Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Allanon,  Beamish2040

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beamish2040:  1 min ago
 Allanon:  2 mins ago
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 amigagr:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  46 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rudei:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Re: MOS?
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 17:10:15
#121 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

ZORRAM

Profile     Report this post  
Neuf 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 17:58:28
#122 ]

@Matt3k

Unfortunately Morphos like AOS and Aros is EOL. I personally like Morphos. However all the machines I had that could run MorphOS have been sent to the recycling centre years ago. I would expect that of the 500 or more X5000's built most already run MorphOS. The rest won't run MorphOS if hell froze over. These are a tiny minority.

The main problem with MorphOS is like AOS is that it is EOL. The reason for that is simple. The Graphics system is obsolete. Amigakit has extensively tested MorphOS, so we know what its strengths and weaknesses are.

We'll believe the AMD thing when we see it. I have some serious doubts as to whether it will ever ship.

We are in fact developing a new OS to essentially replace OS4. There have been some hints that it may be ported to ARM.

In conclusion I can say that those people who ca, are already using MorphOS--the rest of us are heading in a different direction.

Matt3k 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 19:22:08
#123 ]

@Neuf

Interesting. Sounds like you are in the 'know' with this and I'm just an end user that has been around a long time and tried them all...

Really a shame that another new OS has to be created segmenting the aging base more. Amiga and it's options by it's nature are obsolete because some of the code I run was compiled in the 90's, although much of what I run is compiled in MOS. Amiga users would benefit most from more applications and not more OS options.

Wish you well on your development regardless. Who knows, maybe I will pick up a copy when it's ready...

Rob 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 19:29:32
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Neuf

Quote:

I don't think Trevor is involved in this. I think this is Amigakit's idea. A port to ARM is not without its pitfalls either. There is a very significant problem with graphics on ARM Socks. Hans seems to be very aware of this. Since he is aware,I believe the situation is in hand.

We are not talking about porting OS4 here. This would only be possible because we are talking V54 here. V54 has to be completed with all the code owned by Amigakit. Incidentally, he cannot use Exec SG. because it is part of OS4. In fact, he can't use any code developed by Amiga developers who have worked for any firm developing code for AmigaOS. As far as I know he caant even use any code developed by you.

Who's funding this if Trevor isn't involved and what OS4/V54 software does Amigakit own versus what A-EON owns?

Rob 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 19:38:23
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

Quote:
@Neuf Interesting. Sounds like you are in the 'know' with this and I'm just an end user that has been around a long time and tried them all...

If you can use aRadeon card with 4.1FE and Enhancer2 software on the TABOR

I don't think these sound like the words of somebody in the know.

cdimauro 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 20:38:04
#126 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@OlafS25

Because it has not become the dominant flavour of Amiga Operating System and is not used by the majority of current Amiga owners = failed!

Actually AROS is also used on Vampire boards, so it might be that its full (and active) user base is greater than the one of OS4, MorphOS, or even both together.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 20:52:10
#127 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

It my understanding that most Vampire users switch to the pirated OS3.9 distro CoffinOS the first opportunity that they get and would prefer an OS 3.2 variant if it was available!

I am a fine one to talk as I have no problem using AMiNIMiga on THEA500 Mini but then I do own OS3.9 on CD-Rom and an OS3.1 install CD/Eyetech Floppy set.

Matt3k 
Posted on 6-Aug-2022 22:04:39
#128 ]

@Rob

He sounded like he was part of the development team based on how I read it...

"The main problem with MorphOS is like AOS is that it is EOL. The reason for that is simple. The Graphics system is obsolete. Amigakit has extensively tested MorphOS, so we know what its strengths and weaknesses are."

"We are in fact developing a new OS to essentially replace OS4. There have been some hints that it may be ported to ARM."

Last edited by Matt3k on 06-Aug-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 06-Aug-2022 at 11:33 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 0:21:10
#129 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

If he was part of the development team he be under NDA.

I'd also expect him to know that the video card drivers that come with Enhancer work properly on A1222 it can run Warp 3D Nova software and play 4K video files. I've picked that up from videos posted on Youtube by Dan and Trevor over the past number of years without having some kind of special access to Amigakit or A-EON's core plans.

In the past he's often stopped posting in threads where not everone takes his posts at face value so it's worth taking his posts with big pinch of salt.

He's free to prove me wrong and provide something to substantiate his claims if he presenting them as something other than speculation.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 0:40:14
#130 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Matt3k

Quote:
@Neuf Interesting. Sounds like you are in the 'know' with this and I'm just an end user that has been around a long time and tried them all...

If you can use aRadeon card with 4.1FE and Enhancer2 software on the TABOR

I don't think these sound like the words of somebody in the know.

And:

Neuf wrote:
The Pi4/400 use standard HDMI graphics so I believe they should be […] equal to the standard graphics of the Tabor. […] I have been assuming TABOR users will be using HDMI graphics.

HDMI-graphics!

Matt3k 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 1:45:51
#131 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 6-Aug-2022 17:09:50

MILDLY HUMOROUS PADDING

Matt3k 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 1:52:19
#132 ]

@Rob

Your avatar is awesome and the favorite of my family! What is doggie wearing?

Last edited by Matt3k on 07-Aug-2022 at 01:54 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 3:32:23
#133 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

You seem to have a very misguided and uninformed perspective of AROS.
ABIv1 has never stopped being developed. The "true" state of of AROS is far from what the distros suggest.
Deadwoods recent abiv0 update has over 1000 updates that come from abiv1, and that is only partway to bridging the gap.

Your assumption is reasonable if you only fleetingly follow something, but its far from the reality of things.

Also, do you not see and/or understand why MOS might seem to be more consistently moving forward when you invest most of your time and energy into it? (hint: the answer is contained within the question).

And the point was the potential of what can happen anyway. Open source means anyone could contribute on a whim. Potentially thousands of developers contributing vs the handful of a closed source Amiga-noid OS.
Granted the idea of thousands of developers is veeeeery unlikely, but next to no chance gives something infinitely more likelyhood than zero chance, which is why open source is Amiga OS and derivatives only chance to be more than retro, archaic systems.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 07-Aug-2022 at 03:43 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 6:06:05
#134 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis: correct.

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@cdimauro

It my understanding that most Vampire users switch to the pirated OS3.9 distro CoffinOS the first opportunity that they get and would prefer an OS 3.2 variant if it was available!

I don't think that it's most of users which is doing it, because this way they'll get rid of some improvements that the Vampire team is doing for supporting or better supporting the new hardware features.

The official Vampire o.s. is AROS (a fork, to be more precise) and if it the team decided to go for this way instead of patching Amiga o.s. 3.1 they should have had very strong reasons, right?
Quote:
I am a fine one to talk as I have no problem using AMiNIMiga on THEA500 Mini but then I do own OS3.9 on CD-Rom and an OS3.1 install CD/Eyetech Floppy set.

See above: nobody stops you to do it, but you lose some features / benefits.

Kronos 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 6:34:37
#135 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

Open source means anyone could contribute on a whim. Potentially thousands of developers contributing vs the handful of a closed source Amiga-noid OS.

Sure, now just look at any decent size project and you find that it is actually a small group doing the work restricting upload access to everyone else who hasn't been invited.

That is what kinda happens with MorphOS and if you have proven your worth you will get access, if not not you won't be able to confuse users with releasing a questionable fork.

On AROS it seems that everyone and his cat is doing his own fork/distros while noone bothers to make the whole thing useable.

Thats why clear project guidance is the only chance to more than a useless developer toy for any bigger project.

Wether that is done by keeping some parts closed source or restricting upload access is of minor interest.

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 10:57:50
#136 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos: project guidance helps, but it's NOT the only way.

Last edited by cdimauro on 07-Aug-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 11:07:17
#137 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

*shrug*

As much as I am "in the scene" I wouldn't know where to start with AROS, I wouldn't know how to make that useable etc etc

I did install/test various version of it over the past 20 years and a few hours to weeks for me to abandon it everytime, always with the same tune "o.k. nice but what can I actually do with it".

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 11:47:50
#138 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos, sorry, but I don't get it.

You have www.aros.org which is the reference site.

From the home page, you can click on the topmost links:
http://www.aros.org/introduction/index.php
http://www.aros.org/download.php
https://ae.amigalife.org

However, and specifically, what's not clear to you about this:

"Distributions are preconfigured, and tested, versions of AROS. They contain a lot of useful 3rd party applications that don't come with the default AROS.org binaries, and will be of great interest to users.

They often may not have the latest core system components, but should offer better stability and user-friendliness than the nightly builds. If you are a user interested in checking what AROS has to offer, you are highly recommended to use distributions, to get the most complete AROS experience."

which is found on the home page?

Matt3k 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 15:36:39
#139 ]

@fishy_fis

Good points, not sure I would agree with very misguided but perhaps uninformed would fit .

I didn't realize the distros we far off of development. You are correct in that I don't monitor (Fleetingly seems to fit here) what is going on every day, to be fair that is the very same for MorphOS. I can go months without checking in on the status of MorphOS, but it is extremely easy to see what release they are on and what the benefits are. Iris and Wayfayer will notify me if a newer release is available as well. MorphOS is a tool to get my work done at the end of the day, not a hobby. I use it everyday for work and it does the job.

I tried different options over the recent years to use as a production system to get stuff done. I setup different environments to test to see what I could use. From my testing, there really wasn't much of a choice.

Again, given what MorphOS accomplished, I find it hard to make a firm argument that only open source is the future given where we are at today. Sure, from a hypothetical perspective the argument makes perfect sense, but I would be surprised if the latest deadwood you reference is at the same level with applications and OS as MorphOS. If it is great, I will check it out for sure but if I have to skin x86 apps to use an email client or browser, it isn't my cup of tea really...

As I type this I realize that I like that Morphos is a 'company' and that it has an order to it. I bought the OS licenses, I go to a website to see the latest release, and they have a support mechanism to help. Since it is all controlled and centralized it just works well for me. It is a professional experience from their website to the OS itself.

Last edited by Matt3k on 07-Aug-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 07-Aug-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 15:57:35
#140 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

http://www.aros.org/download.php

O.k. here I find what?

5 distros of which atleast one is dead and another oudated.
With the rest it is bit confusing what they are/do x86/68k? Hostet, native or for a VM?

Followed 2 Nightly Builds and 2 Snapshots.

On the contrary, you will find just 1 (public) MorphOS version and clean lists on what HW is supported and what SW is included.

The hurdle might not be that high but it is there and most people just won't bother going over it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle