Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

sibbi

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  4 mins ago
 vox:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  59 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Poll: Elon Musk buy Twitter or Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Poll : Should Elon Musk revolutionize Computer World again?
I*m OK with the Computers of Today!
All Computers of Today thrill like Pancakes!
No, Shut the #### up!
Yes of Course Elon Musk should create a Team!
Shut down the Internet and all Computers!
There can`t be a Computer Ferrari anymore!
This Shit will #### you up!

PosterThread
QBit 
Poll: Elon Musk buy Twitter or Amiga?
Posted on 13-May-2022 19:07:00
#1 ]

A new Revolutionary Computer, is that Possible?

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Poll: Elon Musk buy Twitter or Amiga?
Posted on 13-May-2022 19:23:46
#2 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

I don’t think there will be revolution in operating systems, but we can use major contender to Microsoft, I don’t think Apple is able to. Microsoft has expanded by buying up smaller companies with good idea, stopping Microsoft from doing that, can be interesting, if another company did that instead, there can be paradigm shift, I think Google has some what successful in building alternatives, even if I’m not a major fan of the cloud.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-May-2022 at 07:24 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-May-2022 19:31:27
#3 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

Solving security problem, can be interesting. How to encrypt, isolate content from program and the OS, and limit cross application security issues.

the password mess, and governmental of forge National governments controlling, personal information of another countries, is a national treat to many countries.

there where some idea about, creating computers that did not run software, that was hardware only, FPGA computers, that only run logical operations, kind dumb terminals, with limited functionality. To replace larger switchboards in old school nuclear plants.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-May-2022 at 07:34 PM.

QBit 
Posted on 13-May-2022 20:03:32
#4 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

My technical Computer Skills are very limited. I became a silly User like most People.

I know that the Future will be creating Computers for specific Tasks. There is Classified
Computer Technology e.g. not anybody can buy sophisticated AI Technology although I
personally would have a use Case for it.. running BOINC or Folding@home and doing voluntary Computing for Scientific Tasks. So for this special Use Case I would wish that there was some
kind of extremely Powerful Thin Client with low energy Consumption where I could run BOINC and Folding@home Projects like a Hulk. The Research on the Universe is a extremeley long term Task. So I wished I had a Low Power UBER Super Computer where I just could feel good running it and letting the Machine help doing the Research! The Telescopes get more ánd more sophisticated so the need of brute Computer Power gets more and more needed at least according doimg Research on the Universe!

But maybe this now shoddy Planet will go down the River anyway!

Last edited by QBit on 13-May-2022 at 08:06 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 14-May-2022 9:59:00
#5 ]
Elite Member

Elon Musk is a strange charter, goes on about we need to save the climate and move away from oil and gas(i agree), but same time make a non Flamethrower, backs bit coins (huge amount of energy usage) and Tesla be found out a few time now to be not meeting environmental standards and is a little anti-repair.

But after saying all that he does seem to be pushing what's possible in regards with electric cars, auto driving, and space rockery.

I don't know how i feel about him owning twitter, but to be honest I didn't know enough about the current owners and at least I think he will be held to a higher regard being such a high profile person.

I think the whole social media vs freedom of speech is a debate that will go on and on. Im more pro free speech, but then there are a lot of bad actors and I think unfortunately I think we all underestimate the influence of media & social media can have and some people need protecting from some of the out right lies out their.

I would also welcome Elon or any billionaire buying the Amiga, at least then the market would have the resource behind it to make a competing platform again. I feel like the current owners clearly dont have the resource behind it and are just going to be a license company and not really create / develop anything. I hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited by amigang on 14-May-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Last edited by amigang on 14-May-2022 at 09:59 AM.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 14-May-2022 10:10:26
#6 ]

@QBit

He called somebody a paedophile just because that person said one of his ideas wouldn't work.
Would fit right in here.

Cheers

kolla 
Posted on 14-May-2022 10:24:09
#7 ]
Elite Member

Twitter is like the “BlackBerry” of social media.

Karlos 
Posted on 14-May-2022 11:32:18
#8 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Dear ULONG Musk..

As you are a massive, esoteric nerd that's more minted than you know what to do with, please buy all IP pertaining to a retro platform of no strategic value at all and bring happiness to a few hundred nerds instead of wasting a massive wad on a platform they can't even use yet...

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-May-2022 0:42:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

Unless they're troll posts it's gotten to a point that a person knows who has created posts on this site by just the title these days.
There's only a handful of people this level of delusional.

Typically the mega wealthy have become that way by making smart investments.
The Amiga and smart investments are polar opposites.

What is a little more difficult to work out is if you're a troll.
Part of me thinks you have to be, but you've been doing it for so long that it muddies clarity.

Not sure if "well played", or "oh my" is more appropriate.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 15-May-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 15-May-2022 at 12:52 AM.

bhabbott 
Posted on 15-May-2022 3:28:58
#10 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
Typically the mega wealthy have become that way by making smart investments.
The Amiga and smart investments are polar opposites.
Irving Gould seemed to have done OK out of it. He did what any smart investor would, sucked as money out of the company as he could before its inevitable collapse.

And just at the right time for us too, before the Amiga morphed into a boring PC clone.

@amigang

Quote:

amigang wrote:
Elon Musk is a strange charter, goes on about we need to save the climate and move away from oil and gas(i agree), but same time make a non Flamethrower, backs bit coins (huge amount of energy usage) and Tesla be found out a few time now to be not meeting environmental standards and is a little anti-repair.

But after saying all that he does seem to be pushing what's possible in regards with electric cars, auto driving, and space rockery.
Musk put everything he had into SpaceX and Tesla, and almost went bankrupt doing it. But he pulled through and proved to the automobile industry that electric cars are the future. He has done far more to save the planet than any of them, and any nit-picks about not meeting environmental standards or being 'a little anti-repair' are just that.

Now he's the richest man in the World, and can easily afford frivolities like 'investing' in Bitcoin or buying Twitter. It also makes him quite dangerous. I hope he has the sense to realize what damage he could do, and pray he doesn't get any ideas about the Amiga.

Quote:
Im more pro free speech, but then there are a lot of bad actors and I think unfortunately I think we all underestimate the influence of media & social media can have and some people need protecting from some of the out right lies out their.
I'm all for bad actors being held responsible for their actions, including their lies. But I would rather know what they are lying about than not. If Musk can take the heat for making Twitter an unmoderated cesspool I'm all for it. Let's embolden the bad actors to tell us what they really think, then we can judge them accordingly.

Quote:
I would also welcome Elon or any billionaire buying the Amiga, at least then the market would have the resource behind it to make a competing platform again. I feel like the current owners clearly dont have the resource behind it and are just going to be a license company and not really create / develop anything. I hope they prove me wrong.
Best scenario is Musk buys all the Amiga IP and then gives it way for free, like he did with Tesla's patents.

But let's not kid ourselves - the Amiga will never be a 'competing' platform again - because it never was. And I am OK with that. Why the need to compete? Can't we just enjoy what we have and get along with other platforms without having to be 'better' than them? One of the reasons I like working with the Amiga is that it doesn't have the sophistication of a modern computer.

There are things I can think of for the Amiga that would benefit from the patronage of the wealthiest man in the World, but also a lot that I think would be a disaster. What most concerns me now is the ridiculous prices that used Amiga hardware is fetching these days. The way things a going a company could do very well just making reproductions of classic Amigas. That's what I would do if I had the money to throw away.

agami 
Posted on 17-May-2022 13:17:31
#11 ]

@QBit

Por que no los dos? (cue music)

If I could get a meeting with monsieur Musk, I bet I could convince him to fund my new computer platform, which would be heavily influenced by the Amiga of old.

The man's investing trend is in where the proverbial puck is going to be. My business plan would be right within his wheelhouse.

Buying all the Amiga IP would be "couch cushion" money, in the scheme of things.
We could brand the new operating system AmigaOS 420

bison 
Posted on 17-May-2022 15:46:37
#12 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

Elon Musk is polar opposite of Amiga. Amiga is about nostalgia, Elon is about the future.

matthey 
Posted on 17-May-2022 16:45:18
#13 ]

bison Quote:

Elon Musk is polar opposite of Amiga. Amiga is about nostalgia, Elon is about the future.

The Acorn Archimedes, RISC PC and RISC OS were in the past until the Raspberry Pi reinvented and reinvigorated the past. Now the Raspberry Pi present and future is more popular than the most popular PC model of the past which was the C64. The Acorn family of PCs sold less units than the Amiga but now the Raspberry Pi sales have likely surpassed that of every computer CBM ever sold.

Elon Musk supports education.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizahaverstock/2022/02/15/elon-musk-reports-donating-57-billion-to-charity-but-there-is-no-trace-of-that-gift-yet/?sh=777f258f2782 Quote:

Musk Foundation’s donations for fiscal year ended June 2020
Amount Recipient
$20,701,689 Fidelity Charitable (Musk’s donor-advised fund)
$1,000,000 The Mercatus Center at George Mason University
$1,000,000 Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
$500,000 Hack Club
$250,000 Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation
$60,000 Ad Astra School
$50,000 Sacred Heart University
$25,000 Crossroads School For The Arts and Sciences
$25,000 Windward School
$2,500 Friends of Playa Vista School
TOTAL $23,614,189

I couldn't find where the Musk Foundation donated directly to the Raspberry Pi Foundation but it is possible that money donated to schools was used to purchase Raspberry Pi hardware.

Last edited by matthey on 17-May-2022 at 04:45 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 17-May-2022 18:29:45
#14 ]
Elite Member

@all

What does MEGA_EC_MUSK have to say about this idea?

bhabbott 
Posted on 17-May-2022 20:03:56
#15 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@QBit

OK. So Elon Musk is about the future of automobiles, right?

History of the AutomobileQuote:
Electric cars enjoyed popularity between the late 19th century and early 20th century, when electricity was among the preferred methods for automobile propulsion, providing a level of comfort and ease of operation that could not be achieved by the gasoline cars of the time.

Advances in internal combustion technology, especially the electric starter, soon rendered this advantage moot; the greater range of gasoline cars, quicker refueling times, and growing petroleum infrastructure, along with the mass production of gasoline vehicles by companies such as the Ford Motor Company, which reduced prices of gasoline cars to less than half that of equivalent electric cars, led to a decline in the use of electric propulsion, effectively removing it from important markets such as the US by the 1930s.

Can you see the parallels? In the early days of personal transportation electric cars seemed to be the future, but the discovery of large oil deposits gave internal combustion cars the power and range that batteries of the time couldn't. So despite their significant disadvantages, gas cars swamped the market and were constantly refined, while electric cars languished and practically disappeared (modern gas cars actually have huge amounts of electrically powered stuff in them to make them work better, but we don't talk about that...).

And when did the idea of reusable rockets that land on their tail first appear? 1930's science fiction stories were full of them. This clip from a 1959 Russian movie shows a craft that is eerily similar to Space X's reusable launch system.

Musk isn't inventing the future, he's reviving things from the past!

But the question is, why would he be interested in reviving the Amiga? What does it offer that 'modern' systems don't? If you want Musk to invest in the Amiga you have to pitch him something other than PC envy. Could its lightweight hardware and OS help save the planet, or the open architecture protect freedom of speech and information? Would it be a neat thing to add to Tesla's Entertainment screen?

Jose 
Posted on 17-May-2022 20:45:49
#16 ]
Cult Member

@amigang
"...and some people need protecting from some of the out right lies out their".

Sure, and who'll protect the rest from the new protectors ? Most of the problems of social media today are not even because of misinformation, it's because of outright censorship of completely valid information and there is a huge potential for the new misinformation ministries (more like "ministries of truth" really) to censor what they want and allow what lets call it their conveniences command... Almost anything that's not threatening violence should be discussed transparently otherwise it should not be trusted. Science, as some like to invoke it, is not about trust or faith, it's about open war debate and proof. Well, it used to be...

José

Nonefornow 
Posted on 17-May-2022 22:06:06
#17 ]

@agami

Quote:
Buying all the Amiga IP would be "couch cushion" money, in the scheme of things.
We could brand the new operating system AmigaOS 420

And have the machine powered by solar panels.

https://www.tesla.com/solarpanels

bison 
Posted on 17-May-2022 23:45:51
#18 ]
Elite Member

@bhabbott

Quote:
So Elon Musk is about the future of automobiles, right?

Maybe, maybe not. It will be hard to generate enough electricity for everyone to drive electric cars without relying on nuclear power, or burning a lot of coal, and neither is politically popular.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 18-May-2022 1:36:28
#19 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@all

What does MEGA_EC_MUSK have to say about this idea?

Friend DiscreetFX!

Your surprise will be monumental, as I have actually wondered oh so many times!
Why!

Why none of the great technology moguls of the century,
nerds who certainly grew up like you all bathing in the warm, fuzzy glow of the Commodore Sixty-Four, of the amiga Five-Hundred,
chose to throw a meager couple millions to purchase a dream?

Leaving it, perhaps, to gather dust.
Like oh so many works of art and intellect from a distant time, hauled away to the manors of this and that so called "tycoon".

Leaving it, yes, to gather dust,
but still in better hands than the blood-soaked, festering ichor-dripping, disease-carrying claws of the Trevors, Micheles and Bens who roam the brands today sniffing and snorting and rustling for a scrap of rotting trash, leaving their stomach-churning droppings here and there as the onWHAT WAS I SAYING?

Ah, certainly:

Your surprise, dearest friend DiscreetFX, will be monumental.
I agree, one of those Musks should have bought the IPs and gave them a better retirement home, and slash or opensource this and that.

MEGA "RJ" MICAL HAS SPOKEN

Last Edited by MEGA RJ MICAL.
Thanks for your submission.

matthey 
Posted on 18-May-2022 2:18:23
#20 ]

bhabbott Quote:

OK. So Elon Musk is about the future of automobiles, right?

Can you see the parallels? In the early days of personal transportation electric cars seemed to be the future, but the discovery of large oil deposits gave internal combustion cars the power and range that batteries of the time couldn't. So despite their significant disadvantages, gas cars swamped the market and were constantly refined, while electric cars languished and practically disappeared (modern gas cars actually have huge amounts of electrically powered stuff in them to make them work better, but we don't talk about that...).

In my opinion, gasoline powered vehicles still have the convenience and cost advantage over EVs while they can continue to improve in fuel mileage as EVs improve. I can see both being successful and we likely need both like we need diverse energy sources including oil, natural gas and green energy. Many of the liberals here in the U.S. used to be for diverse energy sources but radicals moved them to the left with an exaggeration of environmental damage. Actually, one of the greatest environmental disasters of all time came from using gasoline but not from the gasoline itself.

The Man Who Accidentally Killed The Most People In History
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3dnLzthDA

bhabbott Quote:

Musk isn't inventing the future, he's reviving things from the past!

Some of the old things are useful and deserve to be revived.

Nonefornow Quote:

And have the machine powered by solar panels.

A modern Amiga could easily be run from a small solar panel because of its minimalist design. The Vampire V4+ SA uses about 2W of power but an ASIC uses 1/3 to 1/6 of the power of an FPGA so roughly .5W. This is without power gating to turn off unused units which could reduce this further. A solar panel on a case or the lid of a laptop could generate 2-5 Watts depending on the size and light level so an Amiga as powerful as a Vampire or 68060@100MHz with Amiga custom chips could easily be powered by a small solar panel. The 68060 used power gating to reduce power to a peak of 3.9W at 50MHz nearly 30 years ago. This would be about 2.6W TDP as Intel uses today. The Vampire V4+ SA has 512MiB of memory, large caches compared to the 68060, the SAGA chipset and still draws less power using a FPGA which shows how much of a difference nearly 30 years of technology makes.

Last edited by matthey on 18-May-2022 at 02:26 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 18-May-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 18-May-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle