Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  12 mins ago
 Hypex:  21 mins ago
 AndreasM:  21 mins ago
 kolla:  30 mins ago
 Gunnar:  42 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MorphOS 3.18 Released!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Matt3k 
Re: MorphOS 3.18 Released!
Posted on 20-May-2023 1:34:42
#21 ]

@K-L

Good points we should be able to build better bridges between the camps (although I really don't see camps or wars these days...) I haven't run AOS 4.1 in a long time, long time so I really don't know what was in the 2020 release of AOS.

Although I would disagree that a version number indicates feature set and capabilities. I can't even count the individual of point releases of the OS anymore and they tend to be modest in not chasing new major release number and let the OS age with a lot of point releases which is comforting to me at least.

To be fair lots of material changes have have been through the 3 series of MorphOS that could warrant a new version number. MorphOS has been very stable with adding features, hardware, and applications so that it is now at a point to do modern items and have conveniences to get the job done better and still be able to use 68k stuff. Although most of my applications I run on MorphOS are all native, another huge accomplishment as well.

Fine to enjoy either OS, of course.

Did you switch to heatsinks on your 2.7? I would if you haven't the liquid cooling on the PCIX/AGP Macs always leak and cause problems. Pick up a couple of 2.3Ghz heatsinks for a PCIX Mac and it will run cooler and will never leak.

The advantage to AmigaOS 4.x is the video drivers. They are far more capable than the MorphOS drivers. Although Bigfoot is going to release the new radeon drivers, he has already release a few updates to add shaders, etc.

Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 01:45 AM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 01:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
K-L 
Posted on 20-May-2023 8:02:29
#22 ]

@Matt3k

I haven't changed anything on my 2,7 Ghz system. No leaking so far and no problem at all (I check this on a regular basis). Temperatures are maintained low by the fans (thanks to PowerMac7FanControl) :)

And as lucky as I am, I own a Radeon 9650 with dual DVI and 256MB or RAM so dual display support easily done ^^

Indeed MorphOS releases bring much more than latest OS4 releases.

Fortunately (or not, depending each point of view), A-Eon brings new features with the Enhancer pack the most important one being everything relating video of course : recent 3D, VA-API on RX (forget it on Radeon HD), 2D acceleration and so on...

Let's say that in order to enjoy a correct OS4 system, it will be much more a mess than only burning the ISO of the system and install it (good work MorphOS devs!).

rzookol 
Posted on 20-May-2023 10:03:24
#23 ]

@K-L

major update == update with bigger features, support of new hardware etc.
Since 2014 Final Edition AmigaOS4.1 got (bigger features only)
- updated USB stack
- Amiga X5000 support

Since 2014 Morphos got:
- updated USB stack
- Amiga X5000 support
- Sam 460 support
- R500 3d, r600+ 2d
- Svg icons
- dual monitor support
- firewire stack
- utf-8 support in mui
- printer system
- scanner drivers
- samba 2/3
- shaders
- iMac iSight support
- Wayfarer browser
- Flowstudio editor

Both systems got similar amount of fixes and small updates

K-L 
Posted on 20-May-2023 11:45:41
#24 ]

@rzookol

Wow !! Mine is bigger than yours !! So childish :)

Enjoy your system whatever it is.

BTW : do you use AmigaOS 4.1 ?

Matt3k 
Posted on 20-May-2023 12:40:41
#25 ]

@K-L

Your are very lucky to be the only person who didn't have their cooler leak on the 2.7 cpu card. Everyone I have seen or heard about at least had the green fuzzies starting to show on the cooler seal that hadn't went any further.

You are also very lucky to have a X1000, very nice box!

After putzing around with apple hardware for so long (I know hereasy right? :) ) I got to appreciate the hardware. The ideal MorphOS system to me is the 2.7 PCIX (that you own), a single processor 2.0/2.3 PCIe then upgrade it to a single 2.5 GHz processor (runs half the heat and the heatsinks are nice), or the Powerbook G4 1.67 17". The powerbook is really solid with MorphOS and isn't far behind in speed at all.

The 2.7 is best for Playing HD content (I have a 1950 Pro - A pc card only so no Mac boot).
The 2.5 Single processer seems the fastest overall with loading or just a bit faster than the 2.7 for some things and slower in others. This has a X1900 PPC bios card so I can boot Mac on it, never do though.
The Powerbook is great to take on trips to work or watch movies. I probably enjoy the Powerbook the most really, it just works so well and I can fully work on the road. The best programs to me are Iris that allows me to manage 10k of email on multiple servers and PolyOrganizer, which is exceptionally good CRM that OnTheBall, Time Tracker, and Organizer can't touch as far as features in a modern use environment. I also use Pagestream for word processing. People in the field are always interested in what I use to get work done.

I tried a while ago to get AOS3/4 working in the same manner and it was practically impossible or had so many work arounds it just didn't make sense to be productive.I have nothing against AOS 4 it just had a bad life and is more pie in the sky promises or moves just to be free of code development restrictions. MorphOS chose wisely what to do. Not worry about hardware creation, focus on development tools, and consistantly march along with solid OS improvements and a productive native set.

If you only want to tinker and enjoy an OS to get something working etc. AOS 4 has the nostalgia to be fun and for me and brings back memories. AOS 4 probably also has the most games ported to it (just a guess). If you want a daily driver to do the most stuff and not waste much time MorphOS is the choice there. The last bit of strategy is that when/if they make an ISO shift they have everything they need on one code base to get working together on a new platform.

Lastly, I do have nostalgia feelings with MorphOS, like in my classic days. The updates and improvements are fun to experience along the way.

Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 20-May-2023 at 12:43 PM.

B1200 
Posted on 24-May-2023 7:43:52
#26 ]

@Matt3k

You have my utmost sympathies for leading a hermit like existence using something that can barely be called a "CRM" and PageStream of all things to do productive work. Its a little bit like running a kit car look-a-like Dobel Model E as your "daily driver" to work.

People are going to ask you about it, and they might even make admiring sounds about keeping the old jalopy going despite the lack of coal and water stops along your route to work, but they are going to buy a Tesla - or get the bus - rather than buy an old Dobel with the rust scraped off.

By all means use MorphOS, AROS, AmigaOS4 as a hobby (although all the retro fun is on 68k). Keep the partisan dream alive one more year; but unless your job is actually in the field - why put yourself through all that pain?

You'll get a better experience out of a bunch of Android apps on your mobile, a Chromebook and use the Google stuff for free. Then you'll have more mental energy left to have fun playing ancient ports of late 90s and early 00s PC ports that everyone else stopped playing decades ago. You might even stop worrying about making jabs at the Stanley Steam Car Owners Club trying to run a successful business using Cinnamon Writer.

Still, I admire your stoicism if nothing else.

Matt3k 
Posted on 24-May-2023 17:50:03
#27 ]

@B1200

Appreciate the admiration!

Sure something like SF or Act! will have more capabilities than PO. But if your not using them anyways, perhaps the net yield of productivity isn't much? From my testing that seems to be the case. Although, you bring up a great point mobile sync would be a welcome feature.

My point was MorphOS is much more applicable to day to day. The difference between my PC (Windows) and Mac (MorphOS) as far as productivity via software isn't that great. They both share dual 27 inch monitors and are very productive.

If I ever need a more capable spreadsheet for example (sadly Turbocalc lacks a few features I like), I just log into wayfarer and access a container on my new NAS and voila issue solved right in MorphOS.

Not for everyone, to your point. But the MorphOS Team have been tremendous and deliver a great experience. I can't speak for them, but for some it seems to be a business where quality and deliverables matter and not so much a hobby. I know for a fact they have invested heavily into it and the development toolset certainly makes it relevant.

If you never have tried MorphOS, I would encourage you to do so. It works at a different level entirely to what we are used to in Amiga land. Iris and Wayfarer have come an amazing long way and Iris will have all your email needs up in just a minute. I bet you would be pleasantly surprised by just the default install of the OS...

Last edited by Matt3k on 24-May-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 24-May-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 24-May-2023 at 05:50 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 24-May-2023 19:40:09
#28 ]
Elite Member

@B1200

I enjoyed, playing games, but for me, in interest was how games or demos was made, I fun it try to recreate the amazing demos and games, or make my own, that was my dream. Messing around with programs like PPaint, DPaint, AMOS, ARexx, BlitzBasic etc, made me nostalgic. I do remember games, but don’t get same enjoyment from playing this old games.

I think many of people choose different, belongs to different guilds then the typical Amiga gamers guild.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 24-May-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle