Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

MickJT,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  39 secs ago
 MickJT:  3 mins ago
 A1200:  27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  40 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 1 min ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Blizzard 1260 and OS 3.2 - won't boot unless setpatch is run with nocache
Register To Post

PosterThread
tekmage 
Blizzard 1260 and OS 3.2 - won't boot unless setpatch is run with nocache
Posted on 14-Oct-2021 4:06:20
#1 ]

Hi All,

I've been working on my Amiga 1200 to get ready for AmiWest and I've found a problem. The machine has a Blizzard 1260 from Phase 5. When I first installed OS 3.2 I used the MMUlibs included with the distribution. I bounced the card between UAE and the physical system and found the CF would boot UAE no problem, but commands like "assign" would crash on the A1200. Using the, and amazing trace startup, I found if I did not run "setpatch" I could get the machine to boot. Eventually, I found if I used "setpatch nocache" the machine would boot and operate normally.

Recently I've been running sysinfo4 and found the performance was below what I expected. I found I could enable "dcache" and get the performance in line with what I thought it should be. Problem is any app I run after I enable datacache with CPU or via sysinfo4 crashes again. If I leave datacache off apps run fine, but slower.

In tackling this problem I've read the Os 3.2 CPU FAQ, done searching, and ended up installing nearly every 68060 lib I could find, currently running 46.15 from 10/05/01. I've also removed the MMULibs from libs:. The system was installed from the OS3.2 CD with the MaxXfer set to 0x1fe00.

The machine has a few items in it currently: Indivision MK2, Fast-ATA MK V, and rapidroad.

Wanted to share this situation to see if anyone had thoughts on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Profile     Report this post  
Wizor 
Re: Blizzard 1260 and OS 3.2 - won't boot unless setpatch is run with nocache
Posted on 16-Oct-2021 11:02:52
#2 ]

@tekmage

Hello, kinda wanted to say something here since i have a A1200 and Blizzard 060 (although towered system) and i also recently updated to OS3.2.
I did the install "the hard way" and just updated my existing system with new files manually and to get the OS3.2 kickstart installed i dissected it with Remus and then let BlizKick do its magic with large enough EXTRESBUF.
So i kept my old startup-sequence too which is heavily modified (for my system) and works well.

In the s-s after Blizkick, PatchControl and StackAttack i then run
C:SetPatch QUIET NODRIVELEDPATCH
and after that some normal stuff like env-handler,CopyMemAIO and then comes assigns etc.

Cpu060 (rom phase5 package) informs that i do have caches enabled after booting.
System: 68060MC Mask 0-1f43G,2f43G-0g65V Revision 1
Settings:
(INST: Cache Burst) (DATA: Cache Burst) (BRANCH: Cache)
(Superscalar) (WriteBuffer) (Store/Load Bypass disabled)

Register: CACR=$A0808000 PCR=$04300121 BUSCR=$00000000

Using newer mmulibs so there's no harm at least from that compared to your system.
mmu.library 46.19 (2020-07-04)
68060.library 46.4 (2018-05-30)

Thinking of what to suggest, but i think i'd need more information. Guessing you have the kickstart installed straight to the motherboard? It will speed up things considerably if you'd use Blizkick to relocate rom to fastram.
What kind of performance you get now with Sysinfo? Was it worse with newer mmulibs?

I hope we can start sorting this out from here :)

OneTimer1 
Re: Blizzard 1260 and OS 3.2 - won't boot unless setpatch is run with nocache
Posted on 16-Oct-2021 19:28:32
#3 ]
Cult Member

@tekmage

Quote:

I found if I did not run "setpatch" I could get the machine to boot. Eventually, I found if I used "setpatch nocache" the machine would boot and operate normally.

1st.

Always install the right libraries and use setpatch on 68040 or 68060 systems, without is the 1260
could only use its internal very basic 680xx emualtion.

2nd.

Running the system without caches is reducing the performance, maybe you are using the wrong software and maybe you should avoid this AOS3.2 thing.

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 16-Oct-2021 at 07:32 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle