Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  19 mins ago
 Hypex:  36 mins ago
 utri007:  45 mins ago
 Karlos:  47 mins ago
 Frank:  47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  48 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 1 min ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /   the secret project of Hyperion II
Register To Post

PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion II
Posted on 6-Aug-2009 12:51:36
#1 ]
Elite Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

Well, there are other that dream something like this too:

HTC Dream is the Amiga for Android
http://androidguys.com/?p=1793

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: the secret project of Hyperion IILeo6-Aug-2009 13:08:32
          Re: the secret project of Hyperion IILeo7-Aug-2009 19:16:43
              Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIfingus7-Aug-2009 21:42:47
      Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIalx6-Aug-2009 15:37:30
          Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIAmigaBlitter6-Aug-2009 15:44:54
              Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIalx6-Aug-2009 22:29:42
                  Re: the secret project of Hyperion IITheKorn7-Aug-2009 1:12:37
                      Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIsteril6067-Aug-2009 1:52:59
                          Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIvox7-Aug-2009 2:52:20
                              Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIcha05e907-Aug-2009 10:19:30
                                  Re: the secret project of Hyperion IIPR7-Aug-2009 14:17:05

PosterThread
QuBe 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion II
Posted on 8-Aug-2009 5:05:38
#1 ]

@TheMaskedMuchacho

Quote:
Looks like PS3 is the only affordable cell system around, i would buy one today if it ran OS4.x, the argument that its not a real computer is dumb, it has a cpu, ram and a hard disk like any other computer. the only real argument against ps3 is the closed nature of the hardware, lack of expandability and inability to make use of the GPU but as a computer for running a hobby OS (not my words, used by many others here though and mostly true) it would be perfect, would expand the user base and may make a future more expandable cell based system a possibility. not my choice though, ill take whatever option im given if i can afford it and do without if i cant.

Basic problem I have with the PS3 is the Ram. The Cell/RSX combination is very powerful... Killzone 2, GT5, Unchartered 2, God Of War III are all amazing examples of what the PS3 is capable of. It is a computer, a very powerful 64bit computer, hobbled by low amounts of Ram.

Actually if OS4.1 did run on the Cell, and was optimised to use the Cell in its entirety, it would be incredible. Simply put, even it were closed, and RSX was not available to us, i think OS4.1 would be so efficient RSX may not be missed. If a deal were struck with Sony they may even allow 2D acceleration... the point being that OS4.1, if built for Cell, could run on PS3 (albeit slightly hobbled), but would also run on other Cell based hardware that did have GPU access therefore usable across a number of different Cell based hardware... the only drawback being that the PS3 platform would be somewhat closed.

In essense it permits an OS to be developed over the years that could, once newer hardware were available, be used on an open system. It is probable that a new manufacturer comes along (maybe even a company like ACube) to produce a "new" Amiga which was Cell based, had a decent NVidia/ATI GPU, and had loads of ram (and expandibility) options for Amigans and OS4.x etc.

PS3, due to its popularity, could well help to push AmigaOS forward because alot of enthusiasts would look into it, purchase a PS3 and purchase the OS, therefore supporting its continued development... for driver development and for future implementation of the OS on "other" Cell based architectures... what we need is cheap powerful hardware and an OS that includes basic functional web technologies that are needed to make a computer really useful to the majority of users...

Q!

"i am home"

Last edited by QuBe on 08-Aug-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 08-Aug-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle