Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  5 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  45 mins ago
 retrofaza:  57 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Trevor Dickinson nominated for comment of the year! :-)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )
PosterThread
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Re: Trevor Dickinson nominated for comment of the year!
Posted on 18-Nov-2022 22:30:34
#301 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
@ppcamiga1

You're so full of sh!t, I don't know how there's any space left for your viscera. What have you developed, in any high level language, that is so unutterably badly designed and implemented that it actually has a hard dependency on the host endianness and pointer size that can't be resolved with either compile time switches, target detection, configure script or failing all else, a runtime check on a union and providing alternative functions for endian dependent data manipulation?

If the answer isn't "nothing", then you should give up because software development isn't for you.

Endianness is not the issue people make it out to be. MC64K is intentionally coupled to 64-bit little endian hosts. That was a design choice for the least amount of indirection on the target architecture. Nevertheless, I can count the locations in the code I'd need to change to get it building on 32-bit hosts, little or big endian, on my fingers. Most application software and libraries are one or more orders of magnitude less dependent on endiannes than this.

Quote:
Let everybody use graphics that they want.

Good luck with that if you are insisting on 32-bit address spaces for everything. Most current generation GPUs tend to ship with more than 4GB of memory on them to start with. I suppose the extra memory is just like those extra cores you can't make any use of.

Profile     Report this post  
agami 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 1:44:35
#302 ]

@Karlos

Quote:
Karlos wrote:
@ppcamiga1

What have you developed, in any high level language, that is so unutterably badly designed and implemented that it actually has a hard dependency on the host endianness and pointer size that can't be resolved with either compile time switches, target detection, configure script or failing all else, a runtime check on a union and providing alternative functions for endian dependent data manipulation?

If the answer isn't "nothing", then you should give up because software development isn't for you.

Quote:
Let everybody use graphics that they want.

Good luck with that if you are insisting on 32-bit address spaces for everything. Most current generation GPUs tend to ship with more than 4GB of memory on them to start with. I suppose the extra memory is just like those extra cores you can't make any use of.

We don't need no water let the [expletive deleted] BURN!

This energy.

Last edited by agami on 19-Nov-2022 at 01:45 AM.

Karlos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 9:12:51
#303 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@agami

It's the same bullshit trope every time with this cretin. He needs to get some new material.

paolone 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 10:32:01
#304 ]

@ppcamiga1

Quote:
This means no x86, no arm, no risc-v

and no market.

paolone 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 10:46:36
#305 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
IT'S THE OS, STUPID.
At this point, it's the OS that makes a device, and the experience you'll get from it.

I can't agree more. As I have always said, my A150 netbook with Icaros Desktop is the most similar thing I have to my old A1200 with hard drive.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 13:27:50
#306 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
He needs to get some new material

I'm not sure new material is possible when so desperately clutching at straws.
He's inadvertently conceding the singular pro of ppc when it comes to anything Amiga related is sharing byte ordering with 68k.
Seems oblivious to the fact though. Singular blind focus will do that.

Karlos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 14:21:52
#307 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@fishy_fis

He's just a troll. Except he fails at that because his trolling isn't remotely amusing, controversial or original. He's more of a tired clown with just a big endian bicycle horn to toot and the 32-bit spinning bowtie.

He pops up, craps on the original Amiga hardware and goes on to say that PPC is the rightful heir, or that Commodore would've picked to supercede 68K (despite it being common knowledge that Hombre was based on PA RISC), toots the horn, spins the tie and is laughed off as the pathetic cringeworthy spectacle draws to the same close as always

fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Nov-2022 15:30:31
#308 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Absolutely.
Its just mildly entertaining to point out flaws in his methods from time to time.

I do wonder if he takes himself seriously though.
Part of me thinks there's no way that he can and that he's just trying to rub people up the wrong way, but I have encountered some unfathomably, err, let's say "special" people in this community on occasion, and given how obsessively he focuses on the same things (trolls who stir for their own entertainment tend to evolve their efforts) I suspect he may be genuinely delusional.
It's either that or he's just dim witted with his efforts to antagonize.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 19-Nov-2022 at 03:31 PM.

agami 
Posted on 20-Nov-2022 1:00:28
#309 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:
I do wonder if he takes himself seriously though.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be an act, but my analysis thus far is that he really believes in what he is stating, or at the very least he has successfully convinced himself to believe in it.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 20-Nov-2022 1:48:26
#310 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@agami

An act is something,
friend Agami,
that one might be able to carry over in one specific place, wink wink nudge indeed nudge,

but our fastidious prairie dog has been ranting on multiple fora,
and banned already from a few of them.

I would say that he's not pretending and slash or trolling,
and after all - why would you be surprised?

Did you take a gander at the parade of freaks we host already
in this Amiga World that David Doyle originally founded for us?

People who hear voices in their heads,
people imagining murders,
feverish cult leaders.

Come on.

/m!

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Nov-2022 11:39:26
#311 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
When people describe the Amiga it's generally in terms of it's custom hardware and OS together. The CPU was not custom, it was off the shelf and widely available and widely used at the time.

It was but there was more variety back then also. 8 bit was still in use by popular microcomputers. For 16 bit or better you had other choices including what endian you want.

Quote:
How ironic to have the above sentiment when every "modern" PPC Amiga derivative has that in reverse. The off the shelf CPU has been replaced with a ball and chain made of gold and all the unique custom hardware has been replaced with the same commodity components found in any PC.

It's still an off the shelf CPU, since they didn't have it custom made, it's just now days it's an embedded CPU for a shrinking market and expensive.

But, you look the Amiga market in the end days, and it's exactly that. The last of the modern Amigas was all about replacing the custom hardware with commodity hardware. PPC cards to add a faster CPU coprocessor. The Mediator was designed for plugging in cheap PC hardware to replace the Amiga chipset. Sound. Video. Even TV cards to replace RGB out and genlock. Now days there are FPGA or embedded emulators to replace the CPU. The AmigaOne boards took that to completion by removing what was replaced. It was a more practical solution doing it on one board over needing an Amiga, a PCI busboard and a custom case.

My AmigaOne XE setup was likely cheaper than buying a Mediator, 800Mhz PPC accelerator board and customised case even without factoring in the cost of the A1200.

Quote:
OS4 already is running on PCs, it's just that they aren't using the right processor to go with them.

What is the right processor for a PC?

I used to think that if you took the HDD out of an AmigaOne case there's nothing Amiga about it. But, there still is, in the firmware. Since UBoot can read an Amiga RDB right there in the ROM which no common PC can. So, take the HDD AND UBoot chip out of an AmigaOne board and THEN there's nothing Amiga about it.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Nov-2022 5:45:15
#312 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:

MEGA_RJ_MICAL wrote:
Quote:
The first quirk is a technique that Factor 5 borrowed from operating systems. When Windows runs out of memory, it maps a page file to the local HDD or SSD and uses it as essentially very slow "extra ram". The page file isn't actually memory, as the CPU can't see it as memory, but by swapping data back and forth between the page file in storage and system memory, the CPU is able to utilize the page file as "extra ram" in emergencies. Factor 5, naturally, wanted more memory than the 24MB of system memory the GameCube has, so used this technique to tap into the DSP's 16MB of ARAM.

I am all out of words.
What can I say more, it's like a disease.
Will someone step in and take it from here?

Thanks,

M. RJM

Some Nintendo's PowerPC games like Cars 2 utilize PPC MMU. https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-mmu

From the 2016 era, Memory Management Unit Emulation information can be found at https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/09/06/booting-the-final-gc-game/

Dolphin is able to emulate the MMU with several degrees of accuracy based on theories of how the game is going to behave.

Before Fiora and other's efforts to optimize the JIT and MMU emulation, Enable MMU was a death sentence to the playability of a game.

Typically, the Far Code Cache along with other JIT optimizations averaged a nearly 100% performance boost in all of the games requiring Enable MMU, even throwing out Rogue Squadron 3 as an outlier. This is why today people on powerful computers can at least stand a chance at the MMU enabled titles.

In Closing
With this rewrite, Dolphin has taken another big leap in accuracy under the hood. While most users shouldn't see a difference, a few random crashes here and there should be sorted out. It's bittersweet in a way, while it is a momentous occasion to get the last GameCube game booting, it also denotes that there aren't many huge mysteries remaining. While some games still crash, and there are a lot of issues to still tackle, there are no completely broken games that make zero sense remaining.

Dolphin's MMU emulation should be able to handle any retail game at this point. The only people that could possibly break it would be Factor 5, and it's not like they made any Wii games...

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Nov-2022 at 06:00 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Nov-2022 at 05:49 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Nov-2022 at 05:48 AM.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 18-Dec-2022 11:19:33
#313 ]
Cult Member

x86/arm/riscv followers was told many times what they should do.
Good open source amiga gui and graphics replacements.
they do nothing. In 1996 was no good open source MUI clone.
2022 ends and still there is not good open source MUI clone.
everthing below amiga gui and graphics shold be replaced by unix.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 18-Dec-2022 11:22:42
#314 ]
Cult Member

chipset has no support for 256 and hi color. None active elements.
So I don't care if amiga has chipset or no.
Only cpu matter. Classic Amiga have to have 32 bit big endian cpu.

kolla 
Posted on 18-Dec-2022 21:33:11
#315 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Didn’t you hear? MUI itself was announced as open source at Amiga 37 :)

https://www.amigascene.nl/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1008

So… there’s that.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle