Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 63 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 michalsc:  16 mins ago
 Hypex:  59 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 maseghir:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 ggw:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 redfox:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiga inc Hires Jamie Krueger
Register To Post

PosterThread
Hans 
Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Krueger
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 7:23:51
#1 ]
Elite Member

@JamieKrueger

If you were to open-source it, would you continue to work on it yourself? I ask this because so many projects have been open-sourced in the hope that someone else would pick it up, but nothing ever happens.

My preference would be for option 1, provided that you are able to continue development. Failing that, option 3 would be okay, so long as you are still involved. Any option in which you no longer work on it is a waste of time, IMHO.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
Swisso 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 7:34:53
#1 ]

@JamieKrueger
Fraid i don't know exactly what AVD is, but i do know how difficult it is to get A1XE boards up and running again having successfully repaired 2 of them. I hasten to add that i did not do this by myself; A-Cube, fellow amigans, perseverence and a bit of generosity go a long way in Amigaland!
I would however say to you that you are looking at around 18months total to get your A1 running.
Given the time frame does that still allow you to consider keeping AVD private? What about borrowing time on another machine while you are waiting for yours to be fixed. I know DiscreetFX have access to one, what i don't know is how friendly you all are with each other over there.?

Last edited by Swisso on 13-Jun-2009 at 08:12 AM.

er....CDTV!

Top | Parent

PosterThread
Benji 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 8:16:52
#1 ]
Cult Member

@JamieKrueger

FWIW I agree with pretty much everything you are saying. Also I think there is a notable percentage of people waiting for resolution between Hyperion and Amiga Inc that will not spend a penny on OS4 until that happens.

AVD is probably one of the more important software releases for the platform at the moment - so as (speedy!) legal resolution should add alot more users AND developers I would go with option 1 still, but put a time-frame on it...

Top | Parent

PosterThread
petrol 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 11:44:08
#1 ]

@JamieKrueger

Have you ever seen any form of AmigaOS5 (and not AmigaDE) running?

Petrol.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerd0c13-Jun-2009 11:47:15
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerLou13-Jun-2009 23:21:17
              Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerManu14-Jun-2009 20:13:13
                  Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerd0c14-Jun-2009 20:56:01
                      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegermausle14-Jun-2009 23:29:45
                          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerDaemon15-Jun-2009 9:19:45

PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 12:56:08
#1 ]
Team Member

@JamieKrueger

Quote:
Now, if you will allow me, I'll try to steer this thread back on topic. That topic being, the future plans for the completion of AVD for AmigaOS4.

Actually that is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is "Amiga inc Hires Jamie Krueger". If you want a topic about the future plans of AVD for AOS4 thats fine of course, just create one.

Quote:
Wow, I knew when I wrote my post that there would be plenty
of opinions thrown out there, but I must say some of you should
to try and control that anger, it's not good for your health.

Perhaps you don't mean to do it. But what you just did in that statement amounts to being one of the oldest tricks in the book. Instead of addressing questions based on a series of factual information declare that those trying to frankly discuss something are angry. I don't see anyone angry here. So lets stow that diversionary statement (whether intended as such or not). You are free to answer what you want and ignore addressing what you want.

Quote:
I am NOT Amiga Inc., nor their spokesperson, and especially
not their lap dog. I am also not a noob, I have been in the Amiga
game since it's early days and been there through all the pain
and suffering. And yes, I too own a T-shirt that is too small to
wear and a $50 coupon I can frame on my wall.

Hmm, "lap dog"? Now who is it here that is really being emothional, you or people you called "angry"? No one called you a lap dog. No one implied that you are a lap dog. Indeed it was mentioned in the thread that your being hired along with Fran Dramis were two of the most credible things Amiga, Inc. had done in recent memory. Thats a nod of respect to you sir, not an insult.

Quote:
On the subject of Bill McEwen, I am not blind to the mistakes he
has made in the past, he admits to them as much himself and
regrets them more then you are likely to ever know. I also was
not trying to defend any of his actions, past or present. My only
point was that no one person deserves to be crucified for
everything you believe went wrong over the years.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. The problem here is that you cringe at all the bad things there are to discuss, and view their mere discussion as a crucification. Bill's relationship to us is as president to a company that in theory is trying to sell us goods as consumers. And the list of issues is unfortunately long. None of those issues are the fault of us, the consumers.

And you do defend him here, you say he "regrets (his mistakes) more then you are likely to ever know". You have made a choice to believe that he is sincere. Much of the community does not share that impression. So since you are so much closer to the situation, please, help us understand. Because the truth is many folks would like nothing better than to gain some explanations about what was going throughs folks heads with Kent, OS5 talk of being ahead of schedule, etc. Help us out here Jamie.

Quote:
It is a fact that more goes on behind the scenes at a given company,
and for many different reasons, than most of us ever get to see.
Much less understand all the motives behind a given decision.
Even as direct employee you are not always privy to what goes
on and why. I for one would never claim to have such complete
knowledge or insight.

Fair enough. But the community has always had an open ear for explainations, and part of the job of any company is to understand when they have shaken consumer confidence and work to really fix it. So lets be frank. You work for a damn small firm, how much of a mystery can everything be? So help us, is ADI real, with 60+ active employees in India? Why did you talk as if OS5 is not started but Bill talked as if it were much further along back in 2007. Help us understand. And if your NDA stops you, go to your boss and explain how damaged the company rep truly is.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Jun-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Jun-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Amiga 1200

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerNibunnoichi13-Jun-2009 14:03:57
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerNibunnoichi13-Jun-2009 14:15:15
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerfairlanefastback13-Jun-2009 22:50:17
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerLou15-Jun-2009 13:10:59
              Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegercv643d15-Jun-2009 13:41:51
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerMoonSire13-Jun-2009 21:40:55
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerfairlanefastback13-Jun-2009 23:07:39
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerelatour15-Jun-2009 19:19:24
              Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerLou17-Jun-2009 17:28:19
                  Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerfairlanefastback17-Jun-2009 17:57:03
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerd0c13-Jun-2009 21:53:04
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerfairlanefastback13-Jun-2009 23:09:40

PosterThread
number6 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 14:36:25
#1 ]
Elite Member

@JamieKrueger

Quote:
I would challenge any of you out there doing nothing but complaining about the state of events, to actually take as much action to try and improve them.

Excellent thought and attitude Jamie, but here's the problem (and you spoke to it in your last post in this thread)

Quote:
While the ownership of OS4 remains in doubt, how many big hardware manufacturers do you think are going to approach either Hyperion or Amiga Inc. saying, let's build two million units of 'X' that runs OS4?

Obviously this kind of thinking is not limited to a potential hardware partner, but to anyone interested in any aspect concerning AmigaOS. Potential software developers often start a conversation with questions about how the legal process is going, indicating it's a strong factor in deciding whether to devote time/money to AmigaOS.
I posted this in another thread and believe it to be true:
Quote:
You can't really help out in a closed society, other than offer your thoughts. If the legal mess ceased to exist and there was a unified leadership, then you might even see a general "cattle call" to take advantage of all the wasted talent we've all seen, who are currently shut out from participating.

My reference to "closed society" should be obvious. Participation is not encouraged. In fact, silence often envelops amigaland because of the legal situation. Jamie, this makes communication difficult to impossible and without communication, the mere discussions on how to make Amigaland better for all can never take place.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Of course development continues and some progress is made. But the root issues I think you refer to are left unattended.

Added: Your option (3) makes the most sense at this time

Last edited by number6 on 13-Jun-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerlinnar13-Jun-2009 17:05:50
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerandres13-Jun-2009 17:28:45
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerfairlanefastback13-Jun-2009 23:32:47
              Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegerlinnar13-Jun-2009 23:51:26

PosterThread
nbache 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 23:42:41
#1 ]

@JamieKrueger

Quote:
JamieKrueger wrote:

Hardware and the SAM440: I did not mean to ignore the SAM boards
for new or available OS4 hardware. I was under the impression that
so far the numbers were limited, and had some issues running OS4
stable. If I am mistaken about that, then great.

Sam440ep and the new Flex model seem to be produced at a steady pace, not in huge numbers, but apparently more or less matched to the current demand. The current OS4.1 for Sam is labeled as a beta, and it - as well as the UBoot - has some known outstanding issues, which are being worked on. But I think it would be fair to say the Sam is no less stable than the A1. It might feel a little slower as a development machine, of course, but only for stuff like compiling, not for general use, editing etc.

Quote:
AVD and Open Source:
Right now I am leaning toward keeping the sources in house for
the rest of this year and see if I can get my A1 machine(s)
running again and continue development. I am still interested
in the more feedback on this. One again,
1) Keep AVD private, and try to continue development.
2) Sell AVD to another developer to finish it.
3) Release AVD as Open Source for the community devs to complete.

I'd support your idea of going for option 1, at least for some time yet. If you get to the point where you have to give that up, maybe you could try number 2. I don't know how much you'd demand for a sale, but if you don't find a suitable buyer, and the price seems part of the reason, an alternative to falling back on option 3 could be to find someone who would take over the project cheaper or for free, while still keeping it under the control of one person or group. It might have a greater chance of staying active than with a complete open-sourcing. Especially if it would be possible for you to stay in touch in a sort of consulting role or something.

Best regards,

Niels

Edit: I agree with the opinion that this discussion really could deserve a fresh thread of its own.

Last edited by nbache on 13-Jun-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Top | Parent

PosterThread
ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Jun-2009 9:57:40
#1 ]
Elite Member

@JamieKrueger

How did this:
Quote:
for me to write software for a potentially competing OS (even personally), would be a breach of my contract. So as long as Hyperion and Amiga Inc. are in conflict, and I remain working for Amiga Inc., development of AVD for AmigaOS4 remains frozen.
1.) Keep the sources, and hope the wind changes soon, and conditions become more favorable for continued development of AVD for AmigaOS4.

Turn into this:
Quote:
1) Keep AVD private, and try to continue development.

In the first quote option 1 says that you cannot develope AVD at the present time, while in the second quote option 1 implies that you can develope it right now (with difficulty). I do not believe you meant to change the meaning, so therefore can you please clarify it, or people may be mislead.

I still say that it is not realistic to hope the Amiga Inc vs Hyperion situation to improve any time soon (if it has not already done so), so choosing option 1 would simply be choosing the death of AVD. The longer AVD's release (source code or otherwise) is delayed, the less value it has, partly because other people work on their own solutions.

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Jun-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Jun-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie KruegerAmigo114-Jun-2009 13:43:01
          Re: Amiga inc Hires Jamie Kruegeryoodoo214-Jun-2009 14:28:19

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle