Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 kolla:  10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  13 mins ago
 Gunnar:  14 mins ago
 Comi:  40 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4 Pre-release in UK?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Radfoo 
Re: OS4 Pre-release in UK?
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:01:13
#21 ]

@Eyetech
Quote:
Althought the terms of the original Earlybird offer asked recipients to pay for post and packing for the OS4 CD delivery, we have carried this charge ourselves in order to speed up delivery. This is a unilateral action on our part and does not repesent a change of policy as far as other dealers are concerned of course - that's down to the individual dealer.

I do not remember this, can you provide a link. I guess you will want us to pay when you send the official release .

Oh well, it is good news that you managed to send all the OS4 Pre disks even if mine has not arrived yet .

Profile     Report this post  
ajs 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:08:46
#22 ]

@Eyetech

Quote:
Thanyou for your support and patience

And a big thank you to you too Alan

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Flasheart 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:11:04
#23 ]

@Eyetech

I was under the impression that developer board customers were also going to be included. I don't really mind either way, it's not the money, I just would like to get hold of the Pre ASAP. It's quite frustrating to have been waiting all this time including waiting for the post man this morning only to find out that I may not have a disc on the way and will probably have to wait another few weeks now.

If I have a disc in the post, great it will be here early next week, if not please can the relevant people make it available as soon as they can (and let us know how we can get it).

Alan

Eyetech 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:11:16
#24 ]

Sorry about the odd typos above. I'm sure the words get changed somehow in the few seconds between pressing 'submit' and the message appearing...

Oh well

Alan

RedMelons 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:13:19
#25 ]

Quote:
we have now managed to process and post all OS4-PR packages

Well done and thanks, Eyetech - that was a really quick turnaround from when you received the CD's

Quote:
We (and other dealers) took and delivered a number of orders for 'Developer' boards prior to the announcement of the Earlybird systems

I hope that clears up the issue for those who have been posting that "the AmigaOne is only intended for developers".

Quote:
Please also remember that this 'Free OS4' offer only applies to Earlybird systems and boards

I am a bit confused now about what is meant by 'Free OS4'. I understood it to mean that the final, complete version would be supplied on CD, with printed manual etc. Is this still the case?

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:18:29
# ]

@Radfoo

Quote:

Radfoo wrote:
I do not remember this, can you provide a link. I guess you will want us to pay when you send the official release .

From Eyetech's Website
http://www.eyetech.co.uk/addbar.php?Address=/PRODUCT/PAMA1/AMIGA001.HTM

Quote:

AmigaOne Prebuilt Systems
Most dealers offer two prebuilt configurations, each available with either the AmigaOne-XE G3 or the AmigaOne-XE G4 motherboards. Both systems will generally be shipped with Linux PPC and the UAE emulator installed, the full Debian Linux PPC binary distribution (7 CD's), an AmigaOne Linux installation CD (also containing motherboard documentation) and a printed 'Quickstart' guide. The 'Earlybird' systems (ie systems ordered/paid for before 31 March 2004 - see below) will also include the rights to receive a free user-release copy of OS4-OEM for the AmigaOne when it is available. This OS4 CD will be shipped free of charge.

Interim beta CD's of OS4 may also be made available to Earlybird system purchasers, but most dealers will make a small charge to cover production, handling and shipping for such beta versions.

I read this as the final version will be shipped free of charge, but you MAY be asked by your dealer for P&P for any betas, that sounds fair enough to me

@Eyetech

Alan, Thanks for the update, I look forward to getting by CD shortly

Report this post  
RedMelons 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:22:41
#27 ]

@AmigaOneProductions
Quote:
Interim beta CD's of OS4 may also be made available to Earlybird system purchasers, but most dealers will make a small charge to cover production, handling and shipping for such beta versions.

Thanks, I think that clears it up

Radfoo 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:24:00
#28 ]

@AmigaOneProductions
Quote:
I read this as the final version will be shipped free of charge, but you MAY be asked by your dealer for P&P for any betas, that sounds fair enough to me

Cool . Thanks for clearing that up for me.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:32:02
#29 ]

@Eyetech

Quote:
I am pleased to tell you that we have now managed to process and post all OS4-PR packages for customers who purchased their

That's very good news. Eveyone at Eyetech must have sore fingers from sticking padded envelopes together!

Looking forward to getting OS4 next week - if my postie isn't carrying it on monday she's going to be confronted by a really ugly guy in a seriously bad mood

Swoop 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 11:37:22
#30 ]
Elite Member

@All

On the no charge invoice accompanying the OS4 pre-release CD, is the following statement:-

Quote:
This is your `Free copy of OS4` purchased with your Amigaone Earlybird board or system. Please note that OS4 is still `work in progress` so some parts of the OS4 may be incomplete or require updating. You can update OS4 from time to time by logging on to the Hyperion Website using the serial number on the CD package.
Note that this shipment completes our liability under the earlybird offer.

What about the final release of OS4, and what about the documentation/manual as stated on Eyetech`s website.

As pleased as I am to get the OS4 pre-release, I cannot but feel that by including the above statement, Eyetech are evading/avoiding their stated/contractual responsibilities to Earlybird purchasers.

Alan, some clarification is required, as quoted by Amigaoneproductions from your own website states that earlybird purchasers are to receive free the user-release copy of OS4-OEM for the AmigaOne when available, as well as the interim pre-release. Which situation is correct???

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

FuZion 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 13:05:14
#31 ]

@Mos107
Quote:
When did you order/recieve your A1?

I ordered my A1 as soon as they were announced (For some reason, September 2001 is in my head but I cannot be sure, I upgraded my order to an A1XE G4 as soon as it was announced & received it May 2003.

I am almost ready to flash my ROM... However, a mate of mine borrowed mym RAM because his PC only had 64mb & it was struggling (Typical). I am now having problems getting hold of him to get it back! D'oh!

Don't worry guys. As SOON as it's on. I'll have pics for you. Does anyone want me to test & grab anything in particular? (Remembering, IF I can get my RAM... I bet you lot get, install & use it before me )

FuZion.

Rob 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 13:20:18
#32 ]
Elite Member

I Wish Alan had mentioned this about four weeks ago. It looks like
people like myself who ordered on 15-03-2002 will now be the last to
receive OS4 Pre.
The irony is that I ordered back then so I could be one of the first
to be using OS4 not because I wanted a discount.

amigamad 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 13:48:52
#33 ]

@AmigaOneProductions

Quote:
read this as the final version will be shipped free of charge, but you MAY be asked by your dealer for P&P for any betas, that sounds fair enough to me

£587.00 and you have to pay for the cd thats tight .

Flasheart 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 14:20:34
#34 ]

@Rob

My thoughts exactly. I ordered a few days later on the 18th. I have been wathing the mail since the gone gold announcement and feel quite dissapointed that I'm probably going to have to wait even longer now. Like you the discount was irrelevant and I'm not that bothered about paying for the CD, whats getting me is the waiting.

Depressed

Alan

LordArt 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 17:16:21
#35 ]

@Eyetech

Quote:
These boards were intended for people assisting in the development of OS4, and their purchasers were given a 10% discount on list price at time of purchase (worth around ukp50/euro75/usd 80). Purchasers of these boards are not entitled to a free copy of OS4-PR. Most purchasers in this catagory however already have access to OS4-PR by virtue of their involvement in the development or official beta testing of OS4.

The boards were purchased so people could develope for OS4, which was found out after the fact that it wasn't ready TOO be developed for. It was never stated it was exclusively for those who were developing the OS itself. At that time, OS4 was more on CS-PPC than the A1. If it was for the OS developers only, then why was this program accessable to the general public rather than invite only to the OS development team? I'm an application developer and have been waiting for a LONG time for a means of developing for OS4. For a large part of the time, on the A1dev list it was mentioned that unless you were a beta tester, it wouldn't be released to the application developers because the APIs were constantly changing. That was fine with me at the time. The assumption was, that being a beta tester was by invite only, and that to an extent was true of being an OS developer. In the latter case, I'm not qualified so I didn't persue it. The topic after a few month didn't come up again, and I figuired an announcment saying that a application developer beta was available would be done. Didn't happen.

So now I'm being told than not only as a developer, I can't develope for the system I purchased to develope on (ie. OS4), that people who DIDN'T order the machine to develope, are getting the "Developer" Prerelease w/ SDK. Is there something wrong here or Did I just wake up in bizarro world? On top of that, you say that I have to pay for OS4(assuming that I have to pay for the pre-release, then it would logically conclude I would have to pay for OS4)? I'm 99.9% sure that when you purchased a developer board you got OS4 for free and it was advertised that way at the time(I also have coupons too, but I know that doesn't have anything to do with you). If that is still true, then why wouldn't the DEVELOPER pre-release NOT go to the developers? Because they got a discount? Wasn't that to ATTRACT developers? Or at the very least, to attract early adopters so that one could pay for further developements on your end?

I don't mind paying for shipping of the CD. I do mind that this wasn't emailed out to your purchasers weeks ago so that this wouldn't be something that in the long run, will take weeks to months to resolve after everyone else has their CD.

How would you feel that after two years of patient waiting to develope for a platform you love to be told that EVERYONE ELSE is getting the CD but you, because you did the right thing and purchased a developer board so you could develope. I'm sorry I'm not an OS developer, not something I got into, nor had the time for.

I know this post looks like flame bait, and it's not meant to be, but I am venting. I'm just livid over the situation. I'm not blaming hyperion nor downplaying all the work Hyperion and Eyetech have done to get the A1 and OS4 together, I just feel I did everything right for my situation and am getting shafted.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 17:25:01
# ]

@amigamad

Quote:

amigamad wrote:
@AmigaOneProductions

Quote:
read this as the final version will be shipped free of charge, but you MAY be asked by your dealer for P&P for any betas, that sounds fair enough to me

£587.00 and you have to pay for the cd thats tight .

Huh ?

No-one has been charged for any CDs, all that has been said that there may be a charge for Post and Packing of Beta CD's, which as yet we have not had to pay for that either, remember that under the original agreement we were not entitled to pre-releases, the CD we are all getting now is an added bonus, which as Eyetech have said, they COULD have charged P&P, but did not bother. I take Alan's comment as reserving the right to do so in the future if necessary.

You give somebody something for nothing, yet they still complain

Report this post  
RedMelons 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 17:36:05
#37 ]

@AmigaOneProductions

Quote:
No-one has been charged for any CDs

No, but the

Quote:

note attached with the pre-release CD is puzzling. How do you interpret this?

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 17:54:29
# ]

@RedMelons

Quote:

RedMelons wrote:
@AmigaOneProductions

Quote:
No-one has been charged for any CDs

No, but the

Quote:

note attached with the pre-release CD is puzzling. How do you interpret this?

Yes, I must admit that is rather worrying and I hope that Alan will clear this up soon.

The website DOES differenciate between Beta releases and the Final CD.

If this was the final CD with manuals etc (which incidently the website says nothing about manuals for OS4, only for Linux ) it could be read that as far as this CD is concerned that any updates and support come from Hyperion, and not to contact Eyetech for technical support, again that's fair enough.

The info printed on the invoice sounds as if it should have been written for the final release, not for a Beta, again, only Alan can really say for sure.

Report this post  
LordArt 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 17:59:37
#39 ]

@AmigaOneProductions
Quote:
No-one has been charged for any CDs, all that has been said that there may be a charge for Post and Packing of Beta CD's, which as yet we have not had to pay for that either, remember that under the original agreement we were not entitled to pre-releases, the CD we are all getting now is an added bonus, which as Eyetech have said, they COULD have charged P&P, but did not bother.

That only applies for their earlybird orders that are getting the Pre-CD. Meaning, that they shipped out the CDs without charging for shipping.

I would like to note the following quote from Alan's post:
Quote:
For the odd few people who managed to buy discounted developer boards but did not participate in the OS4 development program, Hyperion have agreed to supply OS4-PR (and subsequent downloaded updates) for a significant discount on list price.

That says to me that if you are in the developer board catagory, you have to pay for the pre-release. Yes? In this case from Hyperion directly.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Jun-2004 18:23:15
# ]

@LordArt

Hmm, Yeah, my last post was aimed at the Earlybird puchasers, but yes, I do see both sides of this, on one hand Alan is saying that developers got a different discount before the Earlybird offer was announced, on the other hand as developers I would have thought that these people should also have been given a free copy of the OS, these are the people who can help the most in rebuilding the platform.

What is [expletive] annoying is that this only seems to have become clear NOW, this should have been sorted out months ago. If I was in this situation I would not be happy, like others have said, in that position I would not have minded paying for a discounted OS4, but to only be told this at the last minute is really not on. We really should not be making life difficult for developers.

Again, this is for Eyetech to clear up, which I hope will happen soon.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle