Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  48 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Has anyone had their Xmas whishes come true by receiving their SAM460LE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Rob 
Re: Has anyone had their Xmas whishes come true by receiving their SAM460LE?
Posted on 17-Feb-2023 18:04:11
#61 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
There is no video acceleration on AmigaOnes period in hardware unless you own Enhancer and the right video card and I'm not even sure that's tailored for the low end Sams

Polaris cards work in the Sam460 but it requires a little more effort to set up due Uboot not seeing the cards and OS4FE not coming with a version of the required RX driver.

A Sam460 with a Polaris card handles video playback in hardware just fine.

Kas1e did a great video showing a full system build, OS installation and configuration, with a performance test at the end. I've linked to the final section of the video in case the rest of the video doesn't interest you.

https://youtu.be/X75KbnOpZhA?t=2223

Quote:
Can you get a 040 in the nice Boing Ball case like the X5000/020 came in any more?

Relec use the same Fractal Design case but with a side window and Relec's own styling.

https://www.relec.ch/fr/produit/amigaone-x5000-limited-edition/

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 17-Feb-2023 19:02:12
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

Quote:
technically if my old Radeon and last radeon card bought since now I am enjoying what nvidia has to offer for windows machines regarding gaming, is the R9 380, which I could try to see if it works, despite not being on Hans De Ruiters list of cards, after all, I havent gone out of my way, its just sitting there.

It's best to use the 7770 since that's based on GCN 1 micro-architecture, The R9 380 uses GCN 3 which isn't suppored by the driver.

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Feb-2023 20:00:16
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

This issue was minimized/fixed with the release of AmigaOS 4.1 Update 2 .

Quote:
H.264 4K videos should play back just fine, provided you don't run out of the limited 256 MiB VRAM that's visible to the CPU.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 27-Feb-2023 14:14:50
#64 ]

@AmigaOldskooler

So interestingly enough, and perhaps known within most of the community for daily users, I ended up downloading AmiTube to download youtube videos, and ofcourse they seem to play and work with MickJT Mplayer, but not the other 2, even when I set them up to use Micks Mplayer.

SMTube remains useless for my setup. But whomever did the port appreciate it for the Amiga people who have the BIG BOY POWER amigas, I dont though.

Either way, Happy MickJT Mplayer seems to work, as now I can also resize the videos to a certain extent before ofcourse loosing some quality.

The DV player special edition as well as DV Player (think it was 76?) while they work, the moment you resize, the video remains small and wont resize with the new window.

LASTLY

While I am happy for Entwickler X still being on the market, the Emotion video that Kasle was using, I downloaded the Demo and by golly gosh was not crash hot.

So all In all MickJT Mplayer is there to the rescue, can play multiple instances at once, even at 800mhz, and resize. (Thank you very kindly for you efforts to create a player that works on low end hardware so well, I noticed it uses less CPU than even DV player)

DV Player comes in second, despite not being able to resize video itself, only the player resizes?

While unfortunately Emotion seems to play video and favour video over sound,

So for example, the sound glitches during playback, but yet same video played in Mick JT or DV Player there are no glitches, and that's just with one video playing.

So for the WIN for me for usability at least, I'd have to give it to MickJT Mplayer, as Live for it, and that other Mplayer GUI don't quiet cut the grade for my system for some reason, even when using the MickJT non altivec directly to use Mplayer GUI, the Mplayer GUI just crashes.

All in all its a win for me, after multiple attempts to get video playback like I used to have on a 600mhz 440ep, the Flex now plays video, and it should have played it easier to begin with due to the extra 200mhz, at 800mhz.

Thank you for showing me the kasle youtube video, it made me realise and remember that I too used to be able to play videos (offline) on the 440ep, which made me more determined to get it to work again on this FLEX system.

Unfortunately I suppose now that leaves me with some questions, despite the long essay above, so I will try in dot form :

1 : Where did Kasle get the GPU, CPU and RAM display for his workbench title bar?

2 : I have only CPU info atm in docky, CPU temperature one doesnt seem to work on my system from os4depot, does the CPU temp require altivec, if so that might explain it.

3 : Why was Kasle able to play 2 videos at once with Emotion without sound glitches (in comparison to my system naturally he had a moment glitch here and there when he was multitasking, im talking about Im doing nothing and Emotion sound glitches?)

(EDIT - Ok so only systems that have altivec is x1000 and the original NG hardware a friend told me AFA his aware)

4: Thank you for your time and I am happy I can play videos again.

Last edited by Gebrochen on 01-Mar-2023 at 03:19 PM.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

Gebrochen 
Posted on 1-Mar-2023 13:23:53
#65 ]

@agami

I tend to agree with you on the pricing part, why should we be paying more now for similar hardware? Did they have to do much rework on the new boards?

I presume we are still talking about the sam line of boards?

Unfortunately you are also right in that many end Amiga users may still wish a modern gen hardware, and so they may simply buy one just in case they no longer can even obtain one.

I think I can see a trend here.

SO

(EDIT : after some research seems that if anyone does get more than 800mhz out of their 440's defo let us know, I know hyperclock had an option for 867mhz, but according to wikipedia they were originally designed to be known to go upto 800, that doesnt mean someone hasnt tried and perhaps succeeded to obtain more perhaps)

Has anyone managed to OVERCLOCK a sam440 over the Hyperclock 867mhz threshold?

I ask because I recall myself overclocking various AMD machines in the past with ease squeezing an extra 300 - 700mhz from its original clock, CPU and system dependant naturally. (my fx-8350 ran comfortably at 4.32ghz)

Anyhow, cheers

Last edited by Gebrochen on 01-Mar-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Last edited by Gebrochen on 01-Mar-2023 at 03:23 PM.

AmiKit 12

BigD 
Posted on 1-Mar-2023 13:34:59
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

I think designing a time travelling DeLorean is the way to go when you bump your head on a toilet bowl!

Gebrochen 
Posted on 1-Mar-2023 13:41:29
#67 ]

@Hypex

Happy for you to have a lot of FLOPS... lol, so many that your system even allowed you to continue on with whatever you were doing.

But lest we forget your QT issue how it stalls your x1000 yet some how the humble sam flex managed to unarc and install the QT libraries.... Interesting.

Maybe its not just about mhz VS ghz, but also how the processor handles such instruction sets?

Albeit I would have thought your x1000 has altivec capability? if that holds true then you can play youtube videos from the browser with the way it decodes?

Anyway, interesting, still waiting for your FLOp data out of curiousity. lol

AmiKit 12

Gebrochen 
Posted on 1-Mar-2023 15:13:54
#68 ]

@BigD

haha, here something interesting from wiki : (plus where this came from, scroll down to 460)

Introduced in 2006, the 460 cores are similar to the 440 but reach 1.4 GHz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_400

I guess for now I always got this Flex and a classic to play with in between the Ryzen 9 5900x.

Have a good one

Last edited by Gebrochen on 01-Mar-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Last edited by Gebrochen on 01-Mar-2023 at 03:27 PM.

AmiKit 12

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle