Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  10 mins ago
 Bruce72:  12 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  59 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why I love NG?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Why I love NG?
Posted on 28-Dec-2021 7:45:40
#101 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Yeah, I held out until around 2004 too using my Amiga as my primary machine transitioning to PC for a few years when I needed more dialup Internet functionality. I remember getting The Doom Collection around that time and choosing to play it on my CD32 pad on my 030 50Mhz Amiga rather than the Windows 98 laptop. PCs were still really clunky then unless you had a new fast (and expensive) Windows XP desktop. Then got a second hand iBook G4 which was a hardy little machine and quite Amiga like in it's "for the masses" polycarbonate design and MacOS Tiger aqua beauty with Classic Rosetta emulation for Settlers 2 and use with my old scanner!

However, the Classic Amiga was (and is) more fun and productive for me back then. I now have a new work cycle to replace my poster creation/graphics creation and manipulation with Photoshop / GrafX2/ AnimWebConverter/ Powerpoint/ Premiere and Encore but deep down I still have a soft spot for Turboprint, PageStream, Deluxe Paint, Photogenics and Scala 400! I still use TurboPrint Graphics Publisher to print multi-page posters on my 060 Amiga - sublime!

Last edited by BigD on 28-Dec-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 28-Dec-2021 8:27:13
#102 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I still have a soft spot for Turboprint, PageStream, Deluxe Paint, Photogenics and Scala 400!

INDEED THE AMIGA COMMUNITY COULD USE SOME SCALA 400

/mega

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Dec-2021 16:24:08
#103 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Never tried it but you can show Scala presentation on Hollywood / Malibu

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=72942.0

bison 
Posted on 28-Dec-2021 20:28:46
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Ubuntu 10 on PPC beats your current Linux with looks any day of the week!

Gnome 3 has been a huge regression. It makes a 24" monitor look like a giant mobile phone.

agami 
Posted on 29-Dec-2021 2:48:36
#105 ]

Reading these Amiga NG journeys refreshed my own memory of where I went to as the use of my “Frankenstein’s monster” of an expanded A1200 waned and eventually ceased.

I started using Apple Macs in work settings during 1993, and eventually got myself a used LC in 1994. While I did start using Windows PCs in a work setting in 1994, it wasn’t until the introduction of Windows 95 that I got a PC for personal use.

Of the three, I used the Amiga the most and Windows the least, and as the ‘90s rolled on, the reduction of Amiga use was substituted with an increase in MacOS, through a series of 68k and PPC Macs, culminating in my first ever portable: PowerBook G3 333MHz.

And then Apple released their modern, Unix-based, object-oriented OS X. While the following is a controversial opinion, I share it with more than a few of former and existing Amiga users; Mac OS X was an acceptable surrogate for Amiga NG.

I’d go as far to say that, since moving to Mac OS X as my daily driver in the early 2000s, rightfully or wrongly I compared every Amiga NG initiative to Apple’s OS. MorphOS showed some early promise but the pace was not maintained, AmigaOS 4.x was more aptly compared to MacOS 9.x, more like what Amiga OS 3.9 should’ve been, and AROS looked pretty much like classic, but with a lot of hidden potential yet to be realized.

Since about 2017, I’ve actually moved to Linux, something I’ve used on and off since 1996, as my personal daily driver. Mostly because certain Apple choices for macOS were increasingly annoying, and not because Linux is more Amiga-like.

I truly wanted to be in the “I love Amiga NG” camp. All of them earnest efforts, but falling too short of the mark.

kolla 
Posted on 29-Dec-2021 3:31:06
#106 ]
Elite Member

@agami

I agree. Aside from a few GUI concepts, todays macOS is very much what a lot of people wanted Amiga to become 25 years ago.

Not because Amiga people used to be such big Apple fans, but because they often were big fans of NeXT - there is so much in the "classic" 68k Amiga software that attempts to mimic concepts of old NeXTStep - from sticky popup menus to docks and icon sets.

kolla 
Posted on 29-Dec-2021 3:33:17
#107 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Gnome 3? Isn't it Gnome 42 these days?

bison 
Posted on 29-Dec-2021 4:30:28
#108 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Version inflation! I vaguely remember that, now that you mention it. It has a UI very similar to version 3, i.e., a giant phone.

KimmoK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2021 8:48:38
#109 ]
Elite Member

@topic

>I love NG beacuse it is the same Amiga as from Commodore only better beacuse faster.

I have similar "feelings".
AOS is familiar, even though with too limited R&D it has become a "franken system" here and there.
Not as simple as it used to be.

>As a software developer I don't care about cpu in Amiga as long it is big endian cpu.

Endianess and "big endian" was my top5? -list of good features of Amiga.
But nowdays, I do not look at that "low level" any more.
I do not dream/fansy in programming in assembly any more.

Endianess compatbility can be nowdays done in adaptation layers without too much performance penalty.

Supporting limited set of HW tend to enable more robust system as a whole, so I do not need/want AOS to try to focus on off-the-self mess off components. So, I do not see AOS on a vanilla PC to be a good option.

So far PPC is still ok, especially when we do not have extra resources to support new ISA.
ISA change should be planned very carefully (we should have a already done that plan long time ago).

(TODAY, to me, going towards RPi4 would seem interesting, if we somehow could get that HW supported 99%. But getting AOS better and better is more important.)

>As a software developer I don't care if Amiga has chipset.

I think FPGA chipset might be ok for things like sound and to boot up on a cheap device.
We need mainstream GPU component for higher end use.

>os comaptible enough

For me, legacy apps can be run in a sandbox.

> fast graphics.

Yes please. Responsiveness!

>I don't need it to be as fast as pc.

I would love to have >1Ghz and multicore. (AOS5 with sandbox for AOS4 and 68k stuff)
Even my 666Mhz SAM performs nicely most of the time.
The slow speed of A4000D was my main Amiga problem in early 2000, SAM fixed that.

(too bad the features of "executive" are not built in AOS4)

I also dream of siamese-system for a "rabbit hole" to launch mainstream browser etc.
(browser running on RPi via gbit ethernet or on a ARM PCI(e) card)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle