Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  4 mins ago
 blmara:  25 mins ago
 Karlos:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Register To Post

PosterThread
DAX 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 18-Apr-2011 10:36:30
#1 ]
Elite Member

@KingKong
I see you mean good, and those opposing you are always leaving out an important part of what you say: you say (or imply) billions will be invested so that with a ton of programmers the OS will evolve fast, and with large scale production a new AmigaOne could be competitively priced.

I don't think anyone here can argue that billions could do exactly that, it would be interesting to understand where to find the billionair company/investors that would put that kind of money on the table

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000A120018-Apr-2011 11:45:03
          Performance BattleDAX18-Apr-2011 12:03:50
              Re: Performance Battlecheesegrate18-Apr-2011 12:12:15
                  Re: Performance BattleKingKong18-Apr-2011 13:09:27
                      Re: Performance Battlecheesegrate18-Apr-2011 13:33:37
                          Re: Performance BattleKingKong18-Apr-2011 14:03:17
                              Re: Performance Battleopi18-Apr-2011 14:07:31
                                  Re: Performance Battlenumber618-Apr-2011 14:22:53
                                  Re: Performance Battle18-Apr-2011 14:24:26
                                      Re: Performance BattleOlafS2518-Apr-2011 14:28:36
                                      Re: Performance Battleopi18-Apr-2011 14:29:42
                                          Re: Performance Battlecheesegrate18-Apr-2011 14:39:25
                                      Re: Performance BattleKingKong18-Apr-2011 15:17:22
                              Re: Performance BattleArko18-Apr-2011 16:32:55
                      Re: Performance Battleopi18-Apr-2011 13:41:16
                          Re: Performance Battlecheesegrate18-Apr-2011 13:49:51
                  Re: Performance BattleTheDungeonDelver18-Apr-2011 16:12:19

PosterThread
vidarh 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 18-Apr-2011 10:42:12
#1 ]
Cult Member

@KingKong

Quote:
AmigaOS needs only to be stable and secure (memory protection would be nice but should be possible) and must have a good Linux emulation (MSwindows emulation would be nice too) - that's nearly all for starters.

None of that can/will happen without at least memory protection, and you won't get sufficient performance to compete without also adding SMP. That's a large part of why I've mentioned both. It requires a *massive* lift in terms of OS features.

Quote:
The price of the X1000 may be high - let it be 2000 ¤ - but some hardcore gamers, hifi-freaks, etc. pay more (though not for the X1000)

They pay more because they want hardware that's perhaps 10 times as fast as the X1000 will be.

I intend to buy the X1000, but I want to buy it because I have a special relationship to Amiga and AmigaOS. Most people don't, and won't be willing to pay for something that costs far more than a typical PC without performing accordingly.

Quote:
In mass production the X1000 can be as cheap as any PC.

That doesn't help when there's no possible way to get the kind of demand that would be required to ship the many tens of thousands of units a quarter that would be necessary to get the kind of economies of scale required to bring the price down that low.

If we're lucky we'll see volumes sufficient to start making tiny dents in the price, but there's no way we'll see volumes that can bring the price down towards PC territory anytime soon (as in: not unless we manage several years of rapid growth, which is at best highly improbable).

Quote:
The advantage of AmigaOS is that it's much smaller than MSwindows and therefore (potential) faster, less power consumptive, less bug-infested, more usable for small devices and real-time computing.

And all of these are irrelevant in a day when my *phone* has a 1GHz ARM CPU with 512MB RAM that can run *java* apps fast enough for me not to notice any latency.

The world has moved on. While having a small compact OS is still great, it isn't sufficient of a differentiating factor when hundreds of MB of memory cost as little as it does, and the systems needs a fast CPU to handle things like video and javascript and flash anyway - the performance and memory benefits of AmigaOS vs., say, Android or plain Linux are lost in the noise for most users.

Quote:
I see the chance for AmigaOS to kill MSwindows - one (the EU) must only want.

Sorry, but that's pure fantasy all the time it doesn't have a feature set that would make it possible. It'd take dozens of full time developers for several years before it could hope to have the features needed to even be an option. Who would fund that when they could invest the same amount in Linux - a system that's far more mature, secure and feature complete - and that is well known and understood?

I'd love for us to get AmigaOS (or any derivative) to that stage some day. Stranger things has happened. But even if *everything* goes 100% perfectly in our favor, and investors magically line up to help grow the market, it'd still take many years of hard work before it'd even be possible.

It's more realistic to think it won't happen, but that perhaps we will be able to grow the community to a few tens of thousands over a few years. Even that will require a lot of things to go just right and a lot of people working really hard.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000hotrod18-Apr-2011 12:00:48
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000Jupp318-Apr-2011 14:00:23

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle