Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  6 mins ago
 A1200:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  36 mins ago
 zipper:  37 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Expanding micro-A1 memory
Register To Post

PosterThread
thinkchip 
Expanding micro-A1 memory
Posted on 9-Oct-2021 12:40:48
#1 ]

I don't know if this has been discussed before. If it has it was probably several years ago. My micro came with 256 MB's memory installed. I ordered a 512-MB RAM module from ebay. It is commonly described as being compatible with various printers. Anyway, it fits. I installed it and when booting my micro would get to the AmigaOS 4.1 Final edition logo and freeze. I reverted the computer to the basic AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition from the CD and it boots up and runs without problem. The freezing problem starts when I install Update 1. I'm wondering if anybody knows what there is about Update 1 that would cause my micro to have problems with expanded memory.

I tried disabling all the programs in startup prefs and it doesn't make any difference.

It runs when I boot with the option to boot without the startup-sequence. It boots to the shell and then I type "LoadWB". That's pretty useless of course.

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Re: Expanding micro-A1 memory
Posted on 9-Oct-2021 14:39:11
#2 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

You can use “set echo on” and “execute s:startup-sequence” and see where it freezes?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 9-Oct-2021 18:25:31
#3 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

The Eyetech computers are extremely picky about ram,
There use list of compatible hardware at intuitionbase.com

http://intuitionbase.com/comphard.php

but now looks there are nothing in the database.

I guess you need to google and see what you find.

I remember swapping memory module with a friend, because RAM he had did not work in AmigaONE-SE but worked fine in my AmigaONE-XE.

sundown 
Posted on 9-Oct-2021 19:06:54
#4 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

As said, the Micro was very picky with memory, if it works with the 256M module, then the only fix is to find a 512M module it likes. I did buy a tested 512M module from Software Hut long ago, but probable not an option now. The module was a Kingston KTM-TP133/512, just remember is was pretested in a Micro.

thinkchip 
Posted on 9-Oct-2021 21:25:52
#5 ]

I have the right solution for the wrong problem. I remember some discussion about being unable to boot from a SFS/0x partition. My boot partition was an SFS/02 partition. I reformatted it as a DOS/07 partition and reinstalled. It is working now with Update 2 installed. The question is, why could it boot with 256-MB RAM. Anyway, I'm sorry, the problem appears to be fixed.

I'm not so sure about the "fussy" part. I just grabbed a random RAM module that looked like it would fit.

Can somebody clarify the situation with the SFS/x disk operating system?

Incidentally, there are 1-MB RAM modules that might fit, but they are extremely expensive (compared to other RAM). They are around $300. I don't need one that bad.

Last edited by thinkchip on 09-Oct-2021 at 09:33 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 10-Oct-2021 4:04:15
#6 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

My SYS: partition is SFS/00

MicroA1 with 256 MB RAM
AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 (hotfix)

I was told that we could not boot from a SFS/02 partition, although, apparently, some people were able to do so.

---
redfox

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Oct-2021 15:53:52
#7 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Whaaaat. So new ram can work with the old OS4? And it freezes because of SFS/2? That's whack. Where is the unsupported filesystem error?

I was going to suggest to try memtester on OS4 depot or my Linux installer CD as Linux kernel is good for catching bad ram.

I know JXFS support was pulled. But I didn't know SFS64 was. And ouch, I wouldn't have replaced SFS/2 with FFS. Fine for one WB but that's where I draw the line. Most of my partitions on the X1000 would be in SFS. I wasn't really tempted to use SFS/2 as I didn't know of any 64 bit sized files I would be storing there. And the big one for me is there are no recovery tools. Just like JXFS that went belly up once.

Kotler 
Posted on 10-Oct-2021 16:17:35
#8 ]

@thinkchip

I have similar experience. Installed 512MB RAM but noticed I get a crash with OS 4.1. But Amigaos 4.0 works (actuslly the Developer Pre-Release)

thinkchip 
Posted on 11-Oct-2021 13:44:05
#9 ]

@Hypex

There is a version of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition specifically for micros. There aren't a lot of disk operating systems available with it. There is only the old DOS/0x and SFS/0x. There might be others available somewhere. That's why I used DOS/07. It might be slow but I can't tell because the micro is slow anyway. I also have an X5000 that is really nice, but debug doesn't work on it. Anyway the 512-MB ram expansion is working fine.

I do my heavy-duty debugging with MS Visual C++ anyway. I use Amiga debug to tweak the Amiga version.

Last edited by thinkchip on 11-Oct-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Oct-2021 16:51:21
#10 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

I wasn't aware they had a micro edition. I do recall some years back they removed the floppy driver from the A1 Kickstart on the install CD because it crashed on the micro. It loads fine from Devs but I was wondering after some "upgrade" why suddenly the floppy driver was missing and I got complaints at boot up.

They must have added a micro edition to FE but I thought this would increase the cost. Surely they could check UBoot variables or the mac address range to determine it's a micro? Usually the micro is bundled with the A1 platform so I don't know what is different on the CD.

Only having DOS and SFS is somewhat normal. The only exception is having NGFS as an extra. To which the X5000 is for some reason the only machine that is supported. On my XE I used DOS7 as my Workbench, setting up 2048 size blocks and putting the cache commands in my startup to get the best performance. But on all my other volumes put on SFS. I had the Si IDE card a while later so wanted the best out the DMA performance. And FFS is too slow at writing lots of files.

But I wonder how you debug in Visual C++? I read about people using it to test code for another environment. But I don't just don't understand how it could debug scripts or code that arent in BATCH, Windows or x86. By the sounds of it must have some kind of VM. But someone would still need to wriite the VM so such an advanced feature wouldn't help unless someone coded it first!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle