Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  36 mins ago
 Beajar:  48 mins ago
 kriz:  56 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Horrible experience with Amiga Kit
Register To Post

PosterThread
thinkchip 
Horrible experience with Amiga Kit
Posted on 28-Apr-2023 17:24:22
#1 ]

I'm in the heartland of American, where Amiga's go to die. About the only source I have for "new" Amiga paraphernalia is Amiga Kit. Every time I order something it is worse than the last. I realize it's a foreign country (I'm not sure where), so things are "different". Their web site doesn't have any contact info (that you can find). It's like they don't want customers bothering them with problems. I foolishly ordered a couple of things. The payment happened very fast, within a day or two. Then nothing. The website says the order is "pending". I don't know what that means. I've ordered things before. Orders are always pending, even after they've been delivered. They say you'll get an email if orders are "delayed". That is also pretty murky. Three months? Six months? I haven't heard a peep. So, I've basically written the order off. Either I get it or I don't. There is nothing I can do about it. Luckily, it wasn't a lot of money. I'm pretty sure I'll never order anything from them again. I like to help Amiga companies out when I can, but this is just too much.

Then there is the UK post. They hand stuff over to the US postal service at the border and then tracking stops. UK tracking is terrible and meaningless at best, but you don't get any tracking at all after if leaves the country. It could be anywere in the world. And probably is. Traveling the world like a little British tourist.

Which brings up something else. Legitimate companies don't process the payment until the items actually ship. So that means that if the items shipped when the payment was processed I should really be worried. It's been going wherever it's going for weeks now. That's a whole different can of worms. I don't even know where to start if a tried to get a refund. That's a prospect that is really scary.

Last edited by thinkchip on 28-Apr-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Futaura 
Re: Horrible experience with Amiga Kit
Posted on 28-Apr-2023 18:41:19
#2 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:
Then there is the UK post. They hand stuff over to the US postal service at the border and then tracking stops. UK tracking is terrible and meaningless at best, but you don't get any tracking at all after if leaves the country. It could be anywere in the world. And probably is. Traveling the world like a little British tourist.

Depends which service they are using for international orders, I guess. IIRC, the Royal Mail used to track up to leaving the UK, which was a bit useless. However, in August last year, I posted something to the US using Royal Mail Tracked & Signed and I was pleasantly surprised to find full tracking from the UK, the handover to the USPS, customs and full tracking to the delivery address on the RM website. And the same tracking number could even be entered on the USPS website for even more detailed tracking for the US journey.

amigakit 
Posted on 28-Apr-2023 19:15:58
#3 ]
Amiga Kit

@thinkchip

Sorry to hear of your experience

We have our contact information in several places on the website: www.Amigakit.com

If you can send the order number to Support@amigakit.com we will look into this order for you.

Thank you.

Edit: After some research I can see that due to the low value of the order, economy shipping was selected in Checkout. Trackable shipping would be nearly the cost of the items you ordered. Your package was sent and USPS are currently handling it. They are not the fastest at delivery unfortunately.

Last edited by amigakit on 28-Apr-2023 at 07:26 PM.

thinkchip 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 3:45:33
#4 ]

@thread

Checked the AmigaKit web site. There is some history now, since something actually happened. This is the timeline: 3/12, items ordered; 3/13, payment processed and I paid for the items; 4/24 and 4/25, order actually processed by AmigaKit. It was finally shipped on 4/25. That's over 6 weeks from payment to shipping. Since the items weren't shipped, there wouldn't be any tracking info anyway. I would have paid a ton of money for essentially nothing. Obviously, somewhere along the line my small, insignificant order fell through the cracks and nobody cared. For six weeks nothing happened and I didn't know nothing was happening. There is something very ironic about that.

My latest order from Amazon would be delivered a couple days late and they apologized profusely and gave me a gift certificate. I don't even care if it was a robo-apology. It was still an apology. That was nice. There was a well-documented timeline that I could look up myself. I knew exactly what was going on. I only have trouble when I have to deal with foreign countries like China and UK. That is what Americans expect and that is what we get.

If this were actually a review of my AmigaKit shopping experience, I wouldn't be able to rate it, because it isn't over. I haven't got the stuff yet. Incidentally, weeks ago I got tired of waiting for the one item and I bought one on ebay. So I don't even need it anyway. That's ironic too.

Last edited by thinkchip on 29-Apr-2023 at 04:11 AM.

Amiga4000 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 4:36:11
#5 ]

r-tea 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 5:38:54
#6 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:
That's over 6 weeks from payment to shipping. Since the items weren't shipped, there wouldn't be any tracking info anyway

sordan.ie
My $40 Amiga order shipped from Ireland next day after payment.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 5:42:15
#7 ]

Mr. Leeman came from NW America. I don't think he will forget us.

Chris

amigakit 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 9:10:47
#8 ]
Amiga Kit

@thinkchip

Sorry for the delay.

You make a comparison of buying from Amazon. Classic Amiga is a niche marketplace: the margins are low and the time to hand assemble items is significant. The type of component supplies that Amiga requires has become long lead since the pandemic. One of the items you ordered was a preorder - it relies on a Microchip 5V CPLD chip. This has been out of stock since the pandemic and is officially not back into production until end of this year. We have had to buy stock of this from chip brokers. We then hand solder the item in house and flash and test. Searching for reliable stocks across the world has temporarily interrupted our ability to supply certain products.

If the effort we go through to build hundreds of Classic Amiga products every week in house was an easy and profitable task there would be many business like us across the USA.

@r-tea

Many of our orders ship same day to our customers.

Last edited by amigakit on 29-Apr-2023 at 09:14 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 15:59:09
#9 ]
Elite Member

just wanted to add I’ve ordered many items from Amigakit over the years (I’m in Canada) with no issues and I’ve always found the shipping rates to be reasonable. Many times items arrived quicker than local items did and a few times they were delayed but I eventually got them in good condition.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 17:30:16
#10 ]

I would also say that both Amigakit and Amigastore.EU offer different items, Both are good and responsive. I use both...

Chris

PS: we need USB, hint.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Apr-2023 22:22:50
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

AmigaKit always come through in the end but patience with communication is needed.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle