Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  3 mins ago
 vox:  10 mins ago
 matthey:  19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  26 mins ago
 Swisso:  27 mins ago
 Birbo:  51 mins ago
 klx300r:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:50:51
#1 ]
Elite Member

Once OS4 has some hardware which can be bought (and so OS4 can actually be sold!), it *might* make sense to charge for new OS4 hardware licenses - but until then beggars can't be choosers, and Hyperion is the one doing the begging (for hardware).

I doubt that Hyperion are stupid, so I can only assume that their hands are tied by Amiga Inc. I almost wish that Genesi had gotten their hands on OS4.... But really, it's too late for Hyperion to do anything more that will improve matters now (unless Amiga Inc go bust tomorrow), so we'll just have to see how the dice fall at the BB4. I don't think I'm overstating things when I say that the BB4 is crunch-time not only for Troika, but for OS4 too.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
che 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:20:10
#1 ]

@Seehund

Quote:
AOS4 can NOT do without commercially attractive hardware. Else it can't be sold.

I have a CSPPC and I would immediatly buy a copy of AOS4.0. (I paid once $50 in advance for that) And i'm shure i'm not the only who would buy it. But the numbers are getting lower and lower, as Morphos Powerup runs pretty well.

Markus

Top | Parent

PosterThread
saimo 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 23:55:14
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Quote:
BBRV/Genesi or any other remotely relevant hardware producer don't "want" AOS4.

It never crossed my mind that one could go badly after something he/she does not want. I feel enlightened

Quote:
They want to sell hardware, and AOS doesn't help sell hardware any more than the other OSs which already run on their hardware.

Let me get it straight - English is not my native language, so I'd like to make sure I'm not misinterpreting you.
Are you saying that AOS4 would not help selling the HW because there are already other OSes doing the job? Fine. What is BB doing here, then?
Or - as it seems to me - are you saying that AOS4 *would* help (although not more than the other OSes) selling the HW and thus, obviously, a welcome addition to the collection of OSes? Fine. Then I don't get how it can be that he wants to sell HW, he realizes AOS4 can help and still he does not want AOS. And, on top of that, there's the fact that he's been after AOS4 ever since. I kinda feel short-circuited.

Quote:
Rather the opposite, I'd think. Either way it's worth neither money nor time to try to get permission, a licence, to be allowed to try to sell AOS bundled with and dongled to their hardware

BB has invested and keeps investing time and money to get AOS4 (and this very thread is just the last example). The license may not be worth it, but AOS4 is
In practice, he's just trying to dodge the license. Whether because he just cannot get it or does not want it is unknown and, after all, irrelevant: in both cases he is playing questionable games.

Quote:
For their sake I hope BBRV are only wooing AmigaOS loci in their spare time when they have nothing better to do...

I'll be very worried the day I can't find anything better than investing my time, energies and money to go after something I don't need (or even don't want at all).

Quote:
AOS4 can NOT do without commercially attractive hardware. Else it can't be sold.

Agreed. But... where's the news?

Quote:
None of whatever pointless projects which have gotten their pre-progress reports pre-pre-pre-announced are commercially attractive.

Unless you mean something else - in which case I'd ask you to elaborate -, you are saying the projects being discussed these days are commercially pointless, right? So, what facts can back up this statement? You know, without them, this is spreading FUD.

saimo

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Seehund7-Sep-2006 4:50:43
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 13:10:07
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.polka.7-Sep-2006 13:36:24
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 15:53:00
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.jorkany7-Sep-2006 15:32:57
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Zylesea7-Sep-2006 15:47:55
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Seehund7-Sep-2006 16:48:11
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Seehund7-Sep-2006 16:43:53
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 18:03:52
                      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Benji7-Sep-2006 18:10:16
                          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 18:30:32
                              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.jkirk8-Sep-2006 12:15:18
                                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo8-Sep-2006 14:21:52

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle