Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  34 secs ago
 NomadOfNorad:  5 mins ago
 Lou:  23 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 zErec:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 8-Sep-2006 7:32:07
# ]

Quote:
@Atheist

gary_c wrote:
Quote:
And what does that mean? Is it really Amiga Inc.'s or yours?

I imagine he's referring to Amiga, Inc.'s closing down amiga.org's Cafe Press web shop recently. Isn't that well known by now?

Hi gary_c

Honestly, and bbrv wasted our time on bringing this up crytically because? It's non-sequitur to his "announcement".

Quote:
Quote:
Still trying to get AOS4.0(x) for US$4.50 per licensed copy to ONLY those who request it at time of purchase?

That was the price in the old AmigaAnywhere negotiations, wasn't it?

Indeed it was, and I guarantee you that bill gates didn't become the 6 billion dollar man, ten times over, collecting $4.50 per windross install.

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with anything today.

To bb it does, that's the price he wants it for.

Quote:
I assume if AOS4 did run on Pegs, Hyperion would get the full sales price of the OS. Amiga, Inc. would get whatever percentage of that that they and Hyperion agree on. It has, or should have, nothing to do with Genesi (or any of the other would-be hardware producers). This is my view on the license fee, of course.

There's the problem, there is NO WAY that we could get accurate figures of how many shipped WITH AOS4.0(x), and there is no push to get it bundled, hence Rogue and associates will be sitting by the mail slot, with never a "check in the mail" there.

Quote:
AI might well insist on something completely unrealistic. After all, they have nothing to lose: they don't really seem to care if AOS4 produces any income for them or not, judging from their past behavior.

Well, they have only two choices, a big up front flat fee and low, low license fee, or just a big license fee per copy. That's the ONLY revenue stream that exists for them, and they are entitled to it, as they DID acquire the rights for it to be available to us.

Quote:
Quote:
There is only one way for AOS4.0(x) to survive, and that's with a one-to-one ratio of motherboard and AOS4.0(x). Anything else is suicide.

If there's one thing that everyone around here who has any knowledge of these markets has agreed on, it's that the AOS4 market is not big enough to sustain a motherboard project by itself. That means selling to users of other OSs. That means a one-to-one hw/AOS4 ratio is not possible.

If I were them, I'd wait and wait, they know what's at stake.

Quote:
You can dream about the Amiga user base zooming steadily upward until the hardware company is supported by those sales alone. But dreams don't pay the bills.

See above.

Quote:
A long time ago I proposed an idea to take care of the "unique Amiga computer" desire and AOs piracy protection at the same time. There would be a USB dongle sold with the OS, but not just a simple stick; it'd be wired to a case-front bezel badge or something to mark the computer as an "authentic Amiga". The badge would only be available with the shrinkwrapped OS, and the OS would only run when the badge is plugged in. Is that cool or what?

-- gary_c

Gary, that's first I heard of your idea.

Well, I have no opinion on that, others would have to say if it's possible/secure/worthwhile.

Hi Dirk-B,

Hehe. Bingo!

Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.gary_c8-Sep-2006 9:12:01

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle