Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 74 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  11 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  16 mins ago
 michalsc:  24 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  30 mins ago
 Rob:  30 mins ago
 gryfon:  31 mins ago
 A1200:  49 mins ago
 K-L:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Register To Post

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 1-Aug-2004 13:52:48
# ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@digitaldisaster
Who would give someone a loan over x00000$ when said person doesn`t even have 6000$ of his own capital ? Noone ....

It's interesting you mention this, as previously you made the comparison

Quote:

Look at how much time and money bPlan invested into the Pegasos1/2, based on technology 1 or 2 generations behind the G5, and with people who have some real experience in PPC-HW-design ....

You think bPlan were funded entirely from thier own pockets? Considering their past, would you think that they'd be any more financially attractive for investors than this project? "Yeah I know what I'm doing in this field, I used to be high up in a small company that did exactly the same kind of stuff, but that went bankrupt while working on similar projects" Real inviting that is

Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Posted on 1-Aug-2004 11:37:32
#1 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

I wish I knew where you are getting these figures from, I don't know the costs at the moment, I have made enquires but I can't tell you anything until I know myself. Please be patient and until we ahve some hard numbers stop scaremongering with unjustified 5 figure numbers.
I am fully aware that to succeed it would need to be market to linux, BSD etc. customers, much as the Eyetech A1 is but I also have no real means ofdoing this and I don't think that the Linux/BSD communitites would be anywhere near as supportive of such an effort as the Amiga community, they would be even more skeptical than you are

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
Troels 
Posted on 1-Aug-2004 11:36:23
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

For once I agree with you, the Amiga/MOS market are certainly not big enough to fund such a project
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some thoughts on the G5 project.

1. I generally like the idea, very much:)
2. Getting it produced in quantities big enough to keep the price down is gonna need a LOT of money.
3. It has to be cheaper than a (well supported) Mac, if it is to be sold to these markets (Linux servers etc.).
4. copyright on the Eval, board, licensing costs?
5. raising money for a non-profit project will be next to imposibble?
6. Getting Linux people interested in the project
7. How many Amiga users are actually interested at this point (and MOS users..).
8. Are Eyetech/Kmos interested in a non-profit hardware market, will they eventually participate in the project?

What does the board cost from Momentum if ordered in larger quantities (talking 1000's instead of just one)?

Ok, this was just some thoughts, hope you get some kind of green light from Hyperion regarding OS4 support, I will certainly follow this project closely.

Troels

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster1-Aug-2004 11:48:47

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle