Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

RobertB

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  10 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 57 mins ago
 amigagr:  6 hrs 7 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  6 hrs 42 mins ago
 Amiboy:  7 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Register To Post

PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 14-Aug-2004 9:52:34
#1 ]
Cult Member

@blitterstorm

On most systems yes but the G5 and Opteron systems don't suffer from this as each processor has a sepearte bus (The Opteron actaull has interprocessor buses so that each processor can talk to another one close to it or hop through it to talk to the one enxt to that!). Pity they didn't ahve a G5/Opteron when they designed the BeOS, that would be one kick ass system!
I can't remember what off ahnd but there were a couple of things in developemnt which were scrapped when the BeBOx was cancleled, it was in production for a few years though as either the 66mhz or 133mhz version, there was even a few 200mhz versions used internally by Be and their most trusted developers. A quad version was in development but never finished.
A lot of the old Be freeks who had BeBox's (About 1,800) would see that and go "WOW! I remember that... not that you could ever do anything with it but man was that cool!" and if you could run the BeOS on it may buy one but a much bigger adavtage would be homebrew hardware which was mainly what the Geekport was used for. It would be cool and don't get me wrong I'm not against the idea but it is adding more cost to the system. This would mean wither and FPGA would need to be added or an ASIC designed and fabbed, neither would be cheap, esspecaily bulk FPGA programming (I am not doing that in house! You would have to get someone to write a load of them for each batch of motherboards) this isn't my are of expertise. though am more than willing to learn which means expenisve devlopers kits and books/documentation.
If you do the research and enough people tpo make it worthwhile say that they would buy an AmigaFive motherobard if either 1)It had a Geekport 2)It could run Haiku/BeFree/Blue Eyed OS/Zeta/Hacked BeOS R5 Pro or R5.1 Dano or 3)Both then I would be happy to develop such a fetaure providing these people were able to raise funds to donate to the project for both a board and devlopers kit (Unless there is someone here or in the BeOS community that is good with VHDL or Verilog and has the nessacery hardware and would be willing ot do this for free).

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 14-Aug-2004 11:45:04
#1 ]
Elite Member

@blitterstorm

Note that EV6 bus is a point-to-point bus protocol. Refer to http://www.zen26266.zen.co.uk/ath3.htm

Both Alpha EV6 and K7 Athlon uses this bus protocol.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle