby to pay that much for so little.

Multi-core support is now required instead of a nice to have. (This has been the case for many years already, legacy can be sandboxed if there is no other option.)

Some, any support for multi-user account holding. Just needs to happen already.

But seriously, all things aside, you want more people, buy-in cost has got to change or be stuck with what you have. It won't grow.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 29-Sep-2021 8:54:28
#79 ]
Cult Member

@Cheese

As long as nothing better don't exist,
Amiga Os 4.1 with MMU on uae will be still used.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Sep-2021 17:26:42
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
The problem with PowerPC is balkanization when there's an IBM Power 9 Raptor BlackBird (motherboard with PCIe version 4.0) bundle and AmigaOS 4.1 doesn't run on it.

Even Power9 people think the X5000 is a joke. I've even pointed out how this board should be a target. After all, the X1000 was a remake of the Electra board. Which was exacty like the ACK board announced before it. Or years before the X1000 anyway. But I'm told there's also thousands of dollars to port OS4 to another board. So apparently it's cheaper to design a board then get OS4 working on it. Like the A1222.

Quote:
In the X86 PC world, when a user buys new hardware, Windows 7/10 doesn't need to be modified for a specific CPU and HAL e.g.

X86 must be a lot better at backwards compatibility. Plust they have the money and resources to retrofit modern features onto an ancient design.

But I think this is a PPC thing. Even Apples needed the specific rescue CD or it crashed. Poor codng there. PPC chips, by design or purposely, are not compatible with each other and there are too many versions in a small market. The supervisor codes all differ. A G3/G4 Linux kernel will crash on a PA6T and a Sam440. Even the 68K series wasn't transparently upward compatible but at least one AmigaOS version was optimised to for all CPUs and in the least ran on them all.

Quote:
Closed source software doesn't survive on kit-bashed PowerPC extensions and changes in the supervisor instruction set with dead ends. The requirement for AmigaOS 4.1 OEM to be specifically modified for A1222 was comical.

It needed to be. It was the worse CPU they could pick. No standard FPU and only hybrid SPE taking up AltiVec space. In some ways it would be like an Amiga with a ColdFire CPU with a 68K that needed to be patched heavily to run on it and also program to be run patched. Except the A1222 CPU is at least binary compatible with most integer user code. Wait its just like the ColdFire idea!

Quote:
Raptor BlackBird motherboard is not priced competitively when compared to ASUS ROG Strix X570 motherboard (with PCIe version 4.0 and ECC memory support).

Is there any reason why it would compete? It's still a relative of the PowerPC family. And in lower production numbers I don't think it could ever compete.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle