Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 Hypex:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 21 mins ago
 allegewould:  7 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Seehund 
Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:18:20
#1 ]

Since there's apparently still a small influx of newbies to Amiga fora (welcome!) who never heard of this despite my incessant nagging and whining all over the net, I just thought I'd post my usual triennial reminder. ;)

As predicted and as most should be able to see, AmigaOS is in a world of crap today. AmigaOS4 "and all future versions" can never be sold for meaningful and competitive hardware on a functioning market, and therefore will remain dead for all practical intents and purposes. This is unless Amiga, Inc's compulsory hardware licensing and bundling scheme is cancelled.

If you agree with this, and do not wish to only be allowed to buy AmigaOS if it comes bundled with (nonexistent) "special" hardware sold through an AInc-licensed vendor, then please read and sign this petition.

After this week-end, I will collate the petition data again and send it not only to AInc. like before, but also to AInc's VC investor. Those who have claimed to have been in contact with AInc management recently are encouraged to share any verified working AInc addresses; e-mail or snail-mail. Suggestions concerning additional recipients are also most welcome.

Why am I still going on about this and post this now?

Well, the Petitiononline.com people FINALLY decided to acknowledge my repeated requests to get access to my "new" administrative credentials there, after one year of me being unable to see the collected raw data. Pentti Kouri's name and contact means were divulged thanks to AInc ending up in court again. More than two hundred new petition signatures have been added since I sent the last batch to AInc. New ones seem to be added every time I post here with my sig.

I haven't been able to muster much energy and enthusiasm to spend on this for quite a while now, and I doubt that this will change. It's been 5 years, things look as bleak as ever, I can't be ar$ed. I do however think I have some sort of obligation to "newly" added signatories to also let their voices be heard as requested, and while I'm doing that I might as well post this reminder in case more would like to join.

Some apparently necessary notes:

The petition was written in 2002 and obviously contains some obsolete references. Yes, PPC went and died (for personal computers, at least), as did the Pegasos and POP. But please note that the petition's suggestions to drop the current licensing scheme are applicable to and essential to implement for all hardware, regardless of CPU architecture, and that Amiga Inc's current policy applies to "AmigaOS4 and all future versions".

Real names might carry more weight than online nicknames and handles do, it's up to you if you really wish to be an anonymous voice. I will not share your e-mail address with anyone, including AInc, without your explicit permission. The recipients only get your entered names and comments.

If you have already signed this, please don't sign it again! If you're unsure, and can't be bothered to search through 28 pages of signatures, please e-mail me at E AT MAIR DOT COM and I'll search the raw data for you. Also send an e-mail if you wish to delete or change your signature or your optional comment (enter a new signature and comment, then e-mail me and I'll remove the old ones).

To the remaining AInc fans, please note that it's a petition, not a chat room or a multiple choice poll. You only sign if you agree with the petition's message. You do not sign a petition if you disagree with it. Abuse will be deleted, but please spare me the hassle.

The URL again:
http://www.petitiononline.com/amigaos/
Introduction (old, but the things that matter are still true):
http://amigapop.8bit.co.uk/intro.html

Profile     Report this post  
The_Editor 
Re: Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:26:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Kudos for persistance

Now.... should I sign it ?

pavlor 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:34:54
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Good luck!
But I will not sign this petition.

Rob 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:36:42
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

I thought that you'd given up on Amiga. I hope your petition is more successful than the one on UK road pricing.

jorkany 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:56:11
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Seehund
Quote:

After this week-end, I will collate the petition data again and send it not only to AInc. like before, but also to AInc's VC investor.

You've sent it to AInc. previously? Did they ever respond and if so what did they have to say?

bernd_afa 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 16:05:03
#6 ]
Cult Member

Maybe you ask how much money they want to release the source.
Maybe you get an answer and the Amiga community can really buy OS3.x sources or maybe parts of it.
But if nobody know what Ainc want or do, nobody is help

If the reason is only the bundle sheme i dont believe.I think its just there cant get money.
MOS too run not on new or other Hardware as non Beta.If can get money i dont understand wy this is not sell on MAC PS3 etc.
MOS have the important feature that Hardware3d work with opengl.On OS4 seem only warp3d on Radeon 7000 work correct.(I see on Radeon9000
gear demo with display errors:

I think ainc are not so friendly than Zapek who release Ambient.
But when look what Ambient in the last 2 Years get progress and new features it look as best if AOS is buy out from Ainc.

I think there are many that want enhance it or code can add in AROS.
Same with me.When i can use the original AOS sources AFA OS can develop many times faster.It is some work to make AROS code compatible.

I spend over 2 Months to get the picturedatatype compatible.
Now it still have Problems with some few programs that want save over datatypes.

When i have the original source, only what to do is add few lines for alpha channel Support.

hatschi 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 17:09:29
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Quote:
Those who have claimed to have been in contact with AInc management recently are encouraged to share any verified working AInc addresses; e-mail or snail-mail.

Can't help you with any *working* email adresses, just with the ones that *don't* work:

publicity@amiga.com [sic!] not working (link to Amiga.com forum)

I have also repeatedly tried to register to the "official" Amiga.com forums, but never got an activation mail. Multiple times I have sent emails to the webmaster (Ray?) (webmaster@amiga.com) about this issue and never got a reply. Apparently fairlanefastback has similar problems...

ssolie 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 17:41:59
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund
Is this just one last "See everybody, I was right!" or is it a sincere effort to invoke change? I think over the years and the countless diatribes I know I can't tell when you are trying to help or not. That's the trouble with an overly aggressive campaign.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 18:23:12
#9 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@Seehund

[quote]I have also repeatedly tried to register to the "official" Amiga.com forums, but never got an activation mail. Multiple times I have sent emails to the webmaster (Ray?) (webmaster@amiga.com) about this issue and never got a reply. Apparently fairlanefastback has similar problems...

Yep, no answers from them at webmaster@ or publicity@

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 18:30:24
#10 ]
Team Member

@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Seehund
Is this just one last "See everybody, I was right!" or is it a sincere effort to invoke change? I think over the years and the countless diatribes I know I can't tell when you are trying to help or not. That's the trouble with an overly aggressive campaign.

What makes what he is doing "overly agressive" in your mind?

Amiga 1200

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 18:45:46
#11 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Personally I think; Seehund thinks every thing is bad hw, sw, Amiga name every thing.

Seehund 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 18:52:11
#12 ]

@jorkany

Quote:

jorkany wrote:

You've sent it to AInc. previously? Did they ever respond and if so what did they have to say?

Twice, printed out and sent per regular mail (when they claimed to be located in Snoqualmie), and per e-mail. There was no confirmation that it had even been received by anyone. That's why I'd be interested in an address that someone has actually gotten a human response from.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 19:02:44
#13 ]
Team Member

@NutsAboutAmiga & ssolie

I guess then I'm curious what you guys think a positive campaign would entail?

Amiga 1200

Seehund 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 19:02:52
#14 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Seehund

What makes what he is doing "overly agressive" in your mind?

It must be those car bombs. Maybe I went a bit too far... Oh well, I hope that's water under the bridge now!

ssolie is right of course, I'm just posing. Also, I'm touched by his concern for with which degree of efficiency that certain ideas, which ssolie apparently opposes(?), are propagated. The purpose of the names and addresses I'm collecting is to make money on selling lists to spammers, and to practice stalking and car bombing.

:P

(The AInc brick wall and the status quo of AmigaOS aren't the only reasons I'm f-ing tired of all this. Some comments really make my brain huuuurt.)

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 19:14:55
#15 ]
Team Member

@Seehund

Quote:
Suggestions concerning additional recipients are also most welcome.

Gary_c recently linked publicly available court documents and exhibits in another thread here. From those I would suggest:

Pentti Kouri - believed to be the chairman of Amiga:

J. Grzymala - purported by some to be the accountant for the firm at the listed NYC address:

This is the link gary_c sent:
http://www.merlancia.us/amiga-hare/

The 4th .pdf, 340k in size lists the email addresses.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Amiga 1200

hatschi 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 19:28:11
#16 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Since you are NYC-based, wouldn't the signatures be a good reason to have a look at their "office(s)"? If you are really lucky, you might even meet Mr. Grzymala there, I think also Pentti Kouri is living in NY.

Don't forget to take some pictures. ;)

vision 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 19:35:51
#17 ]

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately. A warning may be issued depending on the severity of flame/attacks.

You are not allowed to attack other members of this website. We did ignore quite a few other more minor attacks and mean spirited posts you directed at users elsewhere, but this is one too many. Have 4 days off to think about how you should treat people. - AMiGR

Last edited by AMiGR on 23-Feb-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Last edited by AMiGR on 23-Feb-2007 at 02:05 AM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 20:07:34
#18 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Since you are NYC-based, wouldn't the signatures be a good reason to have a look at their "office(s)"? If you are really lucky, you might even meet Mr. Grzymala there, I think also Pentti Kouri is living in NY.

Don't forget to take some pictures. ;)

I think the photos posted from Cecilia's field trip probably cover everything, coupled with her descriptions of the visit and Garry Hare's assertions. :)

Mr. Grzymala supposedly is the listed Comptroller (and board member) at Hakia.

http://www.hakia.com/company.html

Since some of the same players are involved I wonder if it might be worth cc'ing their comments email address on the petition:

http://www.hakia.com/contact.html

Hakia may be a way to get in contact with the right people. Maybe they are so involved with that as a new project that they don't know how down the Amiga community is in regard to hardware and OS4 availability (even though Bill M. is thought to have an idea)?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Amiga 1200

pixie 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 20:12:25
#19 ]
Elite Member

@vision

Free will means that you might as well NOT choose to...
As for Personal insults, their against TOS you know... even if you're calling funny to someone elses

pixie 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 20:16:01
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Seehund, can I change my sig to use also my real name then?Quote:
Real names might carry more weight than online nicknames and handles do

BTW, it was about time you to sent my sig to Amiga Inc

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle