Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  31 mins ago
 agami:  32 mins ago
 RobertB:  51 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
A3000T 
Re: Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 15:05:45
#261 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

> AFAIK, there is no L3 cache fitted to any of the G4 modules (certainly none on mine).

Mine has L3 cache. The two chips are on the underside of the CPU board, so you can't see them unless you remove the CPU board.

> When I asked about it a year or so ago, I was told "it only
> makes about 5-10% difference, it's not worth the expense".

That is correct, but Motorola only told them that after they found it out by themselves.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 15:20:56
# ]

@thread

OK, i don't want to offend anyone.
I didn't follow the thread completely, so sorry if it already has been answered

I'm still not allowed to enter the A1 owners forum (I already sent the request
to my dealer, which gave me feedback, must be 2 month ago, but still nothing
from Eyetech - should i be given the password or just been added to the owners?)

So i still can't read by myself.

IS there already an official "TODO" from Eyetech, that gives dealers the
possibility to fix the XE's already shipped in an "official" way, which makes
the usage of the in-built DMA together with Ethernet possible, so we can take
advantage of the in-built A1ide-DMA drivers when OS4 become available?
(Same question for USB)

If it prodcues to much smoke than please PM me, i just like to have a little
freh-up on that issue. Thanks

Report this post  
tjaoz 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 15:40:57
#263 ]

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
The chips may share a common heritage, but they are not the same and a CPU card described as being a "750CXe product" could not possibly be based on anything but a 750CXe.

I will recall you this your opinion in the future.

tjaoz 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 15:47:08
#264 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
Incorrect .

What is incorrect?

1. Is it untrue that Adam's PPC A1200 card brain-project, which we are talkig about, is intended to be based on a MPC8555e processor?
2. Or is it untrue that the Adam's A1200 project was announced six days after Elbox Dragon-ColdFire board anouncement?
3. Or is it untrue that announcing these PPC cards by Adam was triggered by announcing Dragon by Elbox?

Quote:
The boards are not vapor and are a REAL design.

Sorry, they are vapour.

I do not believe in materializing of any one-man processor card project in the amiga market. I well remember BoXer, Brainstormer and AmigaOne 1200 projects...

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 15:53:16
# ]

@tjaoz

Quote:

3. Or is it untrue that announcing these PPC cards by Adam was triggered by announcing Dragon by Elbox?

That only Adam would know.

Dave.

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 16:27:53
#266 ]

@tjaoz

Quote:

I suspect it may have been, which was probably an over-reaction on Adam's part. There's only a handful of people who would buy a ColdFire-based accelerator in preference to a PPC card capable of running OS4.

Why pay for a card that only runs OS3.9 and 68K apps, when you could have one that runs OS4 and PPC code -- and is based on a faster processor as well.

You seem to be trying to talk up the Dragon while attacking Adam's work, but all you're succeeding in doing is highlighting how irrelevant the Dragon is.

Quote:
Sorry, they are vapour.

Can you prove the Dragon isn't vapour? I don't see Elbox rushing to provide pictures of the board, or screenshots of something running on it. Given the debacle over the Shark card, I think many people will need cold, hard proof the the Dragon is anything more than wishful thinking.

Toaks 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 16:36:43
#267 ]
Elite Member

@tjaoz

i have known about the ack ppc long before i ever heard about the dragon.

anyway i see that your calling it vapor, then i will call your card DOUBLE VAPOR and im not talking about the dragon, im talking about the Sharkppc which we have heard about since 1999. (and some of us..like me even touched/held)

anyway everything is vapor until they come out in retail/for the masses.

bennymee 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 16:41:09
#268 ]
Cult Member

@DrBombcrater

Looking at the current incompatibilities of the software running under OS4 I think the Dragon is interesting. Elbox is also planning to give the Mediator user a rebat. And if they can manage to emulate the missing instructions of the Coldfire it will be a very nice card IMHO.

For now both cards are vaporware, also after they show pictures, we like to see both running.
I haven't heard of ACK's trackrecord till now BTW.

Last edited by bennymee on 13-Jan-2005 at 04:42 PM.

Toaks 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 16:42:51
#269 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Ack's Trackrecord is the AmigaOne µa1 thats allready out and working its way around the globe.

Last edited by Toaks on 13-Jan-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Agafaster 
Posted on 13-Jan-2005 17:02:29
#270 ]

@Toaks

Quote:
anyway everything is vapor until they come out in retail/for the masses.

I wholeheartedly agree. Longhorn anyone ?

Quote:
Ack's Trackrecord is the AmigaOne µa1 thats allready out and working its way around the globe.

that does enough for me ! any others ? XC ?

Excalibur 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 15:43:48
#271 ]

@A3000T

Quote:
Mine has L3 cache. The two chips are on the underside of the CPU board, so you can't see them unless you remove the CPU board.

Now that's very interesting. My 7455 module is not fitted with L3 cache. There is a place on the PCB for it, but nothing's fitted. Mind you, I have an early "developer" A1XE, so it seems like they were fitted on later models.

Still, the day U-Boot/OS4 supports L3 cache I will fit them.

PR 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 15:56:30
#272 ]

As being too new to this A1, my SBLive and USB are too unusable at the moment
but my god! This is really fast when doing a test with RC and I got a grade of 8,5. My friends 2,5GhZ pc got merely 6 points so there a good point of this.

PR

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 16:31:29
#273 ]
Elite Member

@Excalibur

As has been mentioned, the 74xx doesn's support L3 cache. The L3 interface is disabled. As this costs a bit less money, and the L3 cache would also cost a bit, and it would only igve a theoretical 10% boots (practical use: less), you were sold a version with no L3 cache.

The very first boards shipped with 75xx processors and L3 cache, which only lead to disapointment when enabling the L3 didn't give much of a speedup. At all.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 16:34:01
#274 ]
Elite Member

@tjaoz

I'll tell you what IS untrue. Adam has never claimed the A1200 CPU card to be "75CXe based". The MOTHERBOARD will be a "750CXe product", the CPU CARD will NOT. Go read the announcement again. you are extracting bits of information from two different products and making wild accusations based on what you get. Let's just say it doesn't make Elbox look professional

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Geri 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 16:57:12
#275 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Wrong numbers!

The 745x CPUs have a L3 cache interface, but the 744x series not. His CPU should have L3 cache rams mounted. But the L3 cache is not supported anyway.

- A1 Linux support -

ikir 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 16:58:17
#276 ]
Elite Member

Dragon isn't vapor, Shark isn't vapor, ack PPC isn't vapor.

@PR
Why you don't open a thrad about your problems, probably you do something wrong, so other users can help you.

Last edited by ikir on 14-Jan-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 17:33:31
#277 ]
Elite Member

@ikir

I got my deep doubts that ack's will ever appear as an enduser-product (and only those could turn it non-vapour), but there is still hope.

The Dragon for A1200 could work, but given Elbox's track-record with the Shark, the questionable compabilty and the lack of any hard info, I'd take bets at 10:1 that it will never appear. And even if, it would probraly still require pirated SW and virus-infected firmware......

The Dragon for A4000 is 100% vapour as it can't even work as an Amiga-accell sitting in the mediator, which again sits in a Z3-slot..... hint : there is a reason why A3/4000 have a dedicated CPU-slot instead of just another Z3 one....

The Shark is the running gag of the community, won't run for the same reasons as the A4000-Dragon (add Elbox's obscure Z3-2-PCI-interface to the list), and their claim of running OS4 out of the box makes t-shirts, buisness-cards and bug-free Articias allmost believable stories.....

tjaoz 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 17:41:10
#278 ]

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
I suspect it may have been, which was probably an over-reaction on Adam's part. There's only a handful of people who would buy a ColdFire-based accelerator in preference to a PPC card capable of running OS4.

This is your point of view. Mine is different.

In my opinion there is only a handful of people who would buy a PPC card for their A1200 computers in preference to a very fast 68k compatible card capable of running native 68k applications.

There is no point in such PPC boards like that announced by Adam. OS4 fans, who would like to have boards based only on PPC will go rather for A1.

Quote:
Why pay for a card that only runs OS3.9 and 68K apps, when you could have one that runs OS4 and PPC code -- and is based on a faster processor as well.

If 95% (or more) applications for A1200 are 68k apps, why pay for a PPC card where 68k applications must be emulated, when you could have a very fast 68k compatible board that runs 68k applications natively--and these applications run faster than in emulation on a PPC card.

Quote:
You seem to be trying to talk up the Dragon while attacking Adam's work, but all you're succeeding in doing is highlighting how irrelevant the Dragon is.

I'm not attacking Adam's work, because I doubt that he did anything more than just a few lines of an announcement.

In my opinion Adam made his announcement in order to harm another product, which was announced SIX days earlier.

Such acts like Adam's hold our Amigas' growth and evolution. It's a pity his invention is only a paper thing and real actual products are attacked in this way. It may be one of the reasons why Amiga is now what it is. Think about it. Bye.

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 17:58:40
#279 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Right. Sorry. Ok, so he got one of those boards who have the 745x CPU, but not early enough a revision to have been fitted with the bloody useless L3

tjaoz 
Posted on 14-Jan-2005 18:03:23
#280 ]

@olegil

Could you point me the comment where I wrote about Adam's card for the desktop A1200 that it is to be "750CXe based"?

I wrote about Adam project for towerised A1200 pointing that Adam described its CPU card as '750CXe product.' Isn't it true?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle