Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  14 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  42 mins ago
 retrofaza:  43 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs ago
 vox:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Time for Christmas Avatars!
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Time for Christmas Avatars!
Posted on 2-Dec-2021 22:39:40
#1 ]
Elite Member

It's strange that this hasn't been done yet on 2nd December 2021. But hey it's time for Christmas Avatars!!!

Get changing your cossies!!

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: Time for Christmas Avatars!
Posted on 2-Dec-2021 23:41:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Obviously Cammy, NutsAboutAmiga and a few others didn't need reminding

Last edited by BigD on 02-Dec-2021 at 11:44 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 3-Dec-2021 13:13:12
#3 ]
Elite Member

indeed it is

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

TiredofLife 
Posted on 3-Dec-2021 13:26:06
#4 ]

@BigD

Thought i'd get into the spirit.
Well of Xmas past anyway.

Cheers

OldFart 
Posted on 4-Dec-2021 12:27:26
#5 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@BigD

Well, maybe your queste is feasible in the rest of the Christian world in upkeeping pagan rituals, here in The Netherlands, and maybe Flanders in Belgium and Ostfriesland in northern Germany, we first celebrate the birthday of Saint Nicolas, bishop of Myra in nowadays Turkey, which is held on December 6th. In the evening of December 5th Sinterklaas (or Saint Nicolas) comes around on his white horse, accompanied by black assistants, which represent the black childslaves he bought free from their masters. Some of them stayed with him for the rest of their life.
It's a children's party allover.
When he 'leaves the country' again (silently, no fanfare), only THEN we sllloooowwwwllllyyy get into the Christmasspirit, but in a more peacefull and contemplative way, to celebrate the turning of the season and return of the light (pagan ritual) by placing a firtree in the house with a wee bit of ornamentation. The firtree is choosen, together with holly with its decorative red berries, as their year round green appearence symbolises ongoing fertility.
The firtree is thrown out no sooner then January 6, when, in keeping with true R.C. traditions, the Three Kings are said to have found the newborn king.

So from a Dutch and surrounding lowlands PoV, you just have to wait a couple of days, but don't expect much from me in this aspect.

OldFart

BigD 
Posted on 4-Dec-2021 13:04:01
#6 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Sorry, I respect your right to acknowledge and get excited about whatever crusty old saints take your fancy but it's advent first and foremost right now or if your an atheist/an agnostic it's the materialistic festival of "Spend what you don't have!"

Advent is a countdown to Christ-mas; when we celebrate Jesus' birthday.

If you want to share about a feast recognising the birth of Santa and his nemesis Krampus plus the lovable Black Pete slave boys then by all means do it on your own time. However, a placecard avatar celebrating all that might make the mind boggle!

Or maybe wait for the obligatory Satalunia thread and stick notifications of the birthdays of religious saints now owned by the Coca Cola Corporation on that one instead!

I'm looking forward to seeing you Christmas avatar when you're ready and the religious fluff is out of way!

But seriously who cares about religion? Not me. It's a birthday party, simple as that. Jesus came into the world to give us hope through His death for our sins on the cross and by then defeating death and securing life eternal for His followers through His resurrection three days later. We just acknowledge...

1) He loved us (even when we were unlovable)
2) We have sinned
3) He died for us
4) We need to decide to live for God

... and if you substitute 'me' and 'I' for 'us' and 'we' and you put your hands together, close your eyes and proclaim those 4 Points in a prayer (and with the Holy Spirit's help try and live out that truth every day) then you are a Christian!

You can then properly celebrate Christmas whether you acknowledge Saint Nicholas' birthday, have a Christmas tree of eat too much figgy pudding! All the rest of 'the season' is just a little bit superficial however much fun it may be IMHO.

Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 4-Dec-2021 14:22:18
#7 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:

So from a Dutch and surrounding lowlands PoV, you just have to wait a couple of days, but don't expect much from me in this aspect.
OldFart

As I am (originally) from a surrounding "lowland" (D-Westmünsterland, 40km to NL-Enschede) I partly agree. Albeit the meaning of St. Nicolas seems to get lower and lower during the years.
But when I was a child Nicolas was kind of "little christmas" and very present in school and community life. Today its meaning became rather little (I think it lostmost of its meaning in the 90ies).

And there are plenty little rites during advent that aren't too popular anymore - today is St Barbara: a day where you have to cut a few cherry branches (sprays?, put them into water to blossom up around christmas. Every member of the household one branch, equipped with a name tag, whose branch blooms up first "wins".

Even though I am a firm and convinced Atheist I still keep some of the traditions that are fading into oblivion. And while I don't like the _story_ of Barbara (but the cherry rite!), Nicholas seems to have been a person that was not only talking but also did good things (not the "wonders"/edifying storys, but it is known he used his treasure to help the weakest) - a good guy, worth celebrating!

Hence: Fijne Sinterklaas!

OldFart 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 12:30:29
#8 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@BigD

Quote:
If you want to share about a feast recognising the birth of Santa and his nemesis Krampus plus the lovable Black Pete slave boys then by all means do it on your own time.
Contrary to popular believe and by misconception it is widely believed Sint Nicolas is assisted by slaves or black slave boys. It is historically recorded that Nicolas, bishop of Myra, bought (mostly black or dark skinned) slaveboys free FROM their slavemasters and returned them immediately to freedom. Some of them spent the rest of their lives as free men to serve Nicolas.

But have you ever wondered where the name Santaclaus comes from? It's directly derived from the Dutch Sinterklaas (it sounds quite simmilar). The funny thing is the firts part of the name: Santa. This denotes a feminine entity in Spanish, although Santaclaus is some fatbellied, rubberbooted male idiot coming with a sleigh pulled by a couple of red nosed reindeer from the sky.
By all means feel free in what you believe and stand for.
Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing you Christmas avatar when you're ready...
As I already pointed out: don't expect much from me in that realm!

I'm brought up in the Roman-Catholic tradition, but halfway the '70s I turned to agnostism regarding religion. I'm getting closer to paganism by the day as it is closer to nature and puts respect where respect is due IMHO.

OldFart

TiredofLife 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 15:00:40
#9 ]

@OldFart

In that case, you might get some inspiration for a pagan Yule avatar here.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/pagan_yule_clothing

https://www.etsy.com/market/winter_hat_pagan

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/pagan-masculine-newgods-cernunnos-hornedgod--77616793563222963/

Cheers

Last edited by TiredofLife on 05-Dec-2021 at 03:04 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 18:08:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife/Old Fart

For modern paganism/idolatry try this as an avatar!

...you'll find no fulfilment in any of them and if we all accepted Jesus' gift of grace at face value we could reject all these idols and false gods and save ourselves a lot of grief and wasted years!

Last edited by BigD on 05-Dec-2021 at 06:13 PM.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 22:37:45
#11 ]

@BigD

Not worshipping the dollar myself.
All hail the mighty £.

Cheers

matthey 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 22:56:02
#12 ]

BigD Quote:

Advent is a countdown to Christ-mas; when we celebrate Jesus' birthday.

I believe you have it backwards. Advent is a countdown from after Yahushua's birthday to after His conception. I believe the timing aligns with Yahushua being conceived during the festival of Hanukkah and born during the festival of Sukkot (festival of Tabernacles). Hannukkah literally means “to initiate or to begin” (life begins at conception and not at birth) and the festival of Tabernacles commemorates Him dwelling with us, which became not just symbolic with His birth (similar to the unblemished physical Lamb, Yahushua, sacrificed before Passover at the designated time for the sacrifice of the symbolic lambs). Our Messianic Jewish Christian friends have not forgotten what we never learned.

http://www.remnant.net/sukkot_y.htm

2021 Sukkot sunset, 20 September to nightfall, 27 September (28 September outside of Israel)
2021 Hanukkah sunset, 28 November to nightfall, 6 December

2021 Advent begins on Sunday, November 28th, and ends on Friday, December 24

Please read the link above carefully if you wish to increase your understanding. There has been way too much cancel culture and distortions of history lately. How Jewish Jews outnumber Messianic Jews I'll never understand with such amazing information out there but then most Christians miss this knowledge too. Happy Hanukkah and may we receive another blessed beginning.

Last edited by matthey on 08-Jan-2022 at 01:06 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 05-Dec-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 5-Dec-2021 23:23:04
#13 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

When church advertises this way, I kinda want to know more about that Satan guy....

g01df1sh 
Posted on 6-Dec-2021 0:01:39
#14 ]

Hi

Tried changing mine wont accept it. I have resized it to 105 x 120 ?

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

g01df1sh 
Posted on 6-Dec-2021 0:06:20
#15 ]

@g01df1sh

Needed to be gif

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

BigD 
Posted on 6-Dec-2021 1:17:25
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

That's an interesting quote. I agree that Satan prefers people not to acknowledge the existence of hell or damnation but probably it fuels his ego when people say that hell has the best music (in reality it's an eternity of isolation from everything good so that would include music).

At first I didn't know what the second comment was getting at as I believe that self esteem is important for all humans as we are valued and made in God's image. I then thought it was a badly communicated attempt to point out that God has a plan for our lives and it goes better for us if we acknowledge his plans and don't try and do things our way!

However, "believe in yourself" is a common slogan for self esteem and is essential for sport and healthy competition of all types. I don't know much about Matt Smethurst but maybe he's part of the "let go and let God" brigade or was never into competitive sport. I wouldn't have phrased it like that.

... I think a healthier attitude for a Christian sportsman or anyone tackling a challenge would be prepare to succeed, believe you can succeed even against all the odds and if you are meant to overcome despite being at a disadvantage God can help you make up the difference if necessary. However, if you win you give glory to God not yourself. Pride comes before the fall. On reflection, I think he's getting at that... but phrased it very badly!

Last edited by BigD on 06-Dec-2021 at 01:19 AM.

bison 
Posted on 6-Dec-2021 4:43:59
#17 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Nice avatar.

bison 
Posted on 6-Dec-2021 4:45:42
#18 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
in reality it's an eternity of isolation from everything good so that would include music

No Strats in hell. I don't think I could bear that.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle