Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  47 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaONE X1000 Tenth Anniversay
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Poll : So what do you think of the AmigaONE X1000?
Success
Failer
Steping Stone
What is X?
Where is OS4.2?
Pancakes
Another Bloody Poll!!

PosterThread
cgutjahr 
Re: AmigaONE X1000 Tenth Anniversay
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 14:27:16
#41 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Since you're here, and since you already mentioned "legal issues": maybe you could take this opportunity to explain on which grounds you considered opposing the registration of the "Amiga Addict" trademark in the Uk?

(edit: typos)

Last edited by cgutjahr on 07-Mar-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Last edited by cgutjahr on 07-Mar-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 15:19:12
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

not recovered costs? Where do you know? I have nowhere read any official numbers

Trixie 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 15:27:44
#43 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigakit

Quote:
X1000 need a firmware upgrade to use Polaris cards

What seems to be the problem here, is the firmware code not available?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

mbrantley 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 18:51:31
#44 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Quote:
Quote:
True HD and 4K video for my hardware can get my money.

That already exists in the latest Enhancer Software V2.1 - however X1000 need a firmware upgrade to use Polaris cards. This is nothing to do with the Enhancer Software- it is purely a firmware issue.

To be clear, the only thing that interests me about purchasing this Enhancer update would be the new driver for the accelerated video, but only if it will have benefit for the X1000. So perhaps I will buy it after a firmware upgrade. The X1000 and the Enhancer software are both A-Eon products, right? I cannot spend more money on this unless it all works together. I will keep watching to see if that development comes to pass.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 21:10:00
#45 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
not recovered costs? Where do you know? I have nowhere read any official numbers

Pretty sure he said so on at least one occasion but maybe I'm wrong.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 21:14:38
#46 ]
Elite Member

@mbrantley

Quote:
To be clear, the only thing that interests me about purchasing this Enhancer update would be the new driver for the accelerated video, but only if it will have benefit for the X1000. So perhaps I will buy it after a firmware upgrade. The X1000 and the Enhancer software are both A-Eon products, right? I cannot spend more money on this unless it all works together. I will keep watching to see if that development comes to pass.

I'd rather have the VA driver for Radeon SI cards. I don't own or plan to buy a 4K monitor and don't need the extra expense of replacing a card that's capable of video up to 2K.

amigakit 
Posted on 7-Mar-2022 22:21:57
#47 ]
Amiga Kit

@mbrantley

Quote:

To be clear, the only thing that interests me about purchasing this Enhancer update would be the new driver for the accelerated video

Video acceleration isn’t provided by a stand alone driver and cannot be installed in isolation. It won’t work alone as the technology it relies on is too advanced.

A large portion of the Enhancer Software 2.1 needs to be installed first.

The VA Library runs on top of Warp3D Nova libraries. This in turn needs the RadeonRX driver and the Power Management with its own Prefs. To obtain periodic updates the Updater tool and AmiSphereServer need also to be installed.

Going forward, as more graphics functionality gets implemented there will be further dependencies to install from the Enhancer Software. It is unavoidable due to the limitations of OS4.

Rob 
Posted on 8-Mar-2022 1:09:24
#48 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:
Video acceleration isn’t provided by a stand alone driver and cannot be installed in isolation. It won’t work alone as the technology it relies on is too advanced.

I don't think his objection is to the Enhancer Software rather that he can't use the most compelling feature of the latest version . To be honest the main reason I bought the update is that I thought the Radeon SI VA driver would be delivered sooner than it has been.

Quote:
Going forward, as more graphics functionality gets implemented there will be further dependencies to install from the Enhancer Software. It is unavoidable due to the limitations of OS4.

Is there any more info on Warp2D and is VCE support a consideration. Both SI and RX cards have VCE support and it would be a boon to anyone producing and editing video on OS4.

mbrantley 
Posted on 8-Mar-2022 3:13:58
#49 ]
Cult Member

Yes, Rob understands me exactly. It’s accelerated video for my X1000 that would get me to invest more in this platform. And my first choice would not be to replace my R9 270 card, for the record. This is already the third card purchased while chasing the previous software upgrades.

number6 
Posted on 18-Mar-2022 18:01:04
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
What seems to be the problem here, is the firmware code not available?

today's clue lies in the 2nd line of post #193

corto 
Posted on 19-Mar-2022 14:39:34
#51 ]

I think initial technical choices were driven by the heart. A-Eon wanted to perform a significant step and propose a new Amiga trying to make it as innovative the Amiga was in the 80's, a dream machine with high end features: 64-bit dual-core processor, virtualization support, high frequency, AltiVec, low consumption, hardware accelerators ... PA6T was very advanced and really a great processor.

X1000 is a great machine, so it was a very good surprise when it came out!
It is stable and powerful ... but has its drawbacks:

- Xorro: that increased the price for something never used ... I think they had no idea of what could be done except everything that the community imagination will have ...
- The size of the motherbaord (too big!)
- Too expensive (what also prevented to become a PPC development machine for Linux users)

Globally it was oversized compared to the market they reached and many features that first sounded great but difficult to support. This is why I think they wanted to create something special and not to sell the maximum of machines for example.

With PA Semi bought by Apple in April 2008, that immediately raised a risk for the commercial life (and for the price). And there was no strategy change at that time, based on more pragmatic choices concerning the wish to propose a new board for the Amiga (and Linux) market, that would have been driven by a lower price and quite capable model, with the idea of a high performance model in a second time with coming.

Choosing a Freescale processor would have allowed to reuse a part of the software development afterwards. In 2008, it was possible to consider not so many options but I can think about 2 for a first machine:

1. MPC864xD e600 cores: this was the end of the product line before P and T series, but these 32-bit dual-core processors had AltiVec and ran up to 1500 MHz

2. P4080 with e500mc core: also 32-bit multicore processor with an hypervisor mode and a real FPU (not like other e500 cores with SPE) ... a transition to the QorIQ models with e5500 and e6500 cores

Later, it would have been possible to create a machine with a e6500 dual-core processor (T2 and T4 families) ... for the Amiga market and beyond, with Linux support, using a CPU strong enough for a development machine and maybe low-power enough for a 64-bit PowerPC laptop ... around 2015, instead of having 3 P-serie models with partial support (I don't blame but it's reality).

So, I love my X1000, it has a strong identity and history but ... created with a given idea in mind that was not really rational for a success in terms of sales.

newlight 
Posted on 20-Mar-2022 17:43:57
#52 ]

@amigang

I don'y knowed very well but Ithink it was a success.

The predecessor of AmigaOne X5000

Amiga 1200 Tower on AmigaKit since years
AMIGA 1300 030/50 Mhz/32 MB WB 3.9 with lots of games&demos
AMIGA ONE XE G3 PPC 800 Mhz/1 GB RAM/RADEON 9250 128 MB/SATA CONTROLLER

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle