Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 Karlos:  45 mins ago
 Rob:  45 mins ago
 amigakit:  52 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Benji 
Re: Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 20:59:16
#41 ]
Cult Member

@all

Would using a powered USB hub help matters at all?

Profile     Report this post  
mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:00:19
#42 ]

@DrBombcrater

Ok ... you are absolutely right. I didn't read this before, sorry :) They really took full responsibility with this text.

>Personally, all I want is a working A1.

As everyone. This is main-computer of mine and so it is important for me also.

>Whoever you blame for the existence of the A1's design flaws, this mess over getting them fixed is totally Eyetech's fault. They could solve the whole thing almost completely by doing three things:

I don't wan't to blame anyone. It don't construct anything. It's much more important to get thing solved, than blame anyone. After all it is question of people and people make mistakes. Of course they have to make something to repair things.

>* Releasing information on what boards are faulty, and in what ways.
>* Giving out a list of dealers who can perform fixes.
>* Providing technical details on the fixes for those who can perform the work on their own.

Very good list :)

>I don't want to have to berate Eyetech. I don't want to argue about consumer protection laws. I don't want to take legal action. I just want information on how I can get my AmigaOne fixed!

>Surely that's not too much to ask for

No it's not, and this is one thing, what I'm waited long time. Because it is been more or less clear, that there is flaws in A1-hw. Somehow it seems, that Eyetech have to react sooner or later. They could be, because this hurts their own image. Also I thought, that it could be incompability between linux and Arctia.

Somehow I want to wait for a while, we need official statement. Hope that someone give one.

Miikka

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:01:30
#43 ]

@Restore2003

Sounds GREAT!!, but no instructions anywhere :) Do you have ... ???

Miikka

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:16:58
# ]

Quote of B.McEwen:
"The first measure we are announcing is that we have pledged ourselves to the production and development of a platform where both users and developers are guaranteed not just a quality product but a total quality experience as well. This will be achieved through a combination of a strict set of Quality Assurance certifications and the AmigaOS only being available to licensed solution providers for the shipping of combined hardware and software solutions."

Sure.. stricktest set of Quality Assurance certifications in the whole wide world

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:29:17
# ]

@hooligan

You didn't need a k in strictest.

A1-XE and SE's effected were always labelled beta, developer, earlybird with the warning
that they might and would contain problems. You know, like the Pegasos 1.

uA1c's are apparently still fine.

Dave.

Report this post  
rigo 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:37:42
#46 ]
Cult Member

@Benji

Yes, a powered (or even unpowered) hub does correct the debounce issue. My USB devices work correctly here with the hub installed.

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:46:24
#47 ]

@DaveP

And it is only few days after last upd to OS4. There may be even bugs in USB-stack or drivers...

Before we have documentation about parts needed to change, it is imposibble to say, wich problem is from where. Anyway it is possible, that there can be software workaround also.

@rigo

Nice to know :)

Miikka

Troels 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:51:02
#48 ]
Elite Member

@DaveP

"A1-XE and SE's effected were always labelled beta, developer, earlybird with the warning
that they might and would contain problems. You know, like the Pegasos 1."

That is not correct.

They where advertised to endusers from many resellers, claiming to have onboard stuff working when OS4 was out. Only thing that was mentioned was that OS4 was still not finished or in Beta.

Eyetech needs to step forward now, hiding won't help anybody only get themselves and their resellers into trouble.

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:52:46
# ]

@Troels

Thats funny because I distinctly remember reading a disclaimer about the non production
status of the boards when I ordered both mine. On Eyetechs site even.

Dave.

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:54:04
#50 ]

@DaveP

Sure, Eyetech warned that the SE and XE boards might contain major hardware faults. They posted information about this on their web site and required all A1 dealers to do the same thing. Clear warnings in big red letters.

(Reality Distortion Field: OFF)

Funny how nobody can find any trace of those warnings now. Almost like they never existed in the first place...

Anyway, that's not the issue here. The faults exist and bickering about whether Eyetech gave prior warnings or not isn't going to get them fixed.

The issue is why Eyetech seems content to have A1 owners stuck with broken boards. The present situation must be frustrating for people with affected A1-XEs, but it's downright scary for us SE owners.

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 21:56:35
# ]

@DrBombcrater

No need to be so damn insulting.

You might recognise this quote:

Quote:

We always made it clear that these 'Earlybird' (and before that the 'developer') boards were not switch-on-and-go consumer boards, but for people who wished to participate in making OS4 & the AmigaOne happen, either as OS4 or application developers, as official or unofficial beta testers, or simply to help make the whole thing financially possible by buying something more useful and more deliverable than a T-shirt.

From here http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7061&forum=12&100

( aw owners only )

I too have been searching for historical views of what Eyetech actually posted, but what I recall
is exactly what I stated above.

If you don't, then the burden of evidence is equally apon you as it is me.

Last edited by DaveP on 02-Jan-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:02:18
#52 ]

@DaveP

Sorry, I'm not trying to be personally insulting, but in the last couple of months I've had that 'Eyetech warned you, so tough' line thrown at me dozens of times without anyone showing the slightest shred of evidence that it is true.

You were just in the wrong place when my patience ran out.

Again, sorry for any implied insult. None was intended.

Edit: Caught out by your updated post, so I'll add:

I've read that bit, too, and 'not switch-on-and-go' is very far from a warning that the hardware may have serious problems. It's about the mildest possible caution.

I read it as a warning that the boards may require some expertise to set up. The widely known problems with the A1 - firmware updates, protected ROMS, hardware imcompatibilities, etc, fall under that heading.

Non-functional sound, DMA issues, USB failures, etc, are far more serious. Nowhere did I ever see warnings that the hardware might be broken.

Last edited by DrBombcrater on 02-Jan-2005 at 10:11 PM.

z5 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:03:38
#53 ]

Let's face it: the new "amiga" hardware should never have had the 'amiga' name on it. Labelling some standard ppc mobo's as Amiga is, in my opinion, a disgrace to the creators of the real Amiga. But that's slightly off-topic.

Anyway, the whole hardware side of things is the biggest problem why there isn't a lot of interest in the new 'Amiga'. The hardware has, at it's best, a very questionable reputation and not because of rumours but because of facts (3 hardware problems so far).

The only reason i'm willing to buy such hardware is OS4. But i don't want a microA1, because for once, after having amiga's since 1986, i wanted something that is expandable. So the XE is the only option i'm interested in. Given the state these boards are in and even more importantly, because there are none available anymore, i can't even buy hardware (which is really expensive) to run OS4 on. I have the money, i have the interest, but i can't buy.

Hyperion seem to be doing a great job on OS4, but the hardware is a very big problem. And something will have to be done about it. Hopefully, some other hardware manufacturer will step in and do better. Before that, no new 'amiga' for me so no OS4 :(

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:07:55
# ]

@DrBombcrater

Ive been browsing through http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.eyetech.co.uk
without a lot of luck, the interesting pages are not logged.

Dave.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:11:32
# ]

@DaveP

Finally got a hit

http://web.archive.org/web/20040204161331/www.eyetech.co.uk/addbar.php?Address=/NEWS/AMIGA002.HTM

Quote:

This of course will not suit everybody, and if you want a switch-on-and-go AmigaOne system then this Earlybird offer is not for you. In this case we're afraid that you have a few more weeks to wait. However if it does suit you th hen don't delay - this offer is for boards and systems ordered up to and including 31st December 2002 or when OS4 becomes available, whichever comes first. Thereafter OS4 will become a separately chargeable item

More dragged out:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040107031408/www.eyetech.co.uk/addbar.php?Address=/NEWS/AMIGA003.HTM

And more:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031204115004/www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/index.php

Last edited by DaveP on 02-Jan-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Last edited by DaveP on 02-Jan-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Report this post  
amigacooke 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:12:39
#56 ]

Isn't the issue here about confidence. How can I recommend Amiga hardware to people I know if hardware issues are apparently not dealt with?

This is a perception problem in a market that is now paranoid after being 'misinformed' on so many previous occasions. The outsider may just think why take the risk?

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:14:29
#57 ]
Hyperion

@amigacooke

Let's make one thing clear: this does NOT affect the MicroA1 boards.

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:16:50
# ]

@DrBombcrater

Sure, I don't know if that is enough in and of itself, however, Im still looking in archives
and caches.

Dave.

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:28:07
#59 ]

@DaveP

I've been through archive.org's stored pages, and done google cache searches, and found nothing beyond that 'switch-on-and-go' quote.

I do remember Alan Redhouse saying in one of his speeches that the earlybird systems were identcal in hardware terms to the final consumer boards, differing only in their unfinished firmware. I'll try and find out exactly where he said that.

Anyway, the very fact that we have to do this kind of fine-grained searching pretty much renders the whole argument moot, IMO.

And we're getting away from the important issue, which is Eyetech's failure to make sure people can get their A1s fixed. No amount of warnings, obvious or obscure, makes any difference to that.

jiyong 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 22:29:18
#60 ]
Cult Member

@DaveP

IMO "not switch-on-and-go" is not equal to "having hardware defects".

I even remember that Eyetech claimed they didn't need April to get DMA working and I also remember they said it only was a matter of writing the right "driver".
This implies we should expect to have working DMA on the A1.

The "not switch-on-and-go" part I always assumed was referring to the minimal Linux installer and having to wait for OS4.

But I also don't have a link on this one...

But what really annoys me is the radio silence from Eyetech concerning the hardware fixes. Even when they tell us they are still testing, than at least we know we have to wait a bit longer to be really sure the fix is correct, or go ahead at your own risk.

[Troll mode]
Or is it the fact they no longer have XE's that they can't test it anymore?
[/Troll mode]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle