Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 41 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 9 mins ago
 billt:  6 hrs 17 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 30 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 53 mins ago
 matthey:  7 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Should I sell my AmigaONE X1000?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Poll : Should I sell my X1000?
Yes
No
Why ask us, only you know
Pancakes

PosterThread
amigang 
Should I sell my AmigaONE X1000?
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 21:44:31
#1 ]
Elite Member

So today, I had another crash on my AmigaONE X1000 it been having a issue on and off for the last few years really, I think either there a big problem with the motherboard itself, or just my SATA cables / Hard drives which seems to be common issue on the X1000.

Mainly due to this issue my time has been less and less on the X1000, spend more and more of my free time on emulation platforms.

I say a good 90% of my time with X1000 this year has been just trying to fix an issue or hard crash has lost me some work and so I leave it for the night in frustration and end up not really going back to it, just to spend another afternoon to try and fix the issue.

It gotten to a point now where, I dont know weather or not to sell it. I thought Id keep the machine to my dying day when I first got it, but as its stands now I just has started using less and less, mainly due to these issue.

I think I am likely going to give it one last go, maybe replace the hard drive and cables, start fresh and hope that it fixs it, if not, Im really not sure if I will keep it and if anyone would want a possible faulty X1000, not to sure how much it cost to get repaired, if it can be, I guess I just feel frustrated with the system and the platform as a whole.

PPC future, I just don't see one any more, A-EON creating it own OS4, I understand why but cant help but feel it will divide up the market again maybe.

Plus I keep thinking the founds from X1000 sales I could put into maybe making Amiga Fantasy case/computer, likely modding an A1200.net case and with a Pi inside

Anyway what do you guys feel I should do.

Last edited by amigang on 11-Dec-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OneTimer1 
Re: Should I sell my AmigaONE X1000?
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 22:04:02
#2 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

only you know, stop when it doesn't make you happy any more

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 11-Dec-2021 at 10:05 PM.

bennymee 
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 22:32:40
#3 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Only you can decide, but you can't sell a machine in this state. So I would check it first by a repairman. Or exchance only the board wit a Amiga-friend to see if that removes all the errors.

Last edited by bennymee on 11-Dec-2021 at 10:34 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 23:04:02
#4 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:
only you know, stop when it doesn't make you happy any more

When it’s all working, I still have fun, when it’s not I don’t. More recently its been in the not camp which is why I’m in a weird place with os4 market. Add to that I think of the future of the platform and I think is it worth spending loads of money getting this working or would I be better off investing in build my own modded idea of a next gen Amiga. But then I still like os4 over most other options just a shame it’s stuck on ppc in my mind.

kolla 
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 23:45:48
#5 ]
Elite Member

Who would buy it?

eliyahu 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 0:46:31
#6 ]

@amigang

In the many years of X5000 ownership I've had these types of issues twice. Once it turned out one of the DIMMs was showing DRAM errors, causing crashes. The other time it was, of all things, the power supply which went at the same time as my graphics card. It tooks days to figure out what was happening, and I hated it -- but once solved, all was back to normal, nice and stable.

As for the situation with A-EON and Hyperion and lawsuits, lack of development, poor morale, etc., that I can't help. A-EON refuses to recognize what users actually want -- which wouldn't be so bad, except that they effectively control most of the developer community. Hyperion controls nothing at all, no real leadership, and the damned lawsuit....

Anyway -- my advice is to really think about what makes you happy about the hobby. If the X1000 is a source of joy (or a potential one), keep it. If the money made from reselling it will let you purchase something that is, sell it.

Personally I'd hold on to it, but that's just me. Plus I always enjoy your Youtube videos.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 0:48:36
#7 ]

@amigang

PS -- there are a few active usergroups in the UK, including several with the occasional show where AmigaKit attends. Maybe bring your X1000 to one of the gatherings and see if folks want to try a debug session? We do that at AmiWest every year.

-- eliyahu

Rob 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 3:34:23
#8 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

If you replace the hard drive and cable try installing Linux first so you can run some soak tests and so on to help determine if there is a hardware problem or not. In fact if you have all your important data backed up already try it with the existing drive and cable.

amigang 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 7:59:32
#9 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
occasional show where AmigaKit attends

Actually that was my plan to maybe bring it to an Amiga event where someone could help, but this dam virus keeps getting in the way, hopefully next year more events will happen.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 9:16:49
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

No one can force you to own a X1000, nor should keep it, if does not interest you, I depends on anyone making interesting fun stuff, it is hobby for everyone here, if you want something, my is advice is to make it yourself.

My experience with X1000, is that when there is issues its most of, problems with OS installation or updates, not often have run into hardware issues, but when I do it is the PSU, I have also replaced backup battery once, if your trying to boot and get message no RAM, it’s the backup battery.

A few times, I had to reinstall the system from ground up, to make it stable.

Anyway It’s wary hard to, help anyone if they does not provide crash-logs, when system freeze you can get logs, from rs232 port, not every X1000 was equipped with one. But connecting one should not be too hard, to do, you can use putty on PC, to see what is going on..

What many have noticed is clash between components from AEON and Hyperion, they do not always work in harmony.

As developer I do not wont beta stuff from AEON to crash or bring down my system, or stuff can be issue running in the background, the first thing I do is un-install XDock, Screen Savers, and Candy, I also do not install the AK DataTypes from AEON, I keep the original from Hyperion. They are tested and work. I don’t run lot of complicated scripts, so kept the replaced commands from AEON.

I keep my self-update on what is going on Amigans.net, as most developers and beta testers hang out there.

One thing to keep in mind AEON stuff depends on AEON Reaction classes and Libraries etc, is some of this are not installed correct, you can get crashes, also if AEON libraries / components are buggy they effect the Hyperion components. This is why Beta testers and everyone is annoyed with AEON, as they replace things that work, with things that do not. I’m sure they eventually get it right.

my advice is stick to things uploaded on OS4Depot.net, try avoid incomplete stuff from GITHUB, ware you have to compile things yourself, this are work in progress things, that might have issues not work 100%, if you do test things like that,

WarpOS stuff was never made for AmigaOS, if crashes no one can do anything about, most likely, don’t waste your time with it. if you don’t wont crashes.

680x0 stuff well sadly, a lot of it, is not wherry system friendly, some of it makes assumptions about screen modes, and some of it does low-level calls to hardware, this are things we can’t do anything about. It annoys me that Aminet does not have comment section, it be wary useful to report bugs on Aminet, if that was possible, maybe we should start upload lha files with crash-logs?
Anyway Hippo player did not play any sound before, now it does play sound if its configured with vblank, and AHI, it can be a of result of reporting issues.

Anyway if wont to see more 68k programs on AmigaONE/X1000, you need the source code and port it over, most things are portable, if the source is available. The time it takes depends on two things, the skill of the developer and the size of the code, it be nice to see more stuff being open sourced. Is worth spending time on, is a different question.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2021 at 12:28 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 11:23:26
#11 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

which again is part of the problem now, it feel like 4 setup are required

1. Simple basic system, not changed much - Very Stable OS4.1 FE Based install, backup

2. OS4.1FE with updates and used daily, install beta stuff on - Should be ok but you never know

3. OS4.1FE with A-EON ES 2.0 with updates, A-eon data types and setup given priority - A-eon apps, should be a stable system?

4. System 54 - when ever it comes out for A-eon and future stuff

When really i just want one set up really. shame it gotten a bit messy.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 14:42:00
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Yes..

Some developers depend heavily on users/customer feedback.
Some developers use beta testers (to try find the problems first.)
Many projects lack stress testing, what happens if do the worst possible thing.
Developer hubris, is something the community is suffering from, as well.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2021 at 02:53 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 18:06:53
#13 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Only you can decide what is best for you.

IMHO, you should keep the X1000, but put it away in storage until you feel more inspired to do more troubleshooting.

Meanwhile, you are free to do something that does inspire you, like work on your Amiga Fantasy computer or continue with emulation.

redfox

BigD 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 18:29:07
#14 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

I'd sell it 'for parts' or better donate it to a computer museum or Bletchley Park after all it was launched there!

Yogi27 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 18:34:12
#15 ]

Hi Everyone,

First off, you should sell it to me :)!

Second, would Acube and A-Eon get going here. My AmigaOne 500 is almost ten years old, and since I keep it running 24/7, it is getting old! I am getting tired of patching things on it! It reminds of my Amiga 3000! I kept that baby running 24/7 until I could finally get a new Amiga to replace it from Amiga Technologies after Commodore went bankrupt.

They need to get these new motherboards out here sooner then later. I am willing to buy from both Acube and A-Eon. I am even signed up for the early adopter for the A1222 and I will also buy another Sam motherboard as well.

Yogi

BigD 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 19:12:15
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Yogi27

Quote:
I am even signed up for the early adopter for the A1222

'Early' compared to what? Armageddon?!

redfox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 20:28:40
#17 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@redfox

I'd sell it 'for parts' or better donate it to a computer museum or Bletchley Park after all it was launched there!

Good idea. I agree.

redfox

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 20:59:40
#18 ]
Elite Member

@amigang
I will gladly buy your X1000 motherboard. I had x5000,sam460,pegasos2, and what I really luck and which i want to have for testing/compare/etc, is X1000, but never find one for sale in last years.

amigang 
Posted on 12-Dec-2021 23:46:36
#19 ]
Elite Member

Well on some further thinking I’d likely I’m going to keep it, unless it really is unrepairable or it cost to much to repair.

Going to order some br2032 as apparently there better, get some new high quality sata cables and a air can, see if I can fix it. If not I might see if there any Amiga shows in the uk where someone could help or even see if I could drive down to Amiga kit and see if they can help.

Cheers for your advise guys,

BigD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2021 0:01:37
#20 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I hope that you're successful but my advice would be not to bust a gut troubleshooting if it is not obvious to you. I've had not much luck beyond simple soldering jobs on basic electrical items or reseating CPU boards etc. Anything a bit more complicated can sometimes cause you to make it worse trying to fix something a little out of your grasp.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle