Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  12 mins ago
 DWolfman:  21 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 15 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  RadeonHD driver confusion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 6-Oct-2022 11:58:39
#41 ]
Elite Member

@PixelHi

Many Radeon R7 240 and R7 250 cards wont work with the Sam460ex currently so it can be trial and error.

I am using a RadeonHD 8570 for testing.
As of this morning with a updated beta version of the RadeonHD V5 driver it is working very well .
Compositing gui prefs and Interrupts .
Warp3DNova and accelerated video up to to 720p .
Both DVPlayer and Emotion.

RadonHD 8570 model

Using a DP to DVI cable.

Profile     Report this post  
PixelHi 
Posted on 6-Oct-2022 13:07:07
#42 ]

@Spectre660

Great thank you for suggestion. I have some Radeon 5450 and 4xxx and something else lying around on my pile of useless hardware😁. If none will work I will get 8570, on ebay those quite cheap.

Thank you!

I think I will create new thread.. Sam460 most optimal hardware selection 🙄

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Oct-2022 14:54:43
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
I think I mixed up your comment and billt's, who did seem to ask about the RadeonRX driver.

Ah ok. Yes he did. He was asking what Rx meant and if it related to RX. So in any case it is relevant. Unfortunately, as I found, both Rx and RX terms are used in OS4 Radeon driver info as well Radeon GPU info.

Quote:
It doesn't go full-screen, because WipeOut is hard-coded for a big-endian 16-bit screen which aren't available on newer graphics cards.

Okay. So how is it rendered into a window? Does it need the Workbench screen to be RGB16BE?

If not, when that mode doesn't exist, how is it rendered into a window on a framebuffer of different format? And can this or some kind of compositing or conversion be performed to render it on a foreign screen? With scaling if needed.

Last edited by Hypex on 07-Oct-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 8-Oct-2022 13:04:52
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Okay. So how is it rendered into a window? Does it need the Workbench screen to be RGB16BE?

If not, when that mode doesn't exist, how is it rendered into a window on a framebuffer of different format? And can this or some kind of compositing or conversion be performed to render it on a foreign screen? With scaling if needed.

The Workbench screen can be 16 or 32-bit. I don't know exactly what it does, but it's most likely rendering to a 16-bit back-buffer, which is then copied into the window. The GPU handles the conversion.

Yes, the same conversion during copy to the screen could theoretically work for full-screen, but it might not be needed. It could be as easy as patching the binary to look for a 16-bit little-endian mode instead of big-endian. If the game's intro copies 16-bit bitmaps directly to the screen, then those would be messed up (I've seen that done before). However, the game itself would work just fine.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Oct-2022 11:12:33
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
The Workbench screen can be 16 or 32-bit. I don't know exactly what it does, but it's most likely rendering to a 16-bit back-buffer, which is then copied into the window. The GPU handles the conversion.

Okay, that makes sense, since the 3d needs to be rendered. Unlike copper lists that can render live.

Quote:
Yes, the same conversion during copy to the screen could theoretically work for full-screen, but it might not be needed. It could be as easy as patching the binary to look for a 16-bit little-endian mode instead of big-endian. If the game's intro copies 16-bit bitmaps directly to the screen, then those would be messed up (I've seen that done before). However, the game itself would work just fine.

Patching seems a bit hacky. But if the source is unavailable I can see why. Good to know is how it copies the bitmaps, directly or using Warp3d or OS. In any case something would need to intervene and convert it. Be easier even if a virtual big endian mode could exist that did it when prompted.

The P96 FakeNative modes did something similar for planar to conversion,

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle