Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  2 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  5 mins ago
 Hypex:  15 mins ago
 mailman:  34 mins ago
 fbosisio:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 celemtine:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Jumjum:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 misspoli:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 tinyfishing:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 ssyoutubeonline:  1 hr 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4 on AOne? (How far?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
CodeSmith 
Re: OS4 on AOne? (How far?)
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 6:56:42
#61 ]
Elite Member

I'm curious - why not? is it for backwards compatibility's sake, or does the RDB have info in it that cannot be expressed in an MBR? (feel free to get technical - I can handle it! >)

Profile     Report this post  
Kay 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 7:24:48
#62 ]

> It depends. If you have either an additional harddrive, or a Linux installation with a Rigid Disk Block partiition table,
> you'll be able to use this setup. Otherwise I'm afraid you need to reinstall - you cannot put an AmigaOS partition
> onto a DOS partition table...

Just one question: Will I be able to rip out my harddrive from my A1200 and use it in my A1 without reformatting?

Kay

olegil 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 9:28:16
#63 ]
Elite Member

@frosty:

I would advise using RDB with Linux from the start...

I've been trying to get Ross (who made the installer for Debian on AmigaOne) to create a bootdisk with amiga-fdisk instead of the regular fdisk, but he didn't want to do that...

It would help if you could easily partition with RDB when installing Linux

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Rogue 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 10:32:45
#64 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:
I'm curious - why not?

RigidDiskBlocks are required to be within the first 16 blocks of a harddrive. It could (theoretically) be changed, but it would still require that there is a place somewhere at the beginning of the disk where you can actually put the RDB, which is very unlikely.

I am not sure if you can put an FFS partition onto a DOS partition table, but in any case DOS/Strap would have difficulties finding it.

Rogue 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 10:36:24
#65 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:
Just one question: Will I be able to rip out my harddrive from my A1200 and use it in my A1 without reformatting?

Sort of, yes. The drive on my A1 was formatted on the A4000 then put into the Amiga One.

Note however that the official install routine will not support installation over an existion system (i.e. there is no "upgrade to OS 4" option). It would be a horrible nightmare to support all sorts of modified startup-sequences, modified system layouts and what have you (not to mention the presence of incompatible software like Datatypes for example).

I'm sure you could manage to do so by hand, and I am quite certain that at some point someone will publish such an upgrade guide, but the standard installation CD will not support it out of obvious reasons...

RobertDupuy 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 15:22:49
#66 ]

It's a bit tiring to see the Friedon brothers going on the attack yet again because someone made a comment and they don't 'know'.

I know that OS 4 is not released.
I know that its taken too long and I won't be buying it now.

I'm not a MOS user. I got a betatester board, but it never worked...but this is all neither here nor there.

What you have taken to doing is going in a very circular logic...this is for you Mikey_C.

If you are an Amiga Fan, you won't criticize, if you criticize you aren't an amiga fan.

Therefore anyone who says anything that you don't want to hear, is a troll and is in the wrong.

That's a very tight circle.

vortexau 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 15:34:04
#67 ]
Elite Member

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Beerman told assembled fans of the Amiga computer that he was having a special drink in honour of the efferts of Rogue and EntilZha!

He said, "Tell them that Beerman has taken notice of their efforts and is drinking a long cold-one to them!"

Code on!

(Corus) "He's straight -- he's tall!
But he'll drink you down the wall.
He's Beerman! Beerman! Beerman!

Beerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrman!

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 15:39:32
#68 ]
Elite Member

LOL vortexau I'll drink to that!

Kay 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 16:00:53
#69 ]

@Rogue:

Ok, thanks for the answer. As long as it can use the hardrive without destroying all the data on it, I'm happy...no need to delay OS4 further.

Kay

_Steve_ 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 16:14:55
#70 ]
Team Member

Quote:
by RobertDupuy on 28-Aug-2003 15:22:49

It's a bit tiring to see the Friedon brothers going on the attack yet again because someone made a comment and they don't 'know'.

I know that OS 4 is not released.
I know that its taken too long and I won't be buying it now.

No, what is tiring is seeing people constantly going on about how well (or not) developed the OS is, and yet they cannot have a clue as they are not a member of the development team. People are all in the habit of stating opinion as though it were fact.

OS4 is not released publically no. As for how long it has taken, that is a pointless reason to not get it. Seeing as development started 2001/2002, it has only been going on just over 1-2 years. Looking at MOS, which has been in development 1 or 2 years longer I cannot see the problem here. Even OSs like Windows have several years in development, and they have much larger development teams!

Quote:
I'm not a MOS user. I got a betatester board, but it never worked...but this is all neither here nor there.

If that was the case, why didn't you take up the issue with the people you bought it from and get a working one. There are enough people out there with earlybird systems that are fully functional. This is hardly the problem of the OS developer now is it.

EntilZha 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 16:15:19
#71 ]
OS4 Core Developer

> It's a bit tiring to see the Friedon brothers going on the attack yet again because someone made a comment and they don't 'know'.

Nonsense, I didn't attach anybody. I just set some things right.

What I find tiring is that I should not be allowed to speak my mind when sombody spready BS. NicoPPC didn't criticize, he spread false rumours. I just corrected that.

> Therefore anyone who says anything that you don't want to hear, is a troll and is in the wrong.

Nonsense.

Isn't it great, everytime *I* correct someone, I'm the idiot. Really great. I'm obviously not allowed to speak my mind.

Thank you very much for denying me that right.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Crumb 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 16:45:45
#72 ]
Elite Member

@EntilZha:

nah! I'm sure you are doing a great work so, don't reply to these trolls, they don't deserve it... they only want to spread BS but they will have to shut up really soon

Graphics.library seems to be the most complex remaining part of the OS to adapt, when it's finished don't forget to show it booting on a One to shut up some morons ;-D

As everything is progressing well do you think that the One and the Cyberstorm versions will be put on sale at the same time?

Seer 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 16:49:06
#73 ]
Team Member

@EntilZha

Thank you very much for denying me that right.

You only have 1 right. Finish OS4 ASAP

Kidding, kidding, put down the lightsaber, and move away from it slowly

(I see you have... improved your avatar )

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 17:12:14
# ]

@RobertDupuy
Have faith, I myself have been coming back here time after time, I am glad to say that things look like they have been progressing nicely. I WILL be buying an A1 in a month or so, and I WILL be happy to see OS4 come out, I WILL also be using OS4 solely in my home. As I also make computers for people in a parttime role I'll certainly be encouraging people to come over to OS4. Otherwise they can carry on with Linux or Windows etc, until they see the light!
After that I will be making computers for people fulltime. And when I have enough squid, I'll buy a number of A1 boards too.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 17:29:23
#75 ]
Elite Member

@ RobertDupuy

Quote:
Therefore anyone who says anything that you don't want to hear, is a troll and is in the wrong.

Nobody is even remotely suggesting this.

NicoPPC talked as if he knew specific reasons why AmigaOS4 would not be available soon or "maybe an half-working version.", while in fact he is not anyone who could actually know such things.

Hiding behind "I just gave my opinion that's all folk" doesn't work for me when raising such claims. Anyone could (more easily) do the same with regard to the development status of Peg2, etc at MOS websites as well.

Luckily this did result into rather informative replies from Hyperion.

Georg 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 17:30:03
#76 ]

Quote:
NicoPPC didn't criticize, he spread false rumours. I just corrected that

False *negative* rumours. IMHO motiviation to correct
false *positive* rumours doesn't appear to be quite as
big ...

olegil 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 18:15:50
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Georg:
Interesting theory.

Could you point me to some of that false *positive* rumour so I can read it? Haven't seen much around. Except the odd spoof on ANN which usually gets shot down by Ben Hermans. Which would kinda negate your theory, but ok...

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Palpatine 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 19:09:44
#78 ]

@EntilZha & Rogue

Hey guys, why don't you show us the progress on the upcoming Benelux event? The first time in 2001 you were there and it was quite a succesful event. Many of the other familiar faces that were there then, will revisit this year. We expect a bigger number of visitors, we have much bigger premises, and many many more exhibitors. How about it?

Oh and if you leave your lightsabres at home, I promise I won't use my lightning bolts

Cheers,
Ron

Georg 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 19:16:49
#79 ]

For example over the last year and maybe longer many
people posting about their excitement that OS4 is just
around the corner. Only a few weeks away. Or many
months ago that OS4 might already run on the A1 which
might be a surprise in one of the coming shows. Or when
ExecSG was shown on the A1, that there's already
the Shell or DOS ported, too, because you could enter some
commands.

There were lots of such positive rumours. Mostly
corrected after (quite) some time, IIRC, but as said
not with a quite that big motivation/hurry.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Aug-2003 19:24:34
#80 ]
Elite Member

@ Palpatine

The location picked for BAS 2003 is at least most excellent.

I am happy to see that Jürgen Schober of point.design is already planning an AmigaOS4 demonstration for the upcoming BAS event! So I certainly plan to come there as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle