Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  14 mins ago
 ktadd:  15 mins ago
 Hypex:  19 mins ago
 Darth_X:  58 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Amigans, do not surrender!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gleng 
Re: Amigans, do not surrender!
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 14:17:55
#41 ]

@whose + @elwood

Fair answers!

Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 14:19:48
#42 ]
Elite Member

@elwood and whose

Good points. I'd like to add that developers looking for a project to contribute to could look at JAmiga, Amizilla (Firefox), AWeb and the OpenOffice effort. JAmiga in particular could use more coders and you definitely don't need OS4 hardware to work on that one. Someone could, for example, work on a generic Applet plugin framework that browser developers could then use to write a Java Applet plugin for their browsers. An Applet plugin would make our browsers more usable as there are still enough sites out there that use Applets.

Hans

-Sam- 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 14:23:08
#43 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Quote:
If I wasn't sure hardware is coming, I wouldn't waste my time talking here :-/

You are 100% sure of that?

Gleng 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 14:31:20
#44 ]

@-Sam-

Quote:
You are 100% sure of that?

That's the thing isn't it. I think the silence is doing more damage than anything else.

whose 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 15:10:08
#45 ]
Cult Member

@elwood

I think it's the "natural" solution for our (perhaps temporary) problem. This way it is even possible to develop "professional" software (speak: non-open-source, licensed and paid software), if people do not expect TOO much. Amiga market is a (very) low profit market ATM but I think it is still possible to raise it to a much higher level, if people learn to work together for this goal.

If they really want to do it, it's the wrong way to compare AmigaOS with Win/Lin endlessly and complain about the lack oft software and hardware IMHO. Hardware is not so easy to build, but for software, everybody who wants to take his part of the work is able to do it.

They, we, have the tools, let's use them.

I'm really eager to hear the comments of the people involved in the hardware question, if OS4 users could show them lots of Software for it. With raising demand for hardware (even more then today, although I think today there is already quite high demand for it) there would be a high pressure on them to provide hardware as fast as possible and in every possible way. But the first step is "AmigaOS only" software, open source software isn't strong enough (IMHO), and this software can only be developed by teams of people who know exactly what they really wish to have.

Greetz

-Sam- 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 15:43:30
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Gleng

Quote:
That's the thing isn't it. I think the silence is doing more damage than anything else.

Exactly. It is a situation that breeds little confidence.

hotrod 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 16:06:15
#47 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

It all comes down to: I didn't buy an A1 since I thought it was too expensive, too old... well... now you want one and you can't get one...

then you need to wait! What's been said is that AOS 4 will be launched once new hardware are available and AOS 4 is ready! .... don't want to wait? Well... who's to blame?

corwin 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 16:46:09
#48 ]

@elwood

Being deeply involved in the mozilla project, it is clear to me that no firefox on the amiga platform is a showstopper. The things I am ready to do in the opensource world are not the same as the ones in the proprietary world. Linux exists because its opensource nature makes people contribute to it (including myself) and they benefit back from it. AmigaOS isn't an opensource OS so there is very little incentive to work for free for it.

Actually, hyperion doesn't look interested in supporting these initiatives, if you want my opinion, when you have a dying platform with a crucial lack of basic mainstream applications, the very least would be to officially say that you support these initiativces and that the people that will have contributed to port these key applications to your platform would get AOS4 for free.

BTW, ODF is an ISO standard, I use it all the time since I live mostly in the Linux world, several of my clients in the French administration use this format as well, so yes, it's important to support open multiploatform standards, just as jpeg is supported.

AmigaPapst 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 16:49:38
#49 ]
Cult Member

@elwood

I will never surrender. I'm your Amigapope.

ssolie 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:04:42
#50 ]
Elite Member

@elwood
Quote:
Every action for OS4 is something done not for the others, but for you. Don't wait, act now!

Just finished porting and fixing up lpd so I could print from my Mac to my A1. Hopefully others will find it useful as well. It was really hard to actually accomplish something positive and not take a cheap shot a Hyperion's contract which I know nothing about but I managed it.

-Sam- 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:06:10
#51 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:
It all comes down to: I didn't buy an A1 since I thought it was too expensive, too old... well... now you want one and you can't get one...

It most certainly does not come down to that. As those that have an A1 are still in a similar position as there is no guarantee that the Amiga will continue for them either. Without new hardware it's all over.

There is no way on this earth I will buy an unfinished pre-release product. I want to wait for an official release which includes the hardware. I don't want all of the annoyances that come with beta releases. If this can be achieved then the Amiga will get the support it deserves.

Quote:
then you need to wait!

What other choice do we have? It's just that you do tend to wish it would all just end and stop dragging on year after year.

hnl_dk 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:12:03
#52 ]

@elwood

Quote:
Every action for OS4 is something done not for the others, but for you. Don't wait, act now!

I did just port the very old version of autoconf (2.13) ... I have no use of this (but was asked to get it to work)

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

jorkany 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:13:04
#53 ]
Cult Member

@ssolie
Quote:
Just finished porting and fixing up lpd so I could print from my Mac to my A1.

Why would you do that - is there some printer that OS4 supports that OS X doesn't? Conversely, why use the Mac at all?

ssolie 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:32:08
#54 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany
Quote:
Why would you do that - is there some printer that OS4 supports that OS X doesn't? Conversely, why use the Mac at all?

This is off topic. Please PM if you wish to discuss.

Hitback 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:32:44
#55 ]

@Thread

There is no reason to get into a whole debate about leaving and staying. I for one have set a reallistic time line and I think that everyone should just cool down for a minuet and think things out.

If no Amiga hardware appears (I have a deadline till october) or is in the hand of several betata testers then for those who can't wait any longer have to make their decision and those who choose to stay stay.

In my opinion and this is my opinion I think something will materialize but will I be Happy with what I see is another question.

Either way Amiga will always hold a special place in my heart wether I stay or go.

elwood 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 17:36:05
#56 ]
Elite Member

@corwin

Quote:
AmigaOS isn't an opensource OS so there is very little incentive to work for free for it.

Huh? You can't work for an OS you like, just because it is commercial?
Anything you can do to make the OS live longer is good because it is good for you before being good for the OS owner.
It is just a matter of what *you* want.

Amiga Translator Organisation

corwin 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 18:13:28
#57 ]

@elwood
Sure, where can I download/buy AOS4 to help it?
AOS4 is not available, my old classic amiga is now dead, what should I do ? Buy an expensive second hand machine with no guarantee that it will last untill new hardware is available ? Too late, I bought my laptop 8 months ago, my savings are now invested.

Everything I do is related to web technologies, the amiga browsers don't support the most basic web technologies. Should I abandon my opensource work on mozilla technologies which has an impact on tens of millions of users and can potentially impact almost everybody with a computer on earth so as to use this time to work on opensource project s for a closed-source OS used by a few hundred people at best and with no prospect of even a minimal growth in the future? Of course not.

As much as I like amigaOS, an OS is here to help me do my work, not the other way around.

Hans 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 18:20:15
#58 ]
Elite Member

@corwin

Unfortunately we have no idea when AOS4 will have new hardware available to run on. In the meantime you could get AmigaForever or UAE and AmiKit to emulate a classic machine. Get AmiDevCPP (just use google to find it) to set up a dev environment for AmigaOS on your laptop and develop Amiga software.

That's if you want to develop software for the Amiga. If not, find something else to do. Your work with Mozilla will eventually be of use to us as well when Firefox is finally ported.

Hans

Oppressor 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 18:25:00
#59 ]

@elwood

>> AmigaOS isn't an opensource OS so there is very little incentive to work for free for it.

> Huh? You can't work for an OS you like, just because it is commercial?

Of course you can write software for any commercial OS in your free time, but developers are less and less inclined to do so. The difference with open source efforts is that they are not in the hands of a few individuals which control of the course of your contribution, or even sink it out of stupidity. When I'm starting a large project today, I'm making sure that my effort isn't endangered by a third-party dependency or point of failure.

What makes things worse is that the Amiga programming interfaces are quite different from the world outside, which basically breaks down to the POSIX, Win32, Dot Net, Java and several scripting language domains -- of which only few are fully supported on the Amiga. Development-wise, everything Amiga (MorphOS, AROS too) is practically dead, because all enthusiasm is based on a prospect for the wellbeing and longevity of your efforts. It's difficult to get your behind up for a large project anyway, but for the Amiga and its derivatives it's close to hopeless at the moment.

If it's for a closed environment, then I prefer to code for money, so that I'm getting a compensation for the loss of control over my work. Of course that's just my point of view, other developers may still move any mountain for the Amiga any time they like...

elwood 
Posted on 17-Jul-2006 18:25:07
#60 ]
Elite Member

@corwin

I seems clear to me that you prefer to work for Linux (or Mozilla) so I don't know why we discuss in the first place

Amiga Translator Organisation

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle