Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Diane:  50 secs ago
 BigD:  2 mins ago
 VooDoo:  4 mins ago
 A1200:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 retrofaza:  21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Who still uses their Amiga actively and what do they do with it?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Karlos 
Who still uses their Amiga actively and what do they do with it?
Posted on 4-Jun-2022 21:05:33
#1 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

So, this is not a poll. I'm just interested to hear who still uses their Amiga in 2022, how much and what for.

For the purposes of this discussion, Amiga means any Amiga or Amiga-like system, including but not limited to:

Original hardware, FPGA clones, accelerators
AmigaOS4 compatibles
MorphOS compatibles
AROS (any platform)
Emulation (any platform)

However you get your fix, it's all good.

I'll go first. Due to seismic shifts in life responsibilities I rarely use my actual hardware any more. I imaged my hard drives so that I can dip in using emulation. I miss the real thing, but it's not practical just now. When I was an active user, I used my machines daily. Mostly, I'd spend my time coding, using OctaMED SS and various art packages (more often to create art assets for crazy coding ideas than actual art).

For me, the Amiga was like an instrument you could just pick up and play and the ideas would flow. I could spend entire evenings coding away with no particular objective other than seeing of something was possible or not. No other platform gives me that same feeling. Linux is OK, a solid workhorse but it doesn't click in quite the same way for me.

Last edited by Karlos on 04-Jun-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Last edited by Karlos on 04-Jun-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
redfox 
Re: Who still uses their Amiga actively and what do they do with it?
Posted on 4-Jun-2022 22:56:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I use my AmigaOS4 compatible approx 4 days a week, mostly for surfing the Amiga websites, tinkering with ARexx, writing, painting and playing my favourite games.

I use IBrowse, Odyssey, NetSurf, NotePad, Final Writer 97, PPaint, TVPaint, IgnitionOS4 spreadsheet program, AOrganiser, AmigaAMP and DvPlayer.

I tinker with ARexx, RxMUI and ProAction.

Years ago, I installed e-uae on this machine, so I could run some old favourites under emulation. At that time it was for AmigaOS 3.1.

Last year I installed AmigaOS 3.2 to use with e-uae.

redfox

Last edited by redfox on 04-Jun-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 04-Jun-2022 at 11:03 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 4-Jun-2022 23:18:46
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I like this attitude and I agree completely.

Quote:

For the purposes of this discussion, Amiga means any Amiga or Amiga-like system, including but not limited to:

Original hardware, FPGA clones, accelerators
AmigaOS4 compatibles
MorphOS compatibles
AROS (any platform)
Emulation (any platform)

However you get your fix, it's all good.

redfox

P.S.

My ancient A2000HD is currently retired.
My ancient MicroA1 is my active AmigaOS4 compatible.
I also have some liveCD's for AROS which I use on an old laptop.

Last edited by redfox on 05-Jun-2022 at 12:28 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 04-Jun-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 4-Jun-2022 23:22:48
#4 ]

X1000 (AmigaOS).

Making music, storing notes, storing and watching pictures and programming.

Nonefornow 
Posted on 4-Jun-2022 23:48:28
#5 ]

@Karlos

Currently using:

Amiga 1000 - mainly to play original games on diskettes that cannot installed on HD. Also I always take that machine to C= event to exhibit. It uses a regular TV.

Amiga 2000 - this is my current being set up machine. I recently disposed the original HD and changed to a SCSI2SD card. With some classical applications like Deluxe Music, DeluxePaint, Personal Page, Distant Suns, and a couple of Mandelbrot programs. I am also installing WHDLoad with all the NTSC games. I also bring this one as exhibit to various events. It uses a C1084s monitor.

IBM laptop with Amiga Forever (and soon AROS) - refer to my other threads for that.

P.S. I should mention that on a somewhat regular basis I tinker around with my C128DCR. It sports a 16MB RamLink, an 8GB SD2IEC drive, mouse, and C1084 monitor. and external power speakers.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 0:37:20
#6 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Amiga500, my friend, as an object of worship (As I touched on previously in this interview).

Emulation for nostalgia.

So, you see, it's all about...

Love
Devotion
Feeling
Emotion

A return to innocence.

/mega!!!

agami 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 3:45:50
#7 ]

@Karlos

I have very little time to indulge in non-work related activities, but when I do on occasion engage with anything Amiga:
- I turn on the A4000 several times a year to play some classic games
- I've turned on the Vampire SA V4+ several times over the past year or so to do some updates and see the progress of that platform
- I keep my Amiga Forever updated every time I get an email of a new release, but I haven't used the emulation in years
- I have not yet turned on The A500 mini. Still sitting in its box
- I have stored away the other classic Amiga systems, and MorphOS systems.

Basically, I like to have the options available to me for that hopeful, semi-fictional, future point in time when I will have the time to mess around with Amiga-related systems.

cdimauro 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 5:15:42
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos: I only use WinUAE from time to time.

"Emulation is the way"...

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 6:40:16
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I use Pegasos 2 mostly to play games during weekends. If there is some game I want to play and it is available for OS4/emulation etc., I choose this Pegasos above all other computers in my household. Right now, I'm playing Jedi Outcast.

I also like programming in AMOS. For that purpose I use my cheap notebook with WinUAE.

My "classic" Amiga computers (A500, A1200/030) are in a safe storage, I didn't turn them on for years.

QBit 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 7:23:54
#10 ]

@all
I have an Amiga 1200 with MC68030 128 MB!

I use WinUAE. And I like to spend Money on Amiga things .. donating here and there,
It`s a religious thing based on facts and Mysterys for me

.I am actually waiting for Something! Everybody says Amiga is dead. I am waiting for it to comeback like Jesus. Jesus was a simple man. Crucified in vain. and now he has billions of Fans,
The Amiga Scene has Preachers Doers and even martyrs. People would devote their lives to Amiga if they hadn`t other Jobs to do. It`s Madness, Hell and Paradise!

Amiga and Computers in General have the Power to save the World and to destroy it!

Anybody prays it`s own way hope and doubt and fullfilness. All that "Amiga makes it possible"

It`s an epic Odyssey Drama Comedy Show full of Art, Science and Philosophy.
One day the Amiga will be in the Louvre running Juggler Demo! hahahahahahaha

Many want to bring it down but the faith is so extremley Strong, It slips away like an eel from the Hands of the people that want to grab it. Amiga has no Mercy and is Mercy at the same Time.

It`s a mental Drug without Substance! Amiga has more Power than Scientology because Amiga transcended Computer Industry as a whole! Amiga is a Cosmic Trigger. The Booster Detonation of Computer and ART! MUSIC! AND SCIENCE! Nothing more and nothing less! Science keeps it`s Pages Simple! BOINC Projects have simple Pages! Dunno why!

http://asteroidsathome.net/

Treasure

Amiga Arena
Chaos Pro

Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:29 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:25 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 7:41:48
#11 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

Quote:
Everybody says Amiga is dead. I am waiting for it to comeback...

It never died but it is no longer mainstream. Even so it has had a limited mainstream comeback in THEA500 Mini. Buy one show your friends and the 'comeback' will be greater! Since the Amiga companies haven't come to a legal agreement the 'boost effect' will not be felt by the likes of AmigaKit, Hyperion and A-EON but they COULD have sold some A1222 Plus machines or some Vampire V4 Stand Alones if they'd had their heads screwed on!

Stephen Jones had more chance of seeing a boost to sales than the official Amiga(One) parties as it currently stands. For interest, what exactly is AmigaKit's big money spinner right now do you think?

Last edited by BigD on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 05-Jun-2022 at 07:42 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 7:45:32
#12 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

... heck AmigaKit could have actually sold THEA500 Mini offering some support and maybe even some hardware hacks!

QBit 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 7:59:22
#13 ]

@BigD

Face it there are things you can`t buy, and that is what the Amiga Scene really wants Something that doesn*t come to Existence! So it trys to see what is possible!

The big Money wants tp control the Excitement. And make Money out of it. The Computer Market is saturated. Xbox Series X and PS5 have the Role of Amiga today! They don`t want clever and free People that do Organize in a Scene!

The Hype of the Rich is AI! The Problem is they don`t ####ing really know what to use it for except of trying to Control the People!

I have a Use Case for AI

for Example https://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlight/eah/
hahahahaha

Make BOINC for AROS *lol*

Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:02 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 8:12:19
#14 ]
Elite Member

@QBit

However, as a group of survivors with some genuinely inventive and positive people we are not good at making the most of the amazing range of products and activity that still surrounds this supposedly 'dead' platform!

Have a great day using your machines!

kolla 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 8:17:16
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I use mines as “frontends” to modern systems. All my amiga systems are connected to some *ix system (“pi” built into case, or remote over bluetooth/rs232), and I find great joy in writing scripts on the Amiga side that use rsh + (curl, kubectl, linode-cli, doctl, or even ssh) to control “cloud” resources and my own servers (among them a freebsd qnap in the basement that holds an aminet mirror) and attach them to Workbench menues, DOpus5 listers, MUIRexx frontends or whatever. Thanks to squirt (https://github.com/alpine9000/squirt) connecting to the Amiga to execute commands or pull/push files from remote is now a breeze, so I’ve also put together some stuff for controlling Amiga from remote, like a “shortcut” on the iphone that pops up a list of all my amiga systems, and when I pick one, via ssh jump hosts and squirt tells the Amiga to make take screenshot, which is pulled onto linux side, converted to png, doubled in height if ratio suggests so, and base64 encoded to stdout, which the iphone can read and convert back to an image, which I then immediately can pastr into discord or whatever. One thing I have been pondering on doing for quite a few years is to set up a virtual private legacy (ipv4, rf1918) LAN for all the Amiga systems, so they all see each other “on the cable” and then try out Envoy on that. Using for example Nebula by Slack. Showstopper last time I had a serious look at this, was that they didn’t support running on IPv6-only hosts (and I’ve had native IPv6 at home from my provider for decades), but I think that has changed now.

Oh, and aside from all this… I use Amiga for instant fun like painting, animations (DPaint and PPaint), and music (MLine, OctaMED). Occasionally I may also play some game, but often that just ends up with Worms DC as screenblanker, with only computer players :)

Last edited by kolla on 05-Jun-2022 at 08:33 AM.

VooDoo 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 8:49:04
#16 ]

@Karlos

x5000 AmigaOS4.1 happy user

playing music, surfing, mail, playing games, editing some html, etc...but, yeah I am using Amiga every day and I like to do that!

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich :)

Croatian Amiga portal

amigang 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 10:05:56
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

So i must admit over the last year i gone pretty much just emulation, play games, mods, program a bit , this is between my main PC and my pi400/amikit setup that i do use more just for gaming as there is still a few JIT 68k bugs compare to the very stable WinUAE version.

I use my x1000 now only when something new come along for os4, so it getting rare. Plus i still suffer from the odd hard crash no idea why.

Want to make a game some point.

My classic real Amiga I haven’t used much at all in a while, I have a1200 power tower 68030, 16mb, system, that since I cloned my hard drive / setup to my emulation about 6 years ago, I haven’t used since. My original a1200 I got as a kid, not used even longer and the final Amiga I own cd32, I use to use now and again for gaming but since I got the pi400 again that just sitting there too.

Last edited by amigang on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:37 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 12:25:03
#18 ]
Elite Member

I have an a1200 +40mhz '040, an old i7-870@4.6ghz running AROS, a MOS system , an OS4 system, a Mister, and an a500 mini and theyre all used as good retro platforms.
There's lots of classic old Amiga software. Even things like Doom, Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Strife, Blood, etc.... they dont run on modern systems, and AmigaOS and derivatives are good retro OSes, so I prefer to use them to for this type of old software than something like MS-DOS.

It's also just good fun to see what you can squeeze out of archaic systems.

I dont really use OS4 or MOS much, simply because they dont perform nearly as well as AROS for my interests, even for older software. They dont offer anything close to being as useful as even a mobile phone, let alone a modern pc for anything remotely modern, so while I like to tinker with them at times they just dont really have any use other than tinkering. Im a best tool for the job type person. The "NG" options are nothing other than a nice host for retro computing and AROS does this better than the others (the hardware available to it at least).

I dont really use the A500 mini much either, but I have delegated it the role of my cd32 gaming machine.
Runs its software well enough and very low power consumption. Seems a waste to start up a desktop system with fully fledged OS just to play some CD32 games and I have zero desire to spend the money required on a cd32 again, just to play my cd32 games collection.

Karlos 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 19:47:49
#19 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@kolla

Have you considered a career in DevOps? Sounds like it would be right up your street.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 19:52:04
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I’m pretty sure he is deep into IT stuff at work.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle