IBrowse 2.4 immediately available
Date 22-Dec-2006 20:16:29
Topic: Software News
|Original press release from the IBrowse developer team |
LUND, Sweden, 22nd December 2006 - Stefan Burström and the IBrowse Team are pleased to announce the immediate release of the much anticipated update to IBrowse 2.3.
IBrowse 2.4 brings web browsing on AmigaOS to a new level - below is a very brief summary of the changes since version 2.3:
- New integrated Search Bar, allowing you to easily perform searches of your favourite sites. Search engines can be added manually or automatically via the Mycroft project site
- Plugin API system for embedded objects based on the v4 NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) to allow for easier porting of NS compatible plugins, this is used to allow IBrowse to display embedded objects (such as flash animations) within the browser when a suitable plugin is available.
- Support for AmiSSLv3 has been added to IBrowse 2.4, allowing the use of the most up to date SSL implementation available for AmigaOS.
- Context sensitive mouse pointers have been added, providing different mouse pointers in different areas of IBrowse.
- Background tab loading has finally been added to the Browser Tabs. Links can be opened in new browsers which remain inactive, allowing you to continue browsing the original page uninterrupted.
- The spoofing engine has been totally re-written for 2.4, and provides a range of pre-defined spoofing options.
- HTTP compressed content support has been added, which includes both gzip and deflate algorithms.
- On websites which ask for a username and password in a HTML based form, IBrowse can now (optionally) save these details for future visits.
- Web Advert Control Language (WACL) is a feature of IBrowse based on a proposal by Stefan Stuntz for a user configurable, flexible scripting language to control the display of adverts on webpages.
- Improved general stability and memory leaks plugged.
- Hundreds of other minor and major bug fixes + improvements, and increased tolerance of broken sites for better compatibility.
All these improvements greatly improve the browsing experience, and allow IBrowse to offer compatibility with many more websites than before.
IBrowse 2.4 is available from IOSPIRIT - to purchase, please visit http://amiga.iospirit.de/ (registered users of IBrowse 2.x can upgrade for free, and there is a special upgrade price available to registered IBrowse 1.x users).
For further information, news and product support, please visit http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/.