Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 21 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  2 mins ago
 jima:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 zipper:  53 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 adrianebrown:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 kas1e:  2 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Filer Questions and Suggestions
Register To Post

PosterThread
fingus 
Filer Questions and Suggestions
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 11:21:55
#1 ]
Cult Member

Filer is a well designed and great approach to become maybe the standard File-Manager for AmigaOS4.1.x with all the missing features waiting so long (the long awaited directoy-up-button and opening only one window for directoy-browsing for example!)

Questions:

1. Is it possible to create something like a softlink to let open filer my DH0:, DH1:..etc content, something like a Amiga File-Window replacement by clicking on the Harddrive-Desktop-Icons?
2. Can Filer make use of the Drawer-Configuration, how which Drawer will be shown as icons only and others just as a list?

Suggestions:

1. If it´s not present, see Point Nr.1 and Nr.2 from Questions.
2. I figured out that a big drawer content take very much time to load. It´s a bit annoying. Isn´t it better to show how each file is loaded and display it directly instead of waiting until the complete content is loaded? This is the way the Workbench did it so far.
3. Add a Display feature for Photo-Directorys which have already a Thumbnail preview icon showing it in several columns and rows with the filename below it.

Profile     Report this post  
Derfs 
Re: Filer Questions and Suggestions
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 11:40:38
#2 ]
Cult Member

@fingus

the author does not have an account here, so you may want to post these details where Orgin may see it, such as here

kas1e 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 11:49:53
#3 ]
Elite Member

@fingus

Quote:

1. Is it possible to create something like a softlink to let open filer my DH0:, DH1:..etc content, something like a Amiga File-Window replacement by clicking on the Harddrive-Desktop-Icons?

I second with that question: i think it will be cool integration already :) The only reasson why i still use sometime WB for show the files, its because when i press on volume icon, its open WB, and running manually filer all the time its a bit annoing.

About what i can think for now: if WB does not have option in the prefs to choice "what to do when open a driver", i think from programmers point of view will be pretty easy to write some kind of resident programm, which will be as commoditie, and just catch all the actions of when use want to open volume , and just redirect it to Filer, with opening as root the parition from which action is redirected (Filer allow to run itself like "filer dh0:" , and dh0 will be as root dir).

Strange why i not think before that integration of Filer to WB can be _that_ easy :)

ps. i make a topic with link to that thread on amigans. if noone will make such commoditie (i hope TSK can do that easy because of his past expirience with HB), then i think i will do it.

Last edited by kas1e on 29-Mar-2011 at 11:57 AM.

fingus 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 12:01:39
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Derfs

Thanks for the hint!

I decided to create something like a redirection for this topic to here:

Topic on Amigans.net

Last edited by fingus on 29-Mar-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 13:13:58
#5 ]

@fingus

Isn't it possible to launch Filer with a directory as an argument? If so, it's tedious but you could simply write a one-line script like:

Work:Apps/Filer "Workbench:"

save it as a script (set the s bit in icon info) and give it an icon that looks like the Workbench disk. You might also have to set the default tool to Execute and to run from DOS... I'll try it when I get home tonight!

fingus 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 13:44:04
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

This idea come in mind, too. If that really work, i have to disable the icon-display in workbench prefs for showing the drive-icons on the desktop.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 14:15:46
#7 ]

@fingus + others

You can't turn a volume icon into a project icon because volume icons are saved as Disk.info so Filer would open a directory named Disk instead of your Volume:.

But do it this way. Duplicate Filer executable and icon and rename it to something else. Then change the PATH tooltype to point to any dir you want. Then "Leave out" the Filer icon. Make more copies of Filer and rename them, if you need. Just remember to copy images dir (of Filer) to the same place where you have your copies of Filer otherwise Filer can't find its own imaginery and won't work.

Or don't copy Filer but use Project icons and Filer as the default tool.

You are right it's possible to hide all hard drive icons using that hiding feature in Workbench prefs. Just rename all these copies of Filer as your hard drive volumes/partitions.

Simple.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 29-Mar-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 14:28:31
#8 ]

@fingus

Quote:
2. Can Filer make use of the Drawer-Configuration, how which Drawer will be shown as icons only and others just as a list?

Filer uses a Listbrowser gadget so it's not possible to have icons view with it currently. I've been toying with Virtual gadget if it could be used but the result wasn't perfect. People have made a feature request to add "cell mode" into the List browser gadget. I don't know if that could make icon view possible or practical and if it will happen or when.

Maybe if we ask polite and nicely and many people will do it maybe AmigaOS dev team will add those back buttons and other features into Workbench itself.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 29-Mar-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 14:37:03
#9 ]

@Tomppeli

Yes, Project icons are a more elegant way of doing volumes than a launch script as I suggested, however I'd need to try that and see if it works, as the path to the project file will be passed onto Filer, meaning it can't be a drawer at the same location. Copying the executable around would work of course...

Tomppeli 
Posted on 29-Mar-2011 14:49:48
#10 ]

@Daedalus

But if you leave out those icons to Workbench root window then it doesn't matter where you place Filer and the icons and also when you use PATH tooltype.

We have to ask Orgin to add Project icon support to Filer. Currently it looks like copying the executable is the only way.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle