Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 146 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  34 mins ago
 djnick:  54 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What would be better: AmigaOS on a modern ISA, or AROS with a lot of apps?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Poll : What would be better: AmigaOS on a modern ISA, or AROS with a lot of apps?
AmigaOS on a modern ISA
AROS with a lot of apps
Pancakes

PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: What would be better: AmigaOS on a modern ISA, or AROS with a lot of apps?
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 18:47:07
#41 ]
Elite Member

@deadwood

future is safe ;)

Profile     Report this post  
davidf215 
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 19:00:54
#42 ]

Quote:

bison wrote:
What would be better: AmigaOS on a modern ISA, or AROS with a lot of apps?

Trick question. Depends upon which platform would show the most promise of users actually using the apps and perhaps even making some money for developers. Maybe this should be the next poll.

matthey 
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 20:16:02
#43 ]
Elite Member

terminills Quote:

actually I care and I'm one of the largest financial supporters of AROS over the years. However I won't be supporting it any longer due to the lack of 64 bit effort.

Didn't AROS x86-64 redefine all AmigaOS structures with 64 bit pointers making it a 64 bit OS or are you unhappy that AROS x86-64 has not become more popular?

davidf215 Quote:

Trick question. Depends upon which platform would show the most promise of users actually using the apps and perhaps even making some money for developers. Maybe this should be the next poll.

The ISA with the most "promise of users" for the Amiga is the 68k ISA despite efforts to convert users to other ISAs as the 68k AmigaOS 3 popularity demonstrates. Many, if not most, Amiga like OSs on other ISAs are using emulation of the 68k ISA because of its importance for compatibility of existing programs (not just apps but games too). Converting Amiga like OSs to other ISAs only divides the number of Amiga users between incompatible ISAs and has largely failed so far. It is possible to have the best of a standard Amiga with backward compatibility, a unified community and using a modern ISA with a modernized 68k64 ISA and modernized Amiga chipset on mass produced and affordable Amiga hardware. The grass was greener on the other side of the fence only after years of neglect of the fields on the Amiga side of the fence by CBM and Motorola. Amiga users can jump fences to different fields but no longer be united or they can organically develop their fields and bring users back home.

terminills 
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 20:57:27
#44 ]
AROS Core Developer

@matthey

Nope I don't care about popularity as it was my hobby and I supported it accordingly. I don't have any interest in 68K nor BE systems etc. What I do care about is 64Bit doesn't boot on most native systems due to errors in ACPI, MSI-Interupts, USB and the filesystem-handler. Until those are fixed it's limited to booting on virtual machines which is well pointless for me so again I support accordingly.

Last edited by terminills on 01-Dec-2021 at 09:01 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

matthey 
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 21:30:10
#45 ]
Elite Member

terminills Quote:

Nope I don't care about popularity as it was my hobby and I supported it accordingly. I don't have any interest in 68K nor BE systems etc. What I do care about is 64Bit doesn't boot on most native systems due to errors in ACPI, MSI-Interupts, USB and the filesystem-handler. Until those are fixed it's limited to booting on virtual machines which is well pointless for me so again I support accordingly.

Hardware configuration and interrupts have always been more difficult (plug and pray) on x86(-64) hardware. Aren't those newer x86-64 hardware issues rather than 64 bit specific issues? Have you tried to fix the problems yourself as an AROS developer?

terminills 
Posted on 1-Dec-2021 23:52:30
#46 ]
AROS Core Developer

@matthey

I'm not a developer I'm a sponsor. and for the last decade the #1 financial one. Lets call a spade a spade. The vampire group hasn't come close to 1/20th of what I've donated/sponsored. So my answer is simple I've lost interest and am walking away. I don't even care if FW gets finished anymore tbh.

Last edited by terminills on 02-Dec-2021 at 02:20 AM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

bhabbott 
Posted on 2-Dec-2021 0:13:15
#47 ]

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
I don't have any interest in 68K nor BE systems etc. What I do care about is 64Bit doesn't boot on most native systems due to errors in ACPI, MSI-Interupts, USB and the filesystem-handler.
What a mess the PC has become.

I only own one 64 bit PC and it is dedicated to watching TV programs. But I have several PCs that are essentially worthless now because they won't run 64 bit programs. Perhaps I should put AROS on them, then I can be using 'Amiga' OS even more!

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Dec-2021 1:09:19
#48 ]
Elite Member

Given the choices, despite any other allegiance, my vote would be AROS. And that is for practical reasons. AROS is portable but AmigaOS is not very.

If we take OS4 as example since it is more portable, even though OS3 would also fit, you'd end up with a stripped AmigaOS that was modified so much to the point it could even compile on x86. Assuming you are targeting x64, you'd have a stripped down AmigaOS that runs no 68k apps, doesn't have ARexx or any other feature where some component is still 68k. Runs single threaded in 32 bit and limited to 2GB. And only older browsers with crippled HTML support would run in it. It would be crap!

But that's just my take on it. AmigaOS would need to rebuilt from the ground up. Which is similar to what the AROS guys did but with different authors and no source code to work off.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle