Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  39 mins ago
 number6:  50 mins ago
 RobertB:  51 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 outlawal2:  4 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaONE X1000 Tenth Anniversay
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Poll : So what do you think of the AmigaONE X1000?
Success
Failer
Steping Stone
What is X?
Where is OS4.2?
Pancakes
Another Bloody Poll!!

PosterThread
amigang 
AmigaONE X1000 Tenth Anniversay
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 17:22:41
#1 ]
Elite Member

Happy? 10 Years to my AmigaONE X1000

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS15zaU1bDs
Thought - https://amigang.com/amigaone-x1000-10-year-anniversary-thoughts/

I hope it doesn't come across to negative I have enjoyed my time on AmigaONE x1000 and Os4 platform and reconnecting with the Amiga community, its just I rewatched some of the old video of what was promised and what the main focus of the X1000 was, three bigs things stood out, AmigaOS4.2, Dual Core support and Xmos. As we all know now unfortunately all them promises fell though, maybe due to no fault of anyone, but it is a bit of shame. However we did get unexpectedly some much improved graphics cards support that is continuing to bring befits to the OS4 platform and I'm also grateful that support is still coming from Amigakit / A-EON and Hyperion, maybe I also had a unlucky gremlin filled experiences in the last year or two with my X1000 I feel a bit more down on it, but i do want to say I think it was worth jumping on the ride and appreciate the effort.

So what do you think of the AmigaONE X1000?

Last edited by amigang on 04-Mar-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
redfox 
Re: AmigaONE X1000 Tenth Anniversay
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 17:53:25
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

No opinion here. I could not afford to buy X1000 when it came out, and it is no longer available.

I have enjoyed OS4 on a much older system.

redfox

amigakit 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 18:16:58
#3 ]
Amiga Kit

@amigang

Well, 4.2 did not come due to key people leaving Hyperion, insolvency proceedings, litigation etc. We have all lived through the last decade's drama.

On the other hand there has been some good news for X1000 users. Since 2015, the Enhancer Software has been progressively upgraded many times since its first release.

It is not just a graphics driver: it is now a entire graphics sub system plus numerous other enhancements that go beyond anything that was able to be realised by Hyperion for OS4.2. Hans has spent years developing the graphics system along with the efforts of the rest of the Enhancer Software team working on great applications such as MultiViewer, MultiEdit, TuneNet and X-Dock.

There is more to come this year.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 18:46:06
#4 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

I hope will get update CFE with support for RX graphic cards.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 19:22:53
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Thanks for all the hard work. A-Eon, AmigaKit and contractors working on AmigaOS, Enhancer and Applications have done some brilliant work even during trying times.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 20:39:52
#6 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

It was a failure due to Apple buying P.A. Semi and stopping mass production of the PA6T. It was an expensive option from that moment.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 23:02:20
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

... technically though it was a mind over matter marvel and a breath of fresh air after all the Amy 05 Troika/ACK Software Controls vapourware for years!

The Altivec support and features were good for 2010. It's a shame the A1222 Plus doesn't match it for features at a lower cost reduced price point.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 4-Mar-2022 23:04:06
#8 ]

10 Years and x1000 owners can still only use one core with os4 :( does system54 support multi core ?

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

samo79 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 1:06:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Its up mostly to the kernel development i think, not the enhancer

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 2:16:43
#10 ]
Elite Member

wow 10 years already

Time flies when you're having fun and my X1000 has only been off when I'm sleeping and the days I've been sick ! It's seen the pre-release of OS4.1 and has enjoyed many updates leading up to OS4.1 FE Update 2 along with all the Enhancer packs from A-Eon!

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 2:20:38
#11 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

g01df1sh wrote:
10 Years and x1000 owners can still only use one core with os4 :( does system54 support multi core ?

and still light years faster than my beloved Amiga 4000 with CS-MKIII

Will be cool 'when' dual core comes to AmigaOS4.2 for sure

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

tommysammy 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 6:55:52
#12 ]
Cult Member

I had an AmigaOneX1000 from the beginning, really a very good computer. Many promises have not been delivered to this day, AmigaOs4.2 , Gallium3D, OnBoard Ethernet, Multicore. NG Amiga is dead for me. I sold my NG stuff and be happy with my 68k Amigas

agami 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 7:55:43
#13 ]

@amigang

I'm not sure success of the X1000 should be defined by the personal experience of a small amount of users. That's like using anecdotal evidence to prove a point.

Looking at it objectively, if we consider what A-Eon aimed to accomplish with the X1000, it is a successful failure. Much like the Apollo 13 mission. While they didn't exactly reach their intended objective, no one lost their lives and everyone made it safely home.

We can all work extra hard to find the silver lining in even the darkest of storm clouds, but the story of the X1000 is filled will disappointment, strategic and tactical missteps, and broken promises:

- much delayed launch
- promise of AmigaOS 4.2 to everyone who purchased an X1000
- sold only as a complete system
- prohibitively expensive (@redfox)
- lack of drivers
- Xorro/Xena

Of course, that doesn't mean that people can't enjoy using hardware that is objectively considered a failure. I enjoyed using the Blackberry Z10 smartphone, the HTC Windows 8X smartphone and Pebble smartwatches, just like many enjoyed using their Atari Jaguar consoles, NeXT cubes, and Segways.

There really is no need to sugar-coat this one.

amigakit 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 7:58:25
#14 ]
Amiga Kit

@klx300r

Quote:
Will be cool 'when' dual core comes to AmigaOS4.2 for sure

The questions remain: what advancements/features would there be there to include to justify the OS4.2 revision bump? Who will produce this update and how will the development be paid for ? These are difficult problems to resolve given the circumstances that have remained around Hyperion for the last 7 years. This is the reason we started the Enhancer Software project. With Hyperion's seemingly never ending legal issues, management that has walked out some time ago and loss of developers I don't see any other viable option than continuing to expand the Enhancer Software to fill the void.

Quote:
updates leading up to OS4.1 FE Update 2

This was a compilation of past bug fix work pushed out by a few helpers of Hyperion. It was the remnants left on the cutting room floor. Gerniuinely new developments have to be worked on to advance OS4.1 past this point. That will need resources: new developers, management and cash.

@tommysammy

Warp3D Nova has many core features to match Gallium3D and continues to be developed further. IMHO that is the best option. Nova took five years to get to this point, I don't see Hyperion being able to invest in Gallium3D development due to lack of expertise.

Last edited by amigakit on 05-Mar-2022 at 08:07 AM.

abalaban 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 8:22:21
#15 ]

@agami

To there is no broken promise from A-EON about Xorro/Xena: they delivered an expansion connector, dedicated programmable on-board chip and some development tools to go with as a wink to classic Zorro expansion system. Doing that they were in hope that some will stand up and develop boards for it (just like all the backs we did on our classic back in time). Unfortunately, except a debugging board from Lyle that's not what happened, but this is not A-EON fault.

amigang 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 10:33:26
#16 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
I'm not sure success of the X1000 should be defined by the personal experience of a small amount of users.

Which is why I tried to be fair in my thoughts, late last year I notice that my x1000 computer would be 10 years old this year, which I thought was amazing and frightening at the same time. Where does the time go.

So rewatching the old Amiwest stuff and the original promo teaser stuff, you can see it here:
https://youtu.be/ayPOZfxNzg8

Surprise how much it was about, xmos / xean, and dual core support when really the main thing for me and most fans my guess was how good AmigaOs would be on it, and it turned out to be the best os4 machine you could buy for a while.

Like I point out I think the biggest downfall to the x1000 and this mini comeback for os4 was likely PA Semi being bought by Apple, so that effectively killed the product and I think also hurt ppc development and forced the os4 team and a-eon to have to go back to the drawing board and start again with the x5000, killing a lot of momentum of the market the x1000 brought.

But it not just Os4.2 / dual core / xean developments that effect my feeling of the state of the market, after all I feel like I wasn’t that fused about dual core support or xean, I just wanted a good fast Amiga experience that I could use day today and for the first 5 or so years it really did deliver.

A big one and feeling Amiga back was the Firefox port, Timberwolf, here we had a very main stream big app running on os4. Pulse we had the promise and screenshots of open office kid running on AmigaOs4, (what ever happened to it, was it unstable? Why was it never just release as is?) this kinda gave me more encouragement to jump on this crazy ride but again I now know that Amiga market just dont have the resource to keep up with the main stream app, it sad to realises this, maybe again I was naive/fool for thinking we could do it but we can’t and that’s not the fault of the devs that are left doing their best, that just how it is unfortunately which is why I shifted my view and think better solutions like rabbit hole / aros linux are now maybe the only way of achieving my dream of Amiga system that can run modern day apps.

Last edited by amigang on 05-Mar-2022 at 10:41 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 10:40:41
#17 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Nothing changed, X1000 and X5000 is right type of hardware for AmigaOS4,x, multi core system allows developers to work in direction of multi core.
the hardware is good, the price was high.

I don’t blame the failures of Hyperion on the hardware.
Nor do I blame A-EON for Apple buying Pa-Semi. And shutting down the production of the chips.

The people who are to blame for ongoing legal disputes are the companies suing each other. Amiga Inc, Hyperion, Cloanto, KMOS, and former Hyperion managers as well as current. Allowing the name to slip by during settlement contract was a major mistake. And this issues started long before X1000, I hold Amiga Inc mostly blame for start of this, they simply had no clue about what they were doing. The actual legal problems started before Hyperion with Hagge & Partner, Amitalon disaster. Amiga Inc and the developers / contractors did not share the same visions.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Mar-2022 at 10:41 AM.

gonegahgah 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 12:33:39
#18 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
Quote:
I hope will get update CFE with support for RX graphic cards.

For me too it has been about waiting with the hope that I will one day actually be able to buy a graphics card for the machine from cards that are currently being sold.
At some point anytime an upgrade came through it was for cards that were no longer sold over here.
I believe there is or was someone dabbling with giving the X1000 the ability to access modern cards which I think rely on UEFI now?
However they made no promises and it seemed as if it was a bit of a loose project for them.
It's that new requirement that seems to have stopped the X1000 in its tracks so that the thought of buying a new card becomes increasingly a pipe dream...
Until then my machine basically sits there as an unused box taking up space on the floor.
I had also hoped to have a modern office suite on the system to at least use it for recording things in a way that they won't get lost to history.
I thought also maybe I would learn how to do some 3D stuff on it and hopefully 4D stuff one day...
But without being able to buy a new card...
In the meantime I use my PC laptop to develop other ideas.
I have a spare 1GB SSD drive sitting there hoping to put into my X1000 one day.
Hopefully it doesn't just end up finishing its days pretty much unloved and unused...

Last edited by gonegahgah on 05-Mar-2022 at 12:36 PM.

ne_one 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 17:51:57
#19 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
It was a failure due to Apple buying P.A. Semi and stopping mass production of the PA6T. It was an expensive option from that moment.

It was a poor decision to go with that CPU long before Apple was involved. Single-sourcing an esoteric offering as the basis of a business plan just made it dense on an even more epic scale.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2022 18:06:48
#20 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

succes is relative

I would say it this way... it was produced and sold enough to reearn the investment propably despite the high price. So obviously there was a demand for it that was satisfied. So in this sense it certainly was a success. But time has changed and it is 10 years later so the situation is different now. If you could still sell a new system at that high price in higher numbers is doubtful in my view. X1000 was the right product at its time.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle