Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  3 mins ago
 Kronos:  24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Mr-Z:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Final OS4 update stability survey
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Niolator 
Re: Final OS4 update stability survey
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 19:35:53
#21 ]

I haven´t had time to test AmigaOS 4 final so thoroughly yet but so far I think it is more stable than update 4. I can say that It is a lot faster too.

(I have a A1XEG4).

Profile     Report this post  
Snuffy 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 20:01:55
#22 ]

@virgolamobile

I'm wondering if the final OS4 update has brought more stability to the OS.

More stable and very impressionable! Congradulations to the OS4 Team!

It appears as more 'snappier' quicker response to me.

I haven't figured out what to do about the new icon system. The new system
by Mason, uses 32bit interna icons. The png icons are gone. I bet this helps
the system be faster.

All and all, it's going to a happy New Year!

yoodoo2 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 21:16:21
#23 ]

About as stable as update 4. Which is very. The only thing that tends to bring down the system is my own programming. Exorcist comes in very handy!

The only update that I ever found a bit dodgy was update 3. I used update 2 until u4 came along.

Under Final, the whole system is a lot quicker and just feels "cleaner".

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Swoop 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 21:31:26
#24 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile

Quote:
I'm wondering if the final OS4 update has brought more stability to the OS.

I think is more stable and seems snappier, I am realy pleased with it.

I kept a file with my Update#4 tweeks, and have worked my way through that.
When upgrading from #3 to #4, I just copied over my user-startup amd amidock prefs, and worked my way through each problem as it arose.

This time I cut and pasted my old user-startup, to the OS4Final one, for just those assigns I needed. I have copied my prefs from Env-acrhive, again only for the programs I use. The only problem I had after installation was my internet connection, and Turboprint displaying an error on startup. Both solved by the very helpful Amiga community.

I reckon it is more stable than update#4, and it looks so crisp and clean.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Hans 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 22:39:00
#25 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile

For me this is the most stable version yet. I haven't managed to lock up the machine so far. I have had IBrowse DSI once or twice.

Hans

ssolie 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 22:57:02
#26 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile
Very stable on all three of my A1 machines. I find the Grim Reaper can handle bad programs better as well.

Rogue 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 23:27:05
#27 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@painter

Quote:
hen carefully copied over libraries prefs/envarc that were needed for my progs to run.

I would propose to skip that, some of the prefs file formats might have changed.

I recently did something with ArtEffects while testing the final install, no problems here as far as I could see.

Quote:
Next time I'll try capture crashlog but so far have not been successfull can grim be taught to copy crashlog to hd rather than ram?

Yes, on the "crashlog" tab you can select where the log should be written. Note also that the debug output of a program (if any) is usually logged into a (resident) memory buffer that you can dump or write to a file with C:DumpDebugBuffer, that might help too.

Reaps 
Posted on 31-Dec-2006 23:45:16
#28 ]

@virgolamobile

A few days ago, I would have said Final was worse than pre4. After install, I couldn't boot. This turned out to be that I needed to diable INTERRUPT on my Radeon monitor. I was then experiencing hard lock ups randomly (even when the machine was idle) and then this seems to have been fixed by setting SOFTSPRITE=Yes on my Radeon monitor. I've got (supposed to be) a 9250 however it seems to have 9200se chipset.

I then had problems with the netowork. The dhcp client worked (discovered, requested, recieved and set an address) however the TCP stack seems to then have hung and would not respond to anything and a hard reset was required to free things up. However, setting a static IP address works fine.

Now, things aren't *rock* solid, however it is a lot better than pre4 and the overall feel... I like it a lot! Congratulations to all the team and contributors!

Moxee 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 1:24:07
#29 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Quote:

You are doing something wrong then. This version of OS 4 is more stable than anything before. I would guess you are using some outdated programs.

I agree, I did a fresh install in mid week and Final has been rock solid for me after many days of use.

The only problem was that DOpus release, but the fix released the next day solved that. I am very pleased with Final.

to Hyperion

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

painter 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 2:03:08
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

I did notcopy any syystem prefs like screen prefs or gui or font from backup only prefs for progs like WordsWorth and other apps.
Screen prefs and gui prefs I reconfigured anew with the progs in workbench/prefs.Type manager definately needs a fix it gurus after installing fonts and gurus when quit.

@Reaps

I have a radeon 9250 I've been running with interrupt yes and softsprite no. I'll try your settings.

painter

Last edited by painter on 01-Jan-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Last edited by painter on 01-Jan-2007 at 02:04 AM.

TetiSoft 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 19:46:00
#31 ]
Cult Member

@painter

> Type manager definately needs a fix it gurus after installing fonts and gurus when quit.

Short before Christmas I've used it to install the DejaVu fonts which were
distributed with OS4final and had no problems. Crashlogs, font files (when
the problem only appears with specific font files) and a description how
to reproduce the problem are welcome.

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 20:08:48
#32 ]

@painter

I experienced the same things: random DSIs after running or quitting programs, even IBrowse 2.4 registered crashes here sometimes. But its not reproduceable. With OS4 pre 4 all this was stable. I did not copy any envarc files, just libraries and mui libs that where needed from different programs. Still not found whats the cause.

@Rogue
I noticed the shell stack is always 32768 Byte after starting a new shell. This is also the case when I set it to 500000 with STACK=500000 in a tooltype or the shell icon itself. I think this was possible in OS4 pre4.

Last edited by Beeblebrox on 01-Jan-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Last edited by Beeblebrox on 01-Jan-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Simon 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 21:03:02
#33 ]
Cult Member

I did a cleaninstall and I am now installing it slowly day by day to let it take over as many tasks as possible I use the PC for now. I didn't run in to many problems for the moment. Also the Ibrowse 2.4 OEM Version included in the finalversion is much apreciated.

My µA1 never crashes out of his own with the currently installed software on it. Sometimes when trying to install 68k software it can happen it's time for a restart but that's not really a problem. A "modern" 68k Amiga with lots of upgrades crashes waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy more and is a lot more difficult to set up.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

Jamie_S 
Posted on 1-Jan-2007 21:29:05
#34 ]
Cult Member

@virgolamobile

Following the install of OS4 Final here the system seems much more stable than in the previous release.

The only occasional GRs I get are with 3rd party apps. The included version of IBrowse is also nice and stable.

My only gripe at the moment, is that it would be nice to be able to properly kill crashed apps and hide/remove the interface with Grim Reaper. It's also a pain when crashed apps bring the whole system down. I realise this is hard to implement because of resource tracking but still

The new USB is system is very nice... I was really impressed when I was running the OS4 install...had forgotten to plug in a mouse...plugged in a USB one I had lying around... and it worked immediately

lkeller 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 3:50:00
#35 ]

Final Update is very stable on my XE, I have not installed it on my G3-SE yet. The only crash is from Final Writer, which needs some hacks to run as I understand it, and some messages that crash SimpleMail - most recent version .30. When SimpleMail crashes the display locks.

SBase4Pro runs fine as does Final Data. Can't wait to get PageStream5 Pro running.

whose 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 5:55:17
#36 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

ArtEffect runs here (nearly) perfect as well. DrawStudio is doing it's job, several other 68K software running fine. TuneNet runs without any problems (no, not the actual version, it's the older one!).

My machine is running since christmas without any break. I've got some Reapers in the meantime, but none was breaking the system stability (most of the Reapers I could simply ignore).

Will try Settlers today, curious if it runs well or not

Greetz

beingalien 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 8:12:12
#37 ]

@Reaps

Again - you do have 9250 chipset but memory data
width on your card is 64-bit.
Looks like whoever is doing 9250 is working with
128-bit card.

@ anybody getting 9250

E.g. epinions.com allows using memory data width
as search criteria for 9250,so make sure to get
128-bit one.

cHaOs667 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 9:58:54
#38 ]
Cult Member

@virgolamobile

Here at my µAOne-C OS4 Final is rock stable!! Since it's release i had only one time to restart due to bad software - many thanks to Hyperion and all the othere Developers and Beta Testers involved in OS4!!

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

drHirudo 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 10:07:44
#39 ]

My first my AmigaOS 4.final install was over the Update 4 partition without formating it, because I wanted all my configurations, settings and applications made for months to stay, just copied the Update4 install over to other partition for backup purposes. And to my disappointment after installing AmigaOS 4 Final, it was a pure crash fest - apps crashing, system freezing, Joystick and Mouse input recognition disappearing randomly, CPU load to the maximum after running DOpus 4.16 for some seconds for example, DSI, ISI, even the Grim Reaper crashed itself, USB Joystick not working at all, random problem all the time. Very bored I turned my A1 off that day and desided to try to fix it later. The next day I kissed goodbye to my SYS: partition and QuickFormatted it. Then I booted from the OS4 Final CD and made a clean install over the freshly formatted partition. After the reboot I was still dubious that it will work - I needed some time to reconfigure my AmiDock, to set up my assigns and to copy my Internet software and preferences. The Dopus 4.16 68K which I used still made the system freeze after some seconds, so I deleted it and installed the latest AmigaOS 4 port although I needed some hours to reconfigure all my buttons and settings, since the old prefs file wasn't recognised. Then I tryied some applications, tested the old programs and the system felt faster, and it's much more stable than before and even when it was with Update 4 - some applications which gave DSI warnings before, don't give them any more under the same conditions - for example when in Amplifier I scanned my AmigaRemix drawer, it DSIed everytime, now it didn't DSI at all, and I scanned this drawer many times already. SMS Plus - that old port hardly ran any games at all before, now it runs them, although it still freezes when trying to exit it. E-UAE and VisualBoyAdvance work little faster, MPlayer_G3 with overlay support is great, although it crashes after fifth or sixth start, but the old MPlayer with subtitles support works flawesly as before anyway. Yesterday I used IBrowse 2.4 for 6 hours with many sites, without exiting it, many windows poping up, up to five tabs and it didn't show any problem at all, not a single Grim, not a single problem. So for me the AmigaOS 4 final is the most stable version up to now, and the only thing I lack is AmigaInput - got too much used to play Amiga, Atari, SNES, Sam Coupe, C64, Sinclair and Amstrad games with Real Pad not the uncomfortable keyboard. Playing CrossFire 2 with Joypad is great. Now with Keyboard, I don't want to play at all. I tried to take it back from Update 4 without success - I copyied the AmigaInput.library from Libs: and the AmigaInput file from Sys:Prefs/ Drawer, but when I started the prefs program it said that there are no AmigaInput drawers. Then I copyied the Libs:AmigaInput/ drawer from Update 4 to my current install and then the Preference setting program started. It found the Generic USB Joystick, but when I try to calibrate it, after it was found by another program, it crashes. If I start it from fresh boot it goes to the calibration part, but neither the movements, neither the buttons of the joystick are recognised, although the device itself is shown. Programs for example WarpSNES in the prefs part also find it and allows it to configure it, but when a game is started it returns back to Keyboard control. But this is just a little obstacle which won't make me return back to update 4, because the pros from the Final are much more. I would make a partition with Update 4 and boot from it when wanting to play games with JoyPad.

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 2-Jan-2007 10:10:30
#40 ]

@Beeblebrox

Maybe I found out that my instability is caused by netmon. Needs longer testing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle