Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 kolla:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 BigD:  28 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Scrapyard
Register To Post

Poll : What do you think about it?
Its where find all my Amiga Chipsts, 680x0, and ram modules or PPC chips
it’s shameful all the useful stuff being thrown away.
Not often, but I do sometimes find useful stuff there.
We need to recycle more, its shameful amount of waste.
I buy new INTEL/AMD’s and thrown the in Scrappy Courtyard all the time.
I don’t care about recycling, I’m horrible person.
That’s where my pancakes comes from ;-)

PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Scrapyard
Posted on 16-May-2022 9:03:16
#1 ]
Elite Member

Scrapyard, or old stuff that people throw away, it seems that lot of you collect, for your repair project, so what do you think about the Scrapyard.

The Scrapyard keeps popping up here and there, on FB and Amiga groups and forums, like her:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44526&forum=17&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#850806

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-May-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
QBit 
Re: Scrapyard
Posted on 16-May-2022 10:19:47
#2 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Here in Germany Scrapyards for Electronics have Defense Systems. Too much Gold in the Chips!

Last edited by QBit on 16-May-2022 at 10:20 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 16-May-2022 23:32:07
#3 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
Scrapyard, or old stuff that people throw away, it seems that lot of you collect, for your repair project, so what do you think about the Scrapyard.

The Scrapyard keeps popping up here and there, on FB and Amiga groups and forums, like her:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44526&forum=17&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#850806

Don't judge a book by its cover! What looks like scrap and a scrapyard to the uneducated can actually be high tech production and recycling. The ignorant may see gold from electronics or a gold mine as a great business because the end product is valuable. It is not so important what the end product is but what it costs to produce it and how much demand there is for it. Most fertilizer businesses right now generate more free cash flow than gold mining businesses.

The picture of Hey Machinery from the link shows signs of a high tech business as well. Some of the tires pictured look like airplane tires which are some of the highest tech tires in the world. There was a higher tech tire with out of this world technology.

https://www.nasa.gov/aeroresearch/resources/artifact-opportunities/tire-basic-facts/ Quote:

Space Shuttle Tire Basic Facts and Figures
Surprisingly, a space shuttle tire is not much larger than a truck tire, but a main landing gear tire can carry three times the load of a Boeing 747 tire or the entire starting line-up of a NASCAR race—40 race cars—all hitting the pavement at up to 250 miles per hour.

Interesting Facts

Number of tires on the space shuttle:
4 main landing gear tires 44.5x16.0-21, 34 ply, 263 mph
2 nose landing gear tires 32x8.8, 20 ply, 250 mph
The space shuttle tires are filled with nitrogen (as are most aircraft tires) due to its stability at different altitudes and temperatures. Due to extremely heavy loads, these bias ply tires are inflated to 340 psi (main gear) and 300 psi (nose gear).
Shuttle tires go from in excess of -40 degrees Fahrenheit in space to +130 degrees Fahrenheit on landing in a matter of minutes.
The main landing gear shuttle tires are only used one time and the nose landing gear are typically used for two landings.
Weight: Since weight is of extreme importance, the tires are made with a minimum amount of tread to conserve weight, allowing for larger payloads. A few pounds may not seem to make much difference, but when you add up all of the ways to decrease weight throughout the shuttle it can have a significant impact.

Size/Dimension: 44.5x16.0-21 MLG

Outside Diameter: 44.9 inches

Section Width: 16 inches

Wheel Rim Diameter: 21 inches

Approx. Weight: 205 pounds

Max. Inflation Pressure: 340 PSI

Max. Operating Load: 142,000 pounds

Max. Speed: 259 mph

Load per lb. of Tire: 695 pounds

Commercial airplane and military aircraft tires use similar technology. The tires can only be used so many times until they can't be used for flying. They may be deemed unflyable due to a failed x-ray or too long in storage. Where do the tires go that can't be flown anymore? Quite often they go on to off-road mostly agriculture equipment. The aluminum magnesium alloy aircraft wheels are very expensive so they need cheaper wheels like Hey Machinery manufactures. The "machinery" in the name is another clue to the high technology business. The business has at least 9 mechanical and hydraulic presses up to a 500 ton mechanical press that required removing part of the roof to install. There is a custom wheel machine which shapes steel bands into rims. Most of the equipment is older and the tooling custom which is repaired or created in the in-shop machine shop. Welding and torch equipment for wheel production is in that little shop. There is also a paint booth and office in that little shop. The business can build or repair custom wheels for off-road equipment from as small as garden tractors to as big as combines. Some of the inventory and equipment may look like junk but don't be fooled.

Last edited by matthey on 17-May-2022 at 03:57 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 17-May-2022 2:26:29
#4 ]
Elite Member

I found my first ever monitor in the garbage! mind you it was an orange monochrome 12 " that ruined my eye sight for life but hey it was better than my b&w TV back then though I could tell colour differences a million times better than on the monitor go figure

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Nonefornow 
Posted on 17-May-2022 22:52:02
#5 ]

@matthey

The tires on my car say do not inflate more than 40PSI.

Keeping the tires well inflated helps mileage and saves gas.

Last edited by Nonefornow on 17-May-2022 at 10:52 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 18-May-2022 3:41:05
#6 ]
Elite Member

Nonefornow Quote:

The tires on my car say do not inflate more than 40PSI.

Keeping the tires well inflated helps mileage and saves gas.

Better gas mileage is only achieved when the tires are on the ground and remain inflated. Do not inflate car tires to 340PSI if you want them to remain inflated! Semi truck tires are usually inflated to about 100PSI when loaded and commercial airplane tires are usually inflated to about 200PSI for comparison.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle